2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 06 Jan 2019 18:50 #1

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 270
This is Rob's truck.
Owner of SuperXPower in Milaca, MN.

Almost 2 months ago, i put the groove on his TB, and capped off the pcv. There is a weak spot directly under where the groove goes. Having trouble posting pictures in the message, so I've attached them at the bottom.

Also, upon first start up it seemed hard to start. Turning over, but nothing happening until i tapped the gas pedal. I know its important to not do this with electronic throttles, but thats the only way it would start. After it did start, the idle was normal and smooth.

The customer had his first experience of "dryer vent exhaust" from a gas engine! Ill be posting his video soon. He said his truck was snappy before, but he had never driven his truck aggressively like he did after the groove.

I always check in with my customers if they havent called me in 2 weeks or so after they have the groove, and so ive called and reminded him throughout the weeks to make driving like that a habit if he wants better mileage, more power & lower emissions!

With 60k miles, the lifetime average before groove was 15.5mpgs. Recently over the phone he said he had driven about 4,000 miles with the groove, and gained little in mileage. He is very patient and says "We'll ride it out through summer and see how she does" Any ideas? Assuming his map sensor needs to be moved, exhaust wrapped, spark plugs gapped properly etc. I really want to get this guy better mileage!
Michael Lee
(USER BLOCKED FOR ETHICS VIOLATIONS)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Michael Lee.

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 06 Jan 2019 18:57 #2

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Here are some pictures of where i had to apply jb-quick for the weak spot, the pcv tube, crankcase breather tube, and the backside of the TB.
Was rushed a bit for time, he was closing early at noon, so i didn't think to get a picture of the groove. Just slapped it back on quick. I DID feel good about it's shape though!
Michael Lee

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 07 Jan 2019 11:09 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
It's tough to see mileage gains in cold weather, when the truck's sensors see denser air and deliver fuel to compensate for that to maintain 14.7:1, but if the customer has seen an improvement, wait for spring to realize the full potential of your work.
also - and I had this happen with my vehicle - reduced fuel consumption means an engine might not get as hot, so the truck may be slipping in and out of closed loop. Partially blocking off my radiator helped.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee, David Seaich

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 07 Jan 2019 18:31 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Is Ecoboost a direct Injection engine?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 07 Jan 2019 18:43 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Apparently so:
Ford EcoBoost engine - Wikipedia
That would be another explanation for lack of gains.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 07 Jan 2019 19:37 #6

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Michael Lee

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 07 Jan 2019 21:22 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I'm going to stand by my earlier reply, Michael, and suggest that you might want to start looking into ignition improvements (Granatelli has coils for this engine) and sensor modifications (EFIE for the o2 sensors at least, if not MAP re-location and "enhancer" circuitry).
If the EcoBoost engines still use Ford's orifice tube and DPFE to operate the EGR, there are (rather, there were on the old forum; I'm not sure they've made the cut. I can probably dig something up for you if you need it) some posts about options with the EGR. I suspect the analog system of past has probably long been replaced with a digital computer-controlled EGR so who knows if what I'm talking about is germane in this case.

We had the discussion about direct injection engines on a thread about Nissan's Titan Trucks. EcoBoost Fords are now on the list as well it seems.

FOUND THE THREAD: Gadgetguys with gas analyzers - EGR / DPFE test - Groovy Forums
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: Added link

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 07 Jan 2019 21:40 #8

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thanks Greg. Yes it seems so. Ill look into this engine and its sensors/egr more. Ill mention Granatelli coils to him. I am, but i don't think he's the type to get the EFIE, or the map enhancer. Id like to know more about how those work too. I'll tell him about it and who knows! Good things might happen. I will re-locate his map, and wrap his 02 sensors though.
Michael Lee

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 08 Jan 2019 09:34 #9

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
The Granatelli coils are expensive - do the EFIE first.
Here's why, straight from the inventor:
Remember, with more complete combustion, the oxygen content of exhaust is higher than the factory sensors are programmed to see (your proof: dryer vent exhaust), so the computer will infer it needs to deliver more fuel - NOT what we're after here, right?
at $28 each, it's a no-brainer addition to our arsenal. (buy the manual once and it's yours forever...)

I should really get around to putting mine on, so that I'm less of a hypocrite...if it works out to get me another 30% or more (or even not that much) mileage on top of the groove etc, it's totally worth it.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Preston

2016 Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost 14 Jan 2019 08:09 #10

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Fellers, failure to achieve gains in direct injection engines has nothing to do with this, as the fuel is still injected (according to the YouTube research I've done on this) just before the valve. This indicates to me the name is a misnomer.

Look at the placement of the MAP sensor, using your enhanced awareness of flows and eddies. I believe you're going to find it located in a high pressure zone.

As The Groove amplifies both the lows AND the highs, this creates a counteropposition in the dynamics.

Look at the entire system before you make any assertions.

Remember, once you make a statement, you are leading others. Let's do a better job at being reliable and respected teachers, please.

When any of us share inaccurate info, we lead others down dead-end paths. This is more a disadvantage as it leads EVERYONE that follows, many, many who have yet to hear about The Groove.

Lean less on what you have been taught, and more on what you've learned!

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

• Page: