• Page:

TOPIC: 1995 Toyota Avalon XLS

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 23 Dec 2015 13:11 #1

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Merry Christmas to all out there in Gadgetman land!
I recently acquired a 1995 Toyota Avalon XLS for my wife, and I'm dying to grove it :woohoo:! I haven't taken off the throttle body yet but based on the pictures from google it looks like my 1st generation 2002 Honda Insight CVT which the throttle body air holes to the right and left of the throttle plate that opens. I would greatly preciate help / pictures etc before starting, that way I don't hurt / mess anything up.

We all greatly miss Ron but in times like this I really miss him because I remember this model being one of his best groove successes :woohoo:.

Wherever you maybe Ron we greatly miss you and wish you a Merry Christmas:)!

Froehliche Weihnachten,
Merry Christmas,

Joseph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 23 Dec 2015 19:27 #2

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
P.S. Should I groove with the small medium or large? :dry:

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 23 Dec 2015 20:38 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Certified Gadgetman
  • Certified Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 378
Well, the rule Ron gave us was- always use the largest bit that can fit. Before I Groove, I look the TB over carefully to see if there are any likely bit break through areas. I will clean, scuff, and back fill w/ JB quick any suspect places, before I Groove. This saves having to patch a hole and re-Groove, and eliminates the risk of wallowing out the Groove w/ a re-cut. You might get a spare one of those ones on ebay right now and work w/ it, unless the car isn't needed to be used for awhile. Good Luck! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Carburetor Coach
Mood Elevator
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 23 Dec 2015 21:18 #4

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Great idea. My fear is getting the wrong one. That make and model generation ran from 94 to 99 so is it safe to assume that all 90's Avalon's throttle bodies will fit and electronically work with that first generation of Avalon's? So in other words will the 1999 eBay Avalon throttle body fit my 95 Avalon? What frustrates me is when the eBay sellers don't get back with me to let me know or at least tell me they don't know.

Merry Christmas,

Joseph

Last edit: by Joseph33.

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 23 Dec 2015 22:16 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Certified Gadgetman
  • Certified Gadgetman
Well you're right there, Joseph. I always have looked super close and asked myself those Q/A when looking at ebay auctions. It's called Due Diligence. IF it was mine, and I had time to work on it, I'd just use the one on it.

Tracy
Tracy Gallaway
Carburetor Coach
Mood Elevator
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 24 Dec 2015 00:30 #6

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Would you happen to know if the Toyota Avalon will need as much air as what it seems to be the case in the first generation Honda Insights?
For the Honda Insight it would seem that I need a large reroute to the left side as well as the right side; so should the Avalon have a similar large air hole reroutes :dry:?

Merry Christmas,

Joseph

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 24 Dec 2015 03:08 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Certified Gadgetman
  • Certified Gadgetman
I'd say that if the Avalon is conventional non hybrid, then you can probably both reduce and re-route IAC air. The Insight is a new "insight" to doing the IAC mod when it is a hybrid. I'm guessing the car can run on battery, while the engine acts as a generator for the battery bank. I haven't done a hybrid yet. But your experience w/ it shows the need for further understanding of the strategy these hybrids use. It sounds like the engine needs substantial airflow, with the throttle mostly or completely closed.

But I think, correct me if I'm wrong, the Toyota Avalon is a conventional gas engine, so conventional IAC mod strategy should be Ok. I've seen pics of lots of TB's that have that center wall, and IAC air goes in around both sides of wall. Your Insight just happens to have that center IAC air wall. Turned out yours didn't respond as could be expected, 'cause it's a Hybrid, that's all, far as I can tell. Honda is famous for putting leading edge stuff in their cars, ever since ever since. I'd expect the Avalon to be much more straightforward. Just do it, you have great technique, Joseph. ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Carburetor Coach
Mood Elevator
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: