• Page:

TOPIC: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX

PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 08 Jan 2013 17:19 #1

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Hello all,

Just got the groove not too long ago and wanted to better understand a few things so I get the most out of it.

2000 Honda Civic Ex
D16Y8 engine
1.6L
Manual Transmission

I went ahead and checked for leaks using the MightyVac8000.
- Brake Booster is fine
- PCV, I'm confused. I tested the PCV hose end that used to be connected to the Intake manifold. It doesn't show any vaccuum what so ever. Is there something wrong, Or is that a normal result?
- Those were the only vaccuum lines I saw.

Anyways, the PCV port on the Intake Manifold is capped, the hose is simply disconnected and left dangling, uncapped.

As I read though all the info. in the article 'Diagnostics A to Zed' Post#4:
I was confused as to what to make of '2003 Honda Accord PCV issue'.
My '2000 Honda Civic EX' PCV valve is located in the same area as shown in that 'exploded assembly diagram'! Do I need to gain access to the valve area?
or is simply removing the hose & capping the port on the manifold (as stated above) good enough ? Please help understand.

I also sprayed Carb Cleaner all around the Manifold, Engine, hoses, gaskets and fuel injectors, while the car was idling: Everything seemed just fine! Although I smell
some emmissions coming in the car while driving. Perhaps the PCV valve is faulty? or I'm simply smelling PCV emmissions from the un-capped PCV hose? Maybe I should JB
Weld the PCV valve itself?

As I'm not very experienced at auto work, I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JV.

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 08 Jan 2013 18:07 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ok, the line with the pcv hose is not vaccum if the intake port where it was hooked is capped as you said. There will be slight pressure on that line as the engine builds up from heat and friction. That hose should be teed to the other side aka passive side of engine. this will allow any unburnt hydrocarbons from engine to be thrown back into intake air stream. This is epa approved. Do not let go to air as this can cause moisture build up internally. Happy grooving

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 08 Jan 2013 19:23 #3

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I'm not clear on what you mean exactly. Please view the attached image

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Last edit: by JV. Reason: bad image

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 08 Jan 2013 19:43 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
yes perfect

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 08 Jan 2013 19:49 #5

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Ah, Thanks! I'll get it done.

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 10 Jan 2013 14:42 #6

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Ok, First thing I want to mention is that I realized I should've started this thread in a different area of the forum. 'Service Bulletins --> PCV System issues' -or- 'Foreign Manufactured' section of the forums instead of here. Does anyone know how to move this entire thread there?

Now back to the issue at hand.
I re-routed the PCV dynamic hose to the PCV passive hose & Air intake as recommended by Dan.
(see above diagram) I used some fuel line and a 'T' connector bought at an auto store.

While performing the hose mod, I noticed that the main tube coming from the air intake(in which the PCV passive hose is attached) was full of a light gray, grease-like
substance which smelled of emmissions. I cleaned that out with a piece of para-cord with a knot tied in it at one end. This acted like a squeegy and pulled out the gunk pretty well as I pulled the cord through.

After I cleaned it up and finished the connections, I noticed that the vehicle seems even more responsive and even smoother yet! Also for the first time I noticed that the emissions from the tail pipe are pretty much completely gone, and I no longer smell any fumes inside the car while driving!

Last edit: by JV. Reason: typo

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 10 Jan 2013 17:02 #7

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The "Gunk" in the line is totally normal, it comes from the same part of the engine as the PCV line. At idle, air is normally going into that line to normalize the pressure of the engine while the PCV line is evacuating the excess gases and "Gunk" out via the intake manifold and burned thru the engines normal processes.

Having both of those lines on the passive side of the intake simply makes it more obvious the amount of "crap" is processed through the engine that no one ever talks about simply because they never see it.

As I said... normal. You can install a catch can device to separate from the vapors that go back into the engine or just accept the fact that they've been there the whole time. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 11 Jan 2013 01:49 #8

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
So if I understand you correctly, the following scenario must be true?:

The PCV 'gunk' which used to get burnt up in the combustion process via entrance into the Intake Manifold is now bypassing it and recycling thru the crankcase only, potentially building up and leading to future problems... unless I collect that gunk in a collection can and remove it occasionally ?
Is that what happens? Or is some of the gunk still finding it's way to the manifold to get burnt?

(see diagram)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by JV. Reason: added diagram

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 11 Jan 2013 02:16 #9

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
your still burning it in the engine. It just has alittle less pull in the old days it just blew out the blowby pipe epa says no no so it must be burnt in engine or cat

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 11 Jan 2013 05:30 #10

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you wanted to use a catch can location "A" would be appropriate.
with the two lines connected you basically have the gases in the crank case expanding out and exiting by way of the vent lines.

As Dan mentioned, the gases have always been there, they just get handled differently.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 11 Jan 2013 05:58 #11

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks you guys for the support, I guess that answers everything for now.

As of now, seems like the vehicle is performing better and better. After another tank or two of gas, I should get quite a bit of data compiled from 'liquid testing' MPG.
I'll post the results in the near future.

Re: PCV issues_2000 Honda Civic EX 11 Jan 2013 17:33 #12

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes in your diagrahm the air you show goe down to the valve cover and thats true when vacuum is hooked up to pcv but when you change to the tee the port becomes a slight vacuum as it will have a ventura effect drawing the vapors off top side of engine and the heat and internal pressure will keep the flow going with no problems.

The last honda I grooved got 6 mpg increase.

• Page: