Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.6L 16v UK Model

1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.6L 16v UK Model 17 Apr 2012 22:36 #1

• phil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, Phil here.

Got some results to post.Its my first groove on an astra, got 160 000 miles on the clock. Took it to my brother in laws garage to do the tests on his gas tester, which decided not to work on the day. But the car always failed its yearly test, comming up way above the legal amount.
Its called an MOT test here in the UK and has to be done each year on cars over 3 years old. This astra failed on emissions miserably each year.
So not knowing how long the machine was going to be out of action for we proceeded to groove on anyway, so sorry no before readings but to call them crappy would be about accurate.

The limits for the MOT are:
Fast idle test - engine speed 2500-3000 rpm ASTRAS SCORE!
CO =< 0.30% 0.08%
HC =< 200 ppm 24 ppm
lambda 0.97 - 1.03 0.999

Natrual idle test
Engine speed 450 - 1500 rpm
CO =< 0.50% 0.08%

I cant believe the old banger absolutly SMASHED its MOT test!! Once the machine was fixed a few days later.
Its much more responsive now and you can now drive the thing at any speed with the accellerator pedal only bout quarter of the way down. And it runs about 10 degrees cooler than before. No milage figures just yet, but i know it gets around 300 - 350 miles from a tank.
Look forward to posting more good results.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron.

1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.6L 16v UK Model 18 Apr 2012 00:58 #2

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Those are some really GROOVY results, Phil!

And some people think all the brains moved to the colonies...

Not too bad for a Brit!;)

Expect the same type of results on every application. Just remember to stick to the basics. 22.5-30 Degrees on the bit angle and DO THE MODS.

Your success will be guaranteed.

I promise.

1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.6L 16v UK Model 18 Apr 2012 01:42 #3

• phil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks, I think i found the 22-30 degree thing by accident. That astras throttle body had a bump at the end and the bit had to sit at more of an angle thru the bottom quarter.

1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.6L 16v UK Model 18 Apr 2012 11:06 #4

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Phil,

Thank you for sharing the exciting results. You have a beautiful car.

Isn't this cool:)

To echo Ron, stick to the basics and you won't be disappointed. Hey everyone, the bit angle is real.

Do the Mods.

1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.6L 16v UK Model 20 Apr 2012 12:41 #5

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
"By accident" we find the greatest discoveries!

+1 for your Karma for recognizing that. It is only through research AND experimentation we can make true discoveries. Discoveries that may or may NOT change the planet, but they will all change our own selves.

Keep experimenting, Phil! You are working your way into earning the title "GadgetmanUK"!

• Page: