Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2004 Ford Escape anyone?

2004 Ford Escape anyone? 10 Dec 2011 03:51 #1

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
I have a friend asking me to groove his 2004 Ford Escape. The throttle body appears to be cable controlled, so no problem there. I have yet to see the engine, but was told it is similar to Ford Ranger set up. Any heads up on this one anyone? Thanks in advance!

Scott Castleberg
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2004 Ford Escape anyone? 10 Dec 2011 06:32 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Scott I havent grooved one yet but I do know they have a plastic throttle body and butterfly. I believe Ron did one similar when I was in Arizona.Seemed like it cut easy for him but I think he jb quicked it first as it was thin. Dan gadgetman MO.

Re: 2004 Ford Escape anyone? 10 Dec 2011 23:20 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If the throttle body is plastic, you want to make quick small cuts without dwelling on any one spot.

Plastic has a tendancy to heat up quickly and ball up in the cutting tool.

If it's a carbon fiber composition then it may cut more like bakelite... lots of dust.

Re: 2004 Ford Escape anyone? 11 Dec 2011 20:24 #4

• Scott Castleberg
Update -

Saw the throttle body in question - definitely metal. The throttle body mounts up to a plastic intake. Cable controlled. IAC motor is on top, right after TB. Talked with the owner about the process and he will let me know.

Scott
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: 2004 Ford Escape anyone? 11 Dec 2011 20:35 #5

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It is as Dan says, to my recollection. I believe it is a composite throttle assembly.

On the top of the throttle passage will be a cavity that allows the IAC air to enter into a passage on the Intake Manifold. It is in this passage you will find you need to pay some particular attention.

From the back side of this passage, make sure it is cleaned very well, then take a drill bit and scuff the surface well. Your bit WILL cut through here, and likely to cut through in two other locations that are well-hidden by some of the casting, so INSPECT IT WELL!

Apply a generous amount of JB-Kwik in the passage on the exit side of the throttle against the ledge. (you'll see it when you pull it off). Then, go ahead and cut The Groove. Once The Groove has been machined into the throttle body in the right location, take the throttle into a dark area with a flashlight and make SURE there are no "Light Leaks". Find one, then fix it.

If you ever finish a job on a drive-by-cable assembly and the thing surges, the ONLY cause I know of is (guess what!) A VACUUM LEAK. Only in most cases, it's because of one created by the machininR be checking your work!

A little patience is a wonderful thing. So is asking about something BEFORE you do it!

ESPECIALLY in the case of the composite Ford throttle bodies.

Take lots of pictures, do a video of this throttle body as an "ALERT" and I will upload it to the YouTube GroovyServiBulletins channel.

The same for all of you out there in Gadgetman Land! Let's help one another avoid these little snares by sharing information!

Oh, and the Escape is going to LOVE that Groove!

Ron

Re: 2004 Ford Escape anyone? 11 Dec 2011 21:04 #6

• Scott Castleberg
Should have taken pictures earlier in the sunshine! I will probably see the vehicle again tonight, so I will recheck and take pictures and a very short pre-groove video - short enough to send it with my cell phone.

I do remember the intake being black(plastic) and the throttle body being aluminum looking.

I will call the owner today and arrange to meet at church earlier to do a little investigative work and report back. Might also help to gauge thickness of TB.

Thanks again.

Scott
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

• Page: