Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 13 transit connect snake oil confusion- resolved

13 transit connect snake oil confusion- resolved 23 Jan 2020 21:04 #1

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 9
So I added my snake oil to the gas, engine oil, and coolant system and within a week, my water pump went bad among other issues with valve cover gasket(? my notes aren't in front of me) and transmission gasket.
Ford transit connect 2013. 105,000 miles.
I'm not suggesting the snake oil CAUSED the problem, I'm wondering if the pump/ gaskets were already on their way out? The van was under carmax warranty so Im thankful it didn't cost me anything to fix but I feel compelled to share my vans reaction and hopefully shed some light on what happened.

She was running great up until she overheated in a drive thru line... Any ideas?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Darren getchen.

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 24 Jan 2020 00:03 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Darren, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Everything I know about the Snake Oil formulations tells me that they in their different forms ought not to have caused these issues. I'd assume, of course that the proper versions were used in the proper applications.

Everything I've seen by direct experience, and read or heard from other's comments/testimonials, has shown nothing but improvements, sometimes radical improvements.

I'd have to assume that the water pump was about to go. There's been reports of oil consumption De-creasing in some cases. I doubt strongly, that the gasket leaks could be result of Snake Oil application. Did you by chance change to full synthetic oil in engine or trans, before or at the time of using the Snake Oil?

Again, thanks for telling of this here! Let's see if anyone else has any input on this.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darren getchen

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 24 Jan 2020 05:32 #3

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
No I did not change any fluids. The van was exactly how it was from the dealer when I added the snake oil.

The more I think about it, all signs point to: the previous owner raged on this poor van. At 107,000miles I had the ball joints got replaced, front axle... The spark plugs were roasted...

You guys know better than I do... Should I be considering another round of snake oil for the engine oil and fuel?

My brain is having trouble with this one

Last edit: by Darren getchen. Reason: Answered question asked in reply

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 24 Jan 2020 09:21 #4

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
The issue you described (overheating in a drive-thru) is more indicative of a radiator fan failure in some way. Since yours is almost certainly electrical, I would give a good going-over on that system.

I would start by replacing the fan switch. That is what triggers the fan, and may be starting to fail.

I would like to ask who diagnosed it as a water pump failure? And WHY? It is unusual (if not impossible) for a water pump to all of a sudden stop working, but quite common for the electrical components fail in that way.
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Darren getchen

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 24 Jan 2020 10:16 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Electrical, as Ron said, or possibly electronic: check to see that the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is functional. Some cars have a sensor that the computer uses to trigger the electric fans, determine open/closed loop fuel delivery status AND a Coolant Temp sender that gives the temp gauge on the instrument cluster it’s reading, and they’re not connected. Further, if the water pump is electric rather than fan driven, you have to look at the electronic side (power and control) as well as the mechanical operation of the motor/pump itself. Also, some cars have electronic thermostats too now. They can fail just like fans and pumps and sensors and motors. It’s not simple to diagnose anymore, and there are Lots of potential points of failure depending on your systems...including potentially a blown fuse.
I seriously doubt Snake Oil would’ve caused your overheat, unless the cooling system needed repair or maintenance prior to it getting added.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 24 Jan 2020 14:29 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Darren, the van's history of evident hard use and poor maintenance certainly shifts focus on these issues. All my SO experience tells me that you might have already SAVED this van from a premature death.

When it suddenly overheated in the drive-thru, did it leak coolant, or did the engine temp just suddenly spike? If it has a mechanical belt-driven water pump, they usually fail gradually. Typically you begin to notice a coolant leak, you can smell it and see wet spots on the engine and on the pavement where it's parked. Often the pump makes noises, this is all a warning it's on the way out.

Being a Transit van, it probably was in hard commercial service "rode hard put away wet." Too often commercial vehicle owners don't give proper care or maintenance. MY late brother and his second wife had a great little 1980 Dodge 1/2 ton step-side pickup w/ a Slant Six and 4 spd-overdive stick shift trans. I borrowed and used it several times, and often did needed maintenance on it. But with a small print shop and 2 sons to raise, the faithful Dodge sadly was driven into the ground. I once did a major brake job on it- ever seen a brake drum come off in pieces...?

Not too personify your Transit, but you and Snake Oil are the best thing to happen in this handy van's life! The war wounds it has suffered need to be addressed so it can give you long service. We use vehicles instead of horses and mules today- but like critters, they need good care to last.

I agree w/ Ron and Greg K on the cooling system. Today electrical components are replacing many formerly mechanically-driven parts. Complexity is ever-increasing. Service intervals on most everything have increased- and this can lead to complacency on owners' part.

Keep us informed on the Transit, we have things to learn together w/ this one! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 02 Feb 2020 11:00 #7

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
When the van overheated I checked coolant-none in reservoir, and oil- none touching the dipstick. I topped off both and on the one mile drive home, the water pump was leaking fast.
Carmax diagnosed the issues and they were resolved.

2k miles later no issues with overheating or oil loss. I'll look into the fan and verify it's functioning correctly.

There is no chilton book that I'm aware of for my vehicle, only an online book that's around $80. Inconvenient as it may be, I'm probably going to pony up the dough and buy it so i can learn more about my van.

A few days ago, I changed my oil to full synthetic and added a snake oil engine treatment.

The engine doesn't vibrate as hard at idle.. The vibrations would rattle my equipment in the back of the van to the point I'd lean back and readjust my ladders because it was driving me nuts.
No obnoxious rattle.

So basically this poor engine took two snake oil treatments to get right.

I'm very happy I decided to trust you guys. thank you for the help

Last edit: by Darren getchen. Reason: update

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 02 Feb 2020 11:28 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
They do burn out, electric motors, but check the fuses/relays first. That said, I was astounded to learn that for my vehicle, the fan doesn’t turn on until the coolant temp is near the pressurized boiling point of the coolant (230 Degrees F, or something like that), and the high speed 2nd fan doesn’t kick on until somewhere above that. That’s how confident GM is in fuel delivery and a thermostat are for being able to maintain proper operating temp. Do your research for your own vehicle - you may be surprised to find, like I did, that if the fans don’t actuate, that’s actually a good sign.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 11 Mar 2020 07:11 #9

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Update trans shifting real smooth, engine purring like a kitten. 22-23mpg combined which is +1or 2 compared to before snake oil. I call that success
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 11 Mar 2020 11:22 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
are you planning on Grooving this van?
if so, why not apply the PCV re-route in advance and see if that gains you any mileage?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 11 Mar 2020 13:20 #11

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Yes most definitely going to Groove it after I get back from my vacation. I'll look into pcv reroute, thanks for the suggestion

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 11 Mar 2020 22:48 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I did this before I grooved my car; it may have contributed to a similarly small increase in mileage as you saw from applying snake oil to yours.
Seeing as you started visiting us to realize successes along these lines, the 10 minutes it takes should give you the confidence to take the bits in hand and really get some mileage gains for yourself. Besides, saving a bit more fuel for every mile you drive it means more money in your pocket to enjoy on the vacation from where I sit, right?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: