• Page:

TOPIC: 13 transit connect snake oil confusion- resolved

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 18 Apr 2020 14:46 #13

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 9
I got suck in Peru on my vacation. I'm a little behind schedule

Am I understanding the pcv reroute correctly? My service manual won't arrive until next week.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 18 Apr 2020 21:15 #14

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Wow, I can't imagine what it would've been like to be sick or stuck in Peru at this time in history with what's happening. Glad you've made it back to us...and remember, you work on your vehicles at your own pace! We don't have a gun to your head or anything.

There are plenty of threads on this website that help explain the PCV re-route and where to cap. Please do some looking around while you're waiting for your manual to arrive.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darren getchen

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 09 Jun 2020 23:04 #15

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
update:
I received my grooved TB int the mail and did the Berrymans b12 treatment as recommended, changed the horribly dirty oil on day two, changed again on day 7.. stilll horribly dirty, decided to go another ground of Berrymans b12.

I read on Ron's FB post: capping the breather tube is an experimental procedure ... my breather tube is kicking a ton of Vapor( more like oil) to the point my Stock TB is Black from stock config and my intake manifold is super greasy. I went to install my grooved TB and I realized I have to remove my intake manifold, fuel rail, trans dipstick... This is a project to get to the PCV , which is all one part with the crankcase vent oil separator..

My questions are: should I clean my plastic intake manifold while I have it off the van, and what should I use to clean it?

Is there an underlying problem contributing to my oily Stock TB, if yes, will capping the breather from valve cover to air intake(before TB) fix this? I'm shocked at how much is wrong with this van and how horribly dirty the engine is. Is there another engine treatment a step up from berrymans b12 that will help this mess?

After cleaning the stock TB and reinstalling it because I couldnt get to the PCV before dark, I'm still scratching my head at how difficult this van has been.

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 10 Jun 2020 06:18 #16

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Darren, that sounded like a complaint! "Getting stuck in Peru on vacation" sounds like a dream come true for me!

But on to the more important issue: the looseness and filth of your engine.

Clean it until it's clean. Period. Then, (or when you get too frustrated) put the Snake Oil in the engine.

That will take care of any wear caused issues, and alleviate this issue tremendously.

As to the breather hose, in YOUR engine, not experimental. That's the most efficient way of stopping the flow through that system.

Period.

I hope this helps.
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 10 Jun 2020 13:39 #17

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Peru would have been fun if we weren't quarantined in an air bnb in Lima... Peru lockdown= you can get groceries or medical attention. Other than that stay at home. And they have soldiers helping you remember the rules. Traveling to the embassy to wait in the repatriation flight stand by line meant dodging military checkpoints , breaking the rules( each gender had days they could travel... Never saw the beach.. we literally went to a wedding then boom, lockdown. If you were in public, you were waiting in some kind of line . So vacation wasn't the right word.

Thanks for the reply, I'm relieved to know I can cap the breather and not take apart that laundry list of parts.

I have a tiny bit of snake oil left, it's going in the oil after I'm done cleaning... And hopefully that's soon. My engine runs so much smoother with it in the oil.

When I unhooked my battery the other day, I had the brilliant idea of running the AC while the computer relearns driving. I live in Florida, the AC is going to stay on for months. So far the response has been positive. Any one else do that?

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 11 Jun 2020 11:15 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
running AC while performing the re-learn - absolutely! load up the engine as much as possible. My neighbours must think I'm a member of the tinfoil hat club when I do mine - rear defroster, high beams, fog lights, 4 way flashers, wipers on high, radio, fan at full blast, making the power windows and locks move/dance... Why? here's my theory: if that's the baseline you're teaching the computer, when you're not running all those things at their highest - which is most of the time- the computer will be more inclined to think it's running rich and overdelivering fuel under "normal" (to you) driving conditions, and trim it back. Does that make sense to you? (just don't touch the brakes to make them light up - the change in vacuum will be misinterpreted by the signal at the MAP sensor if your engine has one of those installed) Heck, I'd even go so far as to replace any LED lights I've swapped out with the original bulbs so that the alternator sees the load it was designed at the factory to deliver, so that when I swap them back out at after the re-learn, the computer will see an electrical load lower than at re-learn normally and not add fuel for the alternator...but I'm not that OCD ;)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 19 Jun 2020 17:29 #19

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
glad my gut instinct was right about relearning under load. thanks for the info.
I started following the directions on the groove TB:
I put the b12 in, idled for three hours. Oil was incredibly dirty the following day, changed it. Added b12.

Day 7 changed it again. Added more b12. 

Day 9 Ran sea foam spray can thru intake. Smelled carbon, no smoke.

day 11 Installed Groove TB. during reconditioning run, jb weld cap of the breather hose failed( operator error- the first blob of jb didnt cover the whole opening, I added more and waited three hours  which wasnt enough I guess). The van ran like a champ, but I had to remove my blob of jb. so the groove has made my van run so much better in terms of acceleration and mpg steady at 22(which was the previous best I'd get babying the thing).

day 14, changed oil again.. no b12. Paper test still sucks into tailpipe.

Day 16 while driving on the highway, my van started bogging down followed by a burst of acceleration which I can only assume my valves are now functioning better. paper test on tailpipe is 100 times better.  I am getting 22 mpg no matter how hard I drive it which is a win in my book. I'm going to check if oil is still blasting my tb(old TB black before grooved TB), clean it, and cap the breather again properly this time, reset ecu, recondition drive.

another question, my power steering fluid isnt circulating in my reservoir and I have residue on my hood from PS system and the pump looks dirty... I still have PS... whats the deal here?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Last edit: by Darren getchen. Reason: Typos, tidied up some wordy sentences.

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 20 Jun 2020 10:23 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Leaky cap seal on the PS reservoir?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

13 transit connect snake oil confusion 21 Jun 2020 10:54 #21

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
The residue matched up with the pump at the front of the reservoir... So under Ron's guidance, I added a shot of snake oil to the reservoir and ran it to the store and back.

I didn't even realize how noisy the ps pump was when turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other. I thought the noise was normal...

After the snake oil.. it's super quiet.. like brand new. I'm impressed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

13 transit connect snake oil confusion- resolved 21 Jun 2020 13:11 #22

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
it's chasing down and reducing or eliminating parasitic loads drawing from your engine's power that are the most surprising. they're also the ones to add up to mileage gains the fastest.

The pressures in a power steering system can be surprisingly high; if you didn't remove a similar amount of the fluid that was in there before adding the snake oil, the system probably blew the excess off. That's my guess as to what the residue on the underside of your hood is.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

13 transit connect snake oil confusion- resolved 28 Jun 2020 23:38 #23

• Darren getchen
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
My ps fluid reservoir was over the max line. I removed fluid before I added the snake oil. The fluid level has been stable since I added snake oil , and nothing is spitting on the underside of the hood.

I capped the breather hose with JB weld tonight. I proceeded with relearn. When I got back in the driveway, I removed breather hose to inspect JB weld plug. I heard a hissing nose like it was drawing air back into the engine.

Is this normal? I have to drive over 130 Miles tomorrow for work and I'm concerned. If I need to drill out the JB weld to get back to stock, please tell me

I added a screenshot of the vacuum routing on my vehicle

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: by Darren getchen. Reason: added picture

13 transit connect snake oil confusion- resolved 29 Jun 2020 09:44 #24

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
That screenshot (?) is a bit small/fuzzy for me to be able to tell what's going on - hopefully your driving today goes well - but I believe I could make out that there's an air-oil seperator on the PCV line that drains back into the crankcase...and that's amazeballs in awesomesauce Ford is shipping them that way.
Can you take some pics of what's happening under the hood (PCV valve, hose to manifold, breather line, intake tube, MAF location, air cleaner...) so we can better advise you?
Glad you're sorted on the Power steering side of things...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: