Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1990 Honda Accord 4 clyinder 2.2L

1990 Honda Accord 4 clyinder 2.2L 31 Jul 2012 02:55 #1

• davidvlis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This entire process, including cutting the grove, took about 2 hours.

I included a .pdf file that show the pictures.

My question is: I blocked off the line from the valve cover, is that the right one.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 1990 Honda Accord 4 clyinder 2.2L 31 Jul 2012 03:28 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi again David!

You are off to a good start in Gadgetmanland, freind!

The PCV Hose question is super easy on this one, Amigo! OK in the pic, the top(as in top in the photo) hose is the PCV. PCV Valve is in valve Cover, the hose goes from there to port on intake manifold. The lower hose in the pic. is the Breather hose, coming off air duct from air filt. to fitting on valve cover. Take the hose from the PCV valve off the manifold port, cap off the manifold port. Tee the PCV hose into the Breather hose, looks as if you could pivot the PCV valve/hose towards the breather hose, and tee it in at closest point, might not need any extra hose, or very little!

Same general questions about car's condition as I posted on your Mercedes.. Nice cars, BTW!!

Also remember to do the computer re-Learn Procedure, it is posted around in posts and in documents section. Every Groove job I've done properly shows an increase in throttle response, power, etc. even before MPG or emissions are checked.

IT's all a learning process,Congratulations on jumping in! Keep us posted, Dave!!:cheer:

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 1990 Honda Accord 4 clyinder 2.2L 29 Aug 2012 17:01 #3

• davidvlis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Update: gas mileage runs and re-smog test after groove.

I am uplading a .PDF file with the emission data

Car runs the same.
Gas mileage was: 20- 22 mpg. It is now 27 mpg
Second mileage test: 24 mpg

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: 1990 Honda Accord 4 clyinder 2.2L 30 Aug 2012 04:39 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey David, your Honda is showing decent drops in emissions #'s and decent increase in MPG. Yes the hose you highlight in the pic IS the PCV hose. That is the one that needs blocked. I would put a cap on the vacuum port on intake for this hose, then TEE it into the other hose off valve cover (the breather hose).

Everybody remember how PCV System works: A hose is connected to Manifold vacuum. this hose leads to PCV valve. Sometimes PCV valve is mounted direct to intake manifold w/hose going to valve cover(crankcase). PCV valve is a one-way valve to allow crankcase blowby vapor to be sucked into intake man., where such vapor mixes w/ air/fuel mix and is burned in cylinders.
Filtered fresh air is ducted into crankcase as make-up air so that air mixes w/ crankcase vapor. This fresh air usually comes in thru a hose connected to the filter housing or air duct between filter housing and throttle body.
IT's a circulation system, folks. Simple: filtered fresh air is drawn into crankcase, mixes w/ blowby gases, and is then drawn through Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve and into Intake Manifold into engine Cylinders.
Why is it DRAWN (sucked) in?? Because one end is exposed to manifold vacuum, other end is at ambient air pressure. There is a Pressure Drop here. that simple!!

Once you understand HOW this system works, it gets much easier to sort out what is what...
We want to maximise manifold vacuum, to enhance Groove Effect(fuel vaporisation).PCV for our purposes, acts as a GIANT vacuum leak. SO, we block off manifold vacuum source to PCV system, and reconnect the hoses such that the crankcase ventilates through passive side (before the Throttle Body). Crankcase still can breathe/ventilate blowby gases to intake system. We avoid pressurizing or putting a vacuum to crankcase so gaskets/seals dont get blown. We increase manifold vacuum by eliminating a big vacuum leak. In so doing we give the Groove a big boost by eliminating a big vacuum Loss!! IF you've done your homework and studied Ron's many you tube videos as well as the White Board video on this site's front page, then you will know why this is SO Important.....;)

Ok my fingers are out of Breath!:P

I just want people to understand the whole PCV re-route thing.

Sorry for using your thread to preach, David, hope I answered the question!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 1990 Honda Accord 4 clyinder 2.2L 30 Aug 2012 16:45 #5

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

davidvlis wrote: Update: gas mileage runs and re-smog test after groove.

I am uplading a .PDF file with the emission data

Car runs the same.
Gas mileage was: 20- 22 mpg. It is now 27 mpg
Second mileage test: 24 mpg

Hey David!

To make it easier for us to see the data, how about opening this PDF in Paint and saving as a JPG then posting that instead?

Then, it will display in your message for all to see.

Thanks!

• Page: