Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase

1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 20 Jul 2012 16:22 #1

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This vehicle calved on me this winter: top gear went. I have first and second gear w/lock-up left. The engine only has about 30,000km on it, the rest is near 420,000 km. I was going to take out the engine and scrap the rest, but as it was just sitting here, decided to do a gadgetman groove on it as well.

Again, because of lack of traffic on these gravel backroads, to do a quick check on the mileage before and after in second gear, I did not want to use a full tank), I used a separate small gas tank (about 1 gal) with an in-tank high pressure fuel pump from a 98 Ford Windstar, fastened to a crude frame over the engine (hood off); I disconnected the stock fuel lines from the fuel rail and joined them (open loop system) and left the original pump run. I just plumbed in the lines from my Ford pump to the fuel rail, with the return going straight back into the small gas tank. I plumbed in the electrical to a switch, and it was done. I added a couple cups of gas to the tank, and with the return line in a gas can, ran the fuel pump till it was sucking air (the car was on the road where I was going to do my 'before' mileage test and here it is level, level, level (aka flat ). At this point I added a measured 1 litre of gas, reset the trip meter, started up the engine, and accelerated evenly, not too fast (very scientifically) up to 40 mpg (second gear) and maintained the speed until I lost power. At the moment I lost power, I checked the trip meter (accurate only to the tenth of a Km). I did the test twice before and twice after the groove.
I kept the speed at 40 mph because at about 45 mph in second, it switches to open loop mode as the rpm's are getting fairly high.

On this application, I tried the new angle, using the Panavice, and did a much better cut than my previous attempts. From the pictures you can see that the there were no modifications necessary for this engine on the IAC opening as it does not interfere with the groove at all, and enters under the throttle axle. I capped the PCV port at the intake manifold, and did no further vacuum checks.

Before the mod: @40mph on coarse gravel, with a 3mph diagonal tail wind: LTFT: -1; mileage: 8.1 km/litre (repeated twice with same result); 0-60: 16.4 to 16.0 secs

After the mod: @ 40mph on same stretch, with a 6 mph head wind: LTFT: -4; mileage: 9.7 km/l the first try (fuel trims were all over the place: got home and checked- Throttle body bolts were loose: Forgot to tighten them (a number of days lapsed between the groove and the test with other time sensitive things in progress: lesson: be methodical, and steady, and give yourself enough time) and so it had a vacuum leak. Tightened them and did my second test: 10.1 km/l, again with the 6mph head wind on gravel. 0-60: 15.5-15.4 secs.

This translates into an increase of power and milage: although a much better result would have been had with a full tank, an increase like this on 1 litre is very significant at a 24.7 % increase ( 22.8 Can mpg in 2nd gear to 28.5) with a head wind, albeit not a strong one.

You can see here that no re-routing of IAC is necessary.

Here is the groove with the new angle. notice that there is a factory groove, shallow, in the middle going parallel to the throttle bore. I would recommend filling this first with epoxy and then do the groove, as it is in the area of the groove where the most response should be, and it would certainly alter the effects if it were to stay, as it did in this case.

I plan on doing one more test with this, with all the vacuum lines checked and/or ports capped, and with the factory groove filled.

So guys, it does work!

Luke

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 20 Jul 2012 17:24 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Wow Luke, so YOU were the guy who was constantly getting McGyver out of a jam...:P Yes the groove Does work, huh! I have to give Kudos to you for not only improvisational skills but striving for Emperical measurements as well. You took a situation w/unusual variables and kept your eye on the ball. Ya even got wind speed data...I bet someone at Area 51 is reading this and thinking of recruiting you...:woohoo:

Nice looking Groove, Luke! I think I'd fill that funny groove in the TB bore too. You measured a very significant MPG gain there, on Gravel roads...wow... BTW could you feel a power gain as well?

Congrats, Luke, nice work!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 20 Jul 2012 17:39 #3

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

Yep, there was a power gain that could be felt as well, and showed up as in improvement of nearly 1 second from 0 to 60 mph.

This McGiver system I've had for 5 years and tested on 3 vehicles in my experiments with better mileage: plug and play!

Luke

1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 16 Feb 2013 19:40 #4

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Update: never had a proper check with the factory groove filled(see picture). It is now towed for salvage.

Luke

1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 21 Feb 2013 23:49 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hey Luke, long time!

Well even though it's gone you did get proof of results.

Food for thought--even though the IAC entry slot was away from the Groove, did you consider partly filling in that slot, just to reduce the vacuum loss, and increase the airflow % across the Groove?

Just wondering...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 23 Feb 2013 08:53 #6

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

No I didn't, but looking at the surface area of the slots, I certainly could have, I think, without changing its' extreme cold weather start and warmup performance.

It is critical, though, at least in this area on -25 and colder startups, that any bypasses on larger engines (even as small as 2.5 L i.e. Jeep engines) that the bypass, if re-machined, has the same flow as the original, or the revs at those temps get knocked down quite a bit. (eg. 1200 rpm start-up, Jeep 4 L, TB unaltered, to 700 rpm altered, warmer than -25 C, to needing throttle assistance at below -25 to -30 c for a minute or so.) These are, by the way, running full synthetic winter oil, high viscosity at low temps, without being plugged in. If the vehicles are plugged in, then no problem.

Luke

1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 23 Feb 2013 18:25 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
More good info about cold temps/IAC re-route relationship.

Just my first idea; Have you considered using a friction reducing treatment like Xado to reduce cold start friction?

Xado claims MPG increase at idle due to reduction of friction loads. I'm in process of treating my ancient Dodge 383 w/Xado, and it seems to like it. That 383 is pretty cold-blooded doesnt like starting even in Reno NV winters. Seems a bit happier in cold now; I'm halfway thru 300 mile 3-part treat. w/ Xado.

Not trying to advertise for them-- but maybe something to consider? B)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Mazda Protege, 1.5L; Canada: 24.7% increase 24 Feb 2013 11:39 #8

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Tracy, good idea. I think any good oil additive that enhances longevity is worth it.

What I like using is a Bi-Tron Technologies oil additive,(for engine plus hydraulic/transmission/diff. apps) which had, when it first came out, the lowest friction co-efficient of any additive. I don't know where it ranks at present. Anyone into racing, or performance should check their website and see how long the treated racing engines last, and what they look like when torn down!! (eg: they say that drag car engines usually are torn apart after ave. 70 runs, with most parts replaced, but the treated engines, after 350 runs, show virtually no wear, are clean and highly polished, with the cross-honing marks on the cylinders in most cases still showing, pictures included)

I have not yet added it, but my other vehicles have it. Bi-tron, as well, has a fuel additive which oxygenates the fuel to optimize burn, plus lubricates and cleans the top side of the engine.

It would be good to see side to side comparisons of some of the top comparable products, such as the one you suggested, as anything that allows longevity whether it is engine/drivetrain life or gas tank range is good to know about and passed on!

Thanks again, Tracy.

Luke

• Page: