Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1997 ford explorer grooved

1997 ford explorer grooved 17 Jan 2012 17:43 #1

• Michael
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Pleases me to bring you my first groove.
I took all the nessary readings before groove.
There has been a vac leak for some time on my wifes truck.
I ended up removing plentum to get to the pcv and find leaks
looks like both the pcv and tee too the pcv where leaking.
I took a large 15/16" bolt and theaded into the plastic receiver
of the pcv valve completly seeled now.I took tee off and looped vac hose.
I think that fixes my vac leak. Had to use smallest groove bit so not to
mess up the IAC. Thinking about later making the grooove larger on each side
of IAC hole.? I did have pictures of all of this but format was done. So lost
all of the good pictures.Of 97 ford and that 85 mitsubishi.If anyone wants
to teach me how to use my scan tool I'll post all the trims and hrtz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Michael. Reason: utube upload

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 17 Jan 2012 23:53 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Michael Im going to give you some pointers so don`t take it the wrong way. You need to fill the iac hole and make the big groove and re route the air passage for iac. Next when your grooving keep plenty of oil on bit I like air tool oil works good for me. When you groove do small incriments at a time ans dont run back and forth with bit as it will make the groove uneven. You haveny hurt anything as you need to make it bigger anyway. What I do after I groove is take the bit by itself and it should hold itself in the groove by itself. Then roll the bit by hand and it should keep the same depth and angle all the way around. Now for the pcv you do have the engine still breathing right? Just plug the vac source. The engine still must breathe.

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 18 Jan 2012 00:47 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Michael,

For starters, you've taken the first step in the right direction and that's jumping in with both feet to the Gadgetman Groove. Kudo's

As Dan has already pointed out and I'll repeat it just for 'finish' the pcv breather hose you want to reroute to the intake plenum so the crankcase gases get processed. The connection to the manifold you want to cap off.

Manifold vacuum is important for this process to work.

The Idle air hole, if all else fails, I would plug the hole and drill a 1/8" hole from the lowest point or if possible the farthest point to one side that would still keep it functional. If there are other options available go with those first. (Pull the IAC off to check the pathway)

Also, when your cutting the groove, make every attempt to keep the bit perpendicular to the throttle plate, the angle is important. One of the main reasons you want to complete the path of the groove is that the center point is where everything happens.

The air follows down the throttle plate to the groove and the vortex builds but air from the ends of the groove actually drive towards the center of the groove to build the effect.

Your in the right direction, its all a matter of fine tuning, as Ron has mentioned more than once ... "do the Mods" that is how we get better at them. Posting them on here is how we find out what works and what doesn't so we all get better at it.

Welcome aboard

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
GadgetmanTacoma

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 19 Jan 2012 16:05 #4

• Michael
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You tell me do the mods. so I do.
Then I learn that I've missed all of these things.
Time for a recap.:)

Last edit: by Michael.

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 19 Jan 2012 16:13 #5

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Michael,

This is a learning "process". That means there is much to learn. Even myself, after almost a thousand mods am still learning.

Nothing makes you "sound like a moron". Based on our discussions, you are tending to over-think things. People who do tend to over-complicate matters.

All the information is here, and those who come before you all stand ready to help in any way they can.

Now, think of this... How many different cars, trucks, SUV's, generators, lawn mowers, snow blowers, pumps, weed eaters, etcetera are there in the world? How could you reasonably expect any ONE person to be able to disseminate all that data?

Moreso, how would you be able to digest it?

Hence the instructions to visit the forums and to ask about the mods BEFORE you get started. Talk to people. Get to know them. They are your greatest asset.

Your knowledge base can only be enhanced through these discussions.

I appreciate kindness from all members of the Gadgetman Clan. Please realize that we are ALL here to help!

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 19 Jan 2012 16:16 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Do`nt get discouraged thats why wer`re here to help you through till you get the knack automatic. Your not a moron just be patient and ask for help. There are many of us out here doing the groove. The groove will work as you did it but we`re trying to give you pointers on the full enhancement. Every car is different and requires different approaches and even Ron hasn`t done them all and he`s still learning different models. Do the mods is how we`ll all get better that`s why we want you and everyone else to post them so we don`t have to reinvent the wheel. Keep grooving Dan gadgetman Mo.

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 19 Jan 2012 16:25 #7

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Michael,

I'm here for you too. give a call anytime and we can work through any of your questions.

Nick in New York 607.590.0391

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 19 Jan 2012 16:30 #8

• Michael
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I didn't mean to sound as if I was upset.
I've looked and looked I can't find it.

I have a 1997 eddie bauer ford explorer 5.0 4X4.
This is my wifes personal truck I would like to be able to do
a complete groove job. Please Help. If no one has done one of these.
I would be happy to give all info,pics and videos of job. I just need
to know how to do a complete job to this truck.thanks everone.

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 19 Jan 2012 18:29 #9

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Give me a call and we'll get started.

Re: 1997 ford explorer grooved 20 Jan 2012 00:44 #10

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Mike!

This is one Big Family and we are here to help! Trust me, if you don't ask questions and go "oh yea" when you or I make a mistake and learn from it, your not human. I've been a mechanic for almost 20 years and I learn Every Day. Then I can use that wisdom the next day or week - that's the great part! I love the learning part and the doing part. Keep up the good work and looking forward to more posts!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

• Page: