Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dual Port Throttle Body--Specifically Toyota

Dual Port Throttle Body--Specifically Toyota 09 Jan 2013 01:04 #1

• drake
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Has anyone else besides Ron done one of these? I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 that has a dual port, and I'm planning to do it fairly soon, maybe this weekend. I actually ordered a used one from ebay, and I'm planning to do a little practicing on it first, or if necessary, I may use it if it comes out well.

Any suggestions on how to proceed, or any tips I might need? This will be my FIRST, single port or dual, and I hate that it's a dual, and it's a long way into the port to do the cutting. Looks like I'll need a lot of lubrication for the bit.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Dual Port Throttle Body--Specifically Toyota 09 Jan 2013 02:04 #2

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Drake,

I don't have any experience with that type of throttle body, but if you can post a photo or two that will give everyone a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Re: Dual Port Throttle Body--Specifically Toyota 09 Jan 2013 02:12 #3

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Jim!

Glad to see you here.

I want to ask you first to post in the topic headline the year, make, model and engine size so others looking for the same vehicle can find it. Second, as you're a Personal License holder that you allow me to change your user name to Jim Bellomy so that all will know who you are!

You're a good man. All of us are learning (me, MOST of all!) and it helps if we know who we're talking to as well as what we are talking about!

:-)
Ron

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 09 Jan 2013 02:56 #4

• drake
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK, here's a couple of pictures of the dual port throttle body used on this car.
As you can see, the ports are not easily accessed and are pretty deep, which could be a pain to reach. My concern is that I might put too much pressure on the shaft and possibly break it when I'm doing the cutting. And, I don't think Ron is going to rush right over to give me a new one to replace the broken one. Has anyone done one similar to this, and if so, how did you approach it?
Any suggestions or tips would definitely be appreciated. Thanks...Jim

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ron. Reason: Inserting pics

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 09 Jan 2013 06:08 #5

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Drake,

It wouldn't be the first time that it's been done so I'll put this out there...

The groove is placed underneath the throttle plate.

I think this is your TB...

You need to remove the throttlebodies from the riser manifold to get to the underside of the throttleplates.

Once you have them off, post some more pictures of the underside. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

This message has an attachment image.

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 09 Jan 2013 14:25 #6

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Right on, Karl!

THere are (thankfully!) very few assemblies that cannot be easily done with the bits that come with the Personal License. Just look at it and you'll find a way to get to them.

This is very similar to the one I did for Adam Abraham that made the documentary "A Groove that could change the world".

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 16 Jan 2013 06:32 #7

• drake
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl, You were right about the throttle body picture--that's the one I have.
Obviously, someone (don't know who:P) was looking at the wrong end of the port, as the other end is much easier to reach and to cut, apparently.

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 16 Jan 2013 07:27 #8

• drake
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl, and anyone else interested, here are 2 additional pictures of the other end of the TB ports. Looking at this end they don't look too difficult, though since they are my first ones to be done, I still would appreciate any tips.
Thanks!...Jim

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by Ron. Reason: Inserting Pics

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 16 Jan 2013 14:26 #9

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This is really a straightforward modification, Jim.

In this model, the same rule applies of doing The Groove, clearing the ECU, capping PCV, and checking vac leaks.

I would dearly love to be a part of this process, for (being a Toyota) we are going to have to work for mileage gains appropriate for that model. You should expect 20% with great ease. It is my position these (and all other engines) will go double-but you have to find the area they used to keep the mileage down.

We're going to accomplish something with this one!

Ron
PS: To insert pics, simply place your cursor at the point you want the picture to appear and click the "Insert" button next to the file you uploaded.

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 06 Feb 2013 17:49 #10

• drake
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, I did the MOD, but in the 3 weeks since, it has been really hard to determine exactly what I am getting in MPG. My HWY mpg seems like it is about 1-2 mpg LESS, and the city mpg seems to be erratic, so I'm not sure what I'm getting. My car features an AVERAGE MPG that it shows on the dashboard continuously,and it can also show INSTANT MPG, but it seems a bit erratic to me. I installed a TB that I had gotten from ebay, and I have no idea how well it was working on the previous vehicle, but I suspect that my groove may have been a bit off, or not cut correctly. My next step will be to use the TB that was originally on my car, cut it, and hope that I do a better job and achieve greater mileage gains. I do have one of the MFIEs that I want to install later, after I feel that I have gotten all I can get out of the MOD itself. Maybe(?) I need the MAPster? Any suggestions, anyone? I will be very, very busy for the next 6 days, so I won't be able to do anything to it any time soon.
Thanks for any comments!...Jim (Drake)

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 06 Feb 2013 22:43 #11

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did you take any pictures of the mod? If so, please post them.

Re: 2000 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6 Dual Port T.Body 07 Feb 2013 13:59 #12

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I recommend testing your MAP to see if The MAPster will work. That's included in the Installation Guide.

If it DOES work, you had better use one!

Ron

• Page: