Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1997 BMW 740il- Codes before and after

1997 BMW 740il- Codes before and after 24 Feb 2012 11:16 #1

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK. Got the Groove! Yea!
Then my car started acting all sort of goofy. So much for doing a whole bunch of things at once.
To explain better... and possibly quicker: My car had problems already. Check engine light always said the engine was running lean on both sides. While doing the Groove thing(that just sounds cool to me),I replaced the injectors, plugs, oil and filter.
The lean codes went away but engine mis-fire codes came up. Ended up having to add some JB-quick to seal a couple holes that weren't caught with the 'light test' (now know to check in a dark area). Then O2 sensor codes happened. replaced them. Cleared the codes, drove around, then only Cyl-2 showed misfire and O2 codes came back.
In short (believe me, this is short with alot of differnt diagnostics left out), is there anybody that got any O2 codes after the groove? Just curious, because I still have other electrical issues going on and want to see if any Groovemen saw anything like this.
Thanks for reading this,
Heathen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by .

Re: Issues on a '97 BMW 740il 24 Feb 2012 11:44 #2

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, The O2 sensors will sence a difference after installing groove, I beleave this normaly sorts it self out. Afetr a 30 min drive or so.
You might want to reset your computer. their is a document explaining the prosedure. under 3 gadgetmanland documents. hope this helps. Im shure when the other gadgetmen wake up they will give more info. :) I like you car and am curious what other simtoms it has.
Mob sweden

Last edit: by mob.

Re: Issues on a '97 BMW 740il 24 Feb 2012 17:08 #3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Heathen, it appears your engine probably had a sever vacuum leak prior to The Groove. As this mod amplifies the pressure wave, it magnifies the effects of any opening into the intake manifold. (that's why the PCV cap)

You will want to do a THOROUGH JOB in a vacuum leak test! Please read the documents [url=http://http://gadgetmangroove.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&download=1:vacuum-and-the-gadgetman-groove&id=1:gadgetman-groove-documents&Itemid=850]Vacuum and The Gadgetman Groove[/url] and " Welcome to Gadgetman Land! The Gadgetman Groove: The World's Best in Fuel Economy " and then follow the recommendations.

There may also be an issue with the intake air stream BEFORE the Air Flow Sensor. Any air allowed in before the MAF may cause a "Cylinder misfire" code, with the cylinder numbers (generally) varying from time to time. Make sure the MAF is thoroughly cleaned (use carb spray, followed by a residue free spray cleaner like electrical parts or a good brake parts cleaner) then run it again.

I bet you find a FEW spots that will surprise you!

Last edit: by .

Re: Issues on a '97 BMW 740il 13 Mar 2012 13:39 #4

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just to let you know what was up with this. No more misfires.
I traced the misfires to the grounding wire of the injector in the wiring harness. Just took switching injectors and then taking apart the clump of wires on that side of the engine and following them. 45 minutes including wrestling with the injectors.
And Ron was right about the vacuum leaks.. they were around the TB gasket, BMW has a wedge type that stays compressed after it's taken apart. $13 fix.

Now still trying to figure out the vacuum stuff. BMW supposedly has a different idea of internal air pressure, still researching. Runs smooth by disconnecting one of the brake vacuum lines OR pulling the dipstick out an inch. Weird. And will also be chasing the O2 sensor wires for shorts (O2 sensors had problems before the Groove, so the Groove has nothing to do with that problem)
Ron.. I may be calling for advice if I run out of sites to search.
Thanks again

• Page: