Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L Carbureted USA

1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L Carbureted USA 21 Jun 2012 06:45 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
"Make Mine a Double..." I thought--so I did! I just grooved my 85 Subaru GL wagon w/the E82 1.8L OHC feedback carb engine. Actually re-Grooved it I cut the groove in both Primary and Secondary throttle bores; on an extra carb I had for the car. Ron usually recommends only Grooving the Primary side of any carb w/Secondary(s). I felt adventurous and after careful study I double Grooved it. it WORKED!!! Just put it on the car last night, driven maybe 20 miles in town/freeway.No MPG data yet; but Power and Driveability show a Big increase! I placed the Primary Groove down the bore a distance from the closed throttle blade, small bit, new bit angle. Secondary is small bit right against throttle blade w/ new bit angle. Both Grooves limited to about 2/3 of sweep due to Throttle body design w/ cutout for base attaching screw. This car has always been underpowered--but it's Much Better now. Power for traffic situations is much better, and there is a definite secondary power boost deeper in the throttle. In fact it's like it has a secondary for the first time. I'm thrilled:cheer:!! This Grooving stuff is FUN! I just keep on learning more Stuff;) Thank you Ron for bringing this to the World! So here's some pics of the double grooved iron TB showing both Primary/Secondary side plus the car it lives in. Thanks, TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L Carbureted USA 21 Jun 2012 14:07 #2

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Way to go, Tracy!

The main reason I recommend doing only the primary side is because on most carbs have opposing throttle plates. When you cut The Groove into them, the area is too narrow and would overlap, destroying both grooves/

ANY Groove is better than none, MORE is always best!

Ron

1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L Carbureted USA 21 Jun 2012 19:53 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yes, you're right, Ron, that's what I thought you had said. When I grooved the first iron carb. base for this Subaru I cut through the thin brass throttle blade. I got another carb from Pick n Pull and used the same thin brass primary throttle blade from it in the Grooved one. Luckily the butterfly screws were un-staked and removeable. I then cut 2 replica butterfly plates from aluminum sheet material and used 'em as sacrificial guide plates--sandwiched together on the throttle shaft. They werent perfect, didnt need to be. This had the effect of placing the Groove deeper in the throttle bore about 1/8". This meant the Primary and Secondary Grooves could be offset from each other; Primary deeper in its bore than Secondary. Also enabled "timing" the Grooves; Primary w/ slight delay off idle, Secondary closer to its butterfly blade.
As noted elsewhere on this site, using revised bit angle will place cutting bit edge away from edge of throttle butterfly plate; w/more bit angle you get more distance. Revised bit angle should also cause less throttle blade scarring. So on THIS iron carb base-- between removeable throttle blade screws, the aluminum temporary throttle blades/bit guide, and the revised bit angle, I got away with a double Groove!! And the Subie LOVES its new Grooves.....yeah....! Pics:
Thanks, TracyG GadgetmanReno

Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ron.

1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L Carbureted USA 27 Jun 2012 02:10 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
The Subie is Groovy! :P :P Two days ago I took a drive to Fallon Nevada. It's 60 miles away half freeway and half 4 lane divided hiway. Halfway to Fallon from Reno is Fernley and a Shell station. Fernley to Fallon is 4 lane hiway pretty flat and long straightaways, my usual MPG test route. Filled up the Subaru tip top full got on the road and kept it at 60 mph the whole way.There was a strong wind blowing, at times a headwind. Stopped at my buddy's place a couple hours, got back on the road and back to same gas pump in Fernley same speed. Result: just under 40 MPG, ....39.56 to be exact. The Subie had been getting around 32-33 MPG on this run, without being so precise on speed. This is a short sample of course, but I will claim a 25% increase in hiway MPG based on this trip. To say nothing of a dramatic torque and power increase. The car holds a steady speed far better than ever, PLUS I gained a gear. No downshifting on the hills anymore!!! YAHOO!! TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L Carbureted USA 27 Jun 2012 02:39 #5

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Way to go, Tracy!

Remember to enter this info in the section on Performance and Mileage gains!

(and to hit the "Enter" button a few times when you're posting!)

;-)

Ron

• Page: