Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED

1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 01 Jun 2012 14:38 #1

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have a very prominent customer who has not received gains on his Subie and I need some help.

As he is located in Idaho, and we have no one near to serve him, if any of you guys are familiar with this engine, I could use some help at where to direct him to look.

Got anything for me?

Ron

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 01 Jun 2012 17:40 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Check your e-mail Ron... :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 03 Jun 2012 04:23 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Check your Email, Ron! TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 07 Jun 2012 09:09 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
hi Ron, the other day when I did some searching online for Subaru info, I saw in several places repeated mention of the tendency of the Subaru 2.5 non turbo injected engines from I think it was 96-up to blow head gaskets. Very well known trend w/ those. The factory had Dealerships add stop-leak to the coolant as a Service Campaign...:unsure: . Anyhow I hope our freind in Idaho isn't experiencing that. Some leaked external, some internal(worse way to go). I saw it mentioned that by 100K miles up to 90% of the 2.5 non-turbo ones would have a head gasket fail.:ohmy: Hope it's not true in this case, thought you ought to know of this...TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 07 Jun 2012 12:43 #5

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I drive this generation of Subarus and have a 1996 and 1997. Head problems are catastrophic when it happens with pressurized coolant systems and stopped engines.

In my experience, they get about 8 to 9% gains. Make sure you understand where the PCV connection is and plug it. Also check the many vacuum lines for leaks. Other than that, I haven't found anything special other than the unique and cool horizontally opposed piston design. I will post any new finds. In the next couple of months I plan to rebuild a 2.5 and 3.0 Subaru engine which will give me an opportunity to study the intake dynamics etc.

Re: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 24 Jun 2012 06:40 #6

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So, a nice 4 hour/300 mile trip out to Spokane, Washington to meet Aaron and his
Subaru.

This is Aaron

Checked all the pertinent hoses etc for leaks, nothing relavent to be found. Pulled the TB off, it gave me an opportunity to check the groove and to see what else was hiding underneath.

The first red flag that went up was when I was checking the ecu readings... the TP was at 0.0

Question 1.... If the TP is at zero on a cabled TB how is it idling... further checks... found the IAC hiding off to the left of the TB.

It has that 3/4" hose connected to it and the opening inside the manifold is just as large. Solution, had a pre-made plug with a 1/8" hole drilled through it... stuffed that into the hose.

Then put everything back together.

Cold ecu readings...
Load_PCT 5.1
SHRTFT1 -8.6/-12.5
LONGFT1 2.3
MAP 7.4
RPM 950

Engine at 190F

Load_PCT 2.7
SHRTFT1 -.8/-2.3
LONGFT1 -7.8
MAP 7.4
RPM 700

Engine after plugging the IAC inlet @190F
Load_PCT 2.7
SHRTFT1 -8.6/-12.3
LONGFT1 0.0
RPM 675

@2000rpm
Load_PCT 5.9
SHRTFT1 4.7/5.5
LONGFT1 1.6
MAP 6.2

The engine has 155,747 miles on it, sounded a little clunky when he moved it cold.

Took it out for a spin after the IAC fix and even at that mileage its got some spunk.

Aaron will reset the ecu tonight and start monitoring his mileage tomorrow.

I expect the trims to change a bit but with the drastic change that occured just by minimizing the IAC airway it should be good.

Grooving right along...

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L HELP NEEDED 24 Jun 2012 15:41 #7

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Once again, you have proven yourself to be dedicated to The Family, Karl!

For those that don't know, this is one mod I did myself, but did it remotely. I mailed the TB to Aaron, but he found no mileage gains in the wake of the mod.

Aaron is also the organizer of the 2012 Bedini-Lindemann Energy Conference ( Untitled Document ) at which I will be speaking. So, this is yet another "Mission Critical" modification that could ONLY have been done through teamwork.

We all pull together in Gadgetman Land and we are building something GREAT!!!

Good job, Karl!

Ron

Last edit: by Ron.
  • Page: