Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc

1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 28 May 2012 21:49 #1

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This is the same vehicle I just reported. I'm doing it again because I'd forgot to mention the engine size as Ron has requested. Also, it was a 4 cylinder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 28 May 2012 22:28 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ive got some connections from costa rica when you feel confident Ill set you up with some jobs. Dan gadgetman mo.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 29 May 2012 03:58 #3

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks so much for the generous offer Dan. I look forward to taking you up on it. The challenge at the moment seems it will be getting comfortable cutting a 22.5-30° groove pretty much freehand, since I wasn't able to use the throttle plate to guide me much.

Apart from that, though I often find it difficult to locate vacuum leaks, I should pretty much be ready to go, as this was actually my 16th groove and my batting average is about 75%.

Any tips about mastering the new angle are extremely welcome.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 29 May 2012 17:17 #4

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jonathan,

It sounds like you are doing very well. As far as cutting the new angle...I touch the upper edge of the bit on the plate while holding it at the angle and cut down in maintaining the angle until it hits the bit shaft, then move to left to remove the 1/2 to 1 bit width remaining to cut. If you tilt the throttle body until the shaft is parallel to your work bench, it will not only be easier to cut due to the straight downward force but you can maintain the angle by keeping the shaft level. I hope this helps. Sometimes it is difficult translating physical movements to words.

Look forward to hearing from you more.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 30 May 2012 03:38 #5

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Nick,

Thanks alot. Your description made it very easy to imagine what your talking about, and I appreciate the advice about tilting the TB so the bit goes straight down. I'm looking forward to trying that. The only part of the verbal to visual that throws me off is when you say you cut down until it hits the bit shaft, then move to the left (I'm with you to this point)to remove "the 1/2 to 1 bit width remaining to cut". I'm not sure what you mean by the part in quotes.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 30 May 2012 03:48 #6

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sorry I don't have a TB in front of me, or I could probably answer this question myself, but when you hold the upper edge of the bit against the plate, is that only for the start of the cut, and as it goes deeper it moves away from the plate, or do you keep bracing the upper edge of the bit against the plate as you cut down?

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 30 May 2012 15:57 #7

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jonathan,
You touch the edge of the bit only when starting the cut. The bit will move away from the plate as it cuts at the angle. It is important to make the cut as representative of the bit shape as possible as any widening of the Groove will diminish its effect. As far as the phrase concerning making your cuts to the left of your primary cut, I was describing the normal process of making the cleaning cut to the left as we did at the old angle. I start my cuts a bit width to the right of my old cut and remove that material to the left once I reach full cut depth. Hope this helps.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 30 May 2012 18:42 #8

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks a lot Nick,
This is very helpful. Since I'm now asking technique questions let me know if this needs to be moved to another section of the forum. I don't remember learning about making a cleaning cut. When I got trained (pretty early on, in fact I was the first officially certified gadgetman!)I just remember starting near the axle of the throttle plate and cutting a short section, maybe an inch or so, in a clockwise direction, then cut it deeper and repeat until it was full depth. Then repeat that whole sequence, sort of scalloping out little sections until done.

You guys have obviously made refinements since then. Can you tell me more about what the cleaning cut is and what the current approach is to making the cut?

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 30 May 2012 18:57 #9

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I get the impression you're starting from the left side of the throttle plate axle as you're facing it (not the right side as I was doing), and probably begin your cut an inch or so short of the axle, cutting clockwise toward the axle, stopping a bit width or so short of where you want to finish up, then you move to the right another inch or so, cut that section in a clockwise direction until you reach the first section, and so on. And then you cut that last little bit width section out on the left (the cleaning cut).Is that right?

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 30 May 2012 22:08 #10

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The current technique I use is to start a bit width away from the axle on the left, then cut down in until the shaft stops the cut, then cut to the left cutting out the starting width...sort of like a backwards "L". I don't recommend doing a follow up cleaning cut along the Groove as "the enemy of good is better". Cleaning cuts have a tendency to open the Groove too wide creating a decrease in results.

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 31 May 2012 01:45 #11

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I understand what you're saying about not removing more material, (the enemy of good is better). So you don't cut down in layers or slices, you just go all the way down and then cut across, removing the full depths worth of material in one move?

Also, if we call the left side of the axle, 8 o' clock, and the right side 4, is it as I imagined, that your cutting something like 7-8, then 6-7, etc.?

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo - 2,200 cc 31 May 2012 12:32 #12

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You imagine correctly.

• Page: