Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 24 Mar 2013 08:22 #1

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,
I done my first groove on a 2005 Daewoo Matiz. The engine is a 3 cylinder one, 47 BHP. The PVC valve has the same suction point with the cranckcase ventilation hose. the arragement can be seen in the next picture.

The PVC valve was blocked in closed position, the ventilatin of the engine beeing done by the cranckcase ventilation hose which has the delivery point in front of the TB.
the groove was done with the midlle size bit, because of the size of the TB. it looks like in the picture bellow.

after the Ecu was conditioned the exhaust gases turned from a gasoline smell to a warm air flow one. the torque of the engine increased, beeing felt at lower RPM also.
the gas analises after the grooving are presented in the next picture.

as I can see the HC content is 5 ppm at 2600 RPM and 1 ppm at idle. that meens the engine is burning 99% of the fuel beeing delivered to him.
after driving the car in the city traffic for aprox 450 km the fuel efficiency raised with 21 %. keeping in mind that the price of gasoline in Romania is 6 dollars per gollon I consider this procentage to be not a neglijable one.

I grooved a second Daewoo Matiz. My father one. he is driving mostlly out of town. after the first 100 km on road he mentioned a 23.8% in increasing fuel eficiensy. but I will make a full report after a full tank of gasoline beeing burned.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 24 Mar 2013 09:29 #2

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well Done, Aurel!

VERY well done!

And you can expect the mileage to change as the ECU continues to adapt. While I can't say where it will settle down to, you have now the first step to 100+.

I would strongly recommend you re-groove it with the large bits. This will have an even more dramatic effect. While you may cut through the walls of the throttle body, simply build it up with a good metal epoxy where you see it will cut through first, and be sure to DOUBLE CHECK after you cut the larger groove to ensure no leaks are present.

Good job!

Ron

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 24 Mar 2013 18:18 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Aurel,

Definitely nice job @21% and 23%

A suggestion if it applies, what looks like an Idle Air vent in your picture,
you could reduce that a bit and actually move farther ffrom the groove flow path by notching inside the wall so it would not mess with the gasket area

If your TB looks like this one, it may apply

It may or may not affect things, with a 20% plus improvement you may not want to mess with it. :)

Good job and welcome to Gadgetman Land

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 25 Mar 2013 06:55 #4

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you Karl for the advices.I was also thinking about idle air channel but I deciced for the moment not to touch this part of the TB. First I will try to regroove with the biggest bit, as Ron said. See if any change will develop and after that, when I will find a specialized epoxy for the this job, I will reshape the idle air channel.

Thank you again!

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 25 Mar 2013 18:46 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Nice work Aurel, welcome to Gadgetman Land!

You found Great results on your first Grooves!

Do as Ron says with re-Grooving, he's The Man, he Knows!

I would also agree w/ Karl about moving and restricting the Idle air Passage with metal epoxy.

Have you thought of opening the spark plug gap's? 20% increase in gap width is recommended starting point.

But, one thing at a time!

It's cool you are with us, people ALL Over are discovering and doing the Groove!

Welcome, Aurel! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 09 Apr 2013 12:04 #6

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am ready to report that after 700 km in and out of town, my father's Matiz consumed 35 ltr of gas. that is an excinting 5 ltr/100km = 47MPG, representing a 23% increase in fuel efficiency.

now, both cars with which I started to groove have been regrooved with the biggest bit. the result was an even better torq of the engines. both cars are accelerating better than they were new.

I will wait to see what are the results in the fuel consuption with the bigger groove. Untill than this is how my father's groove lookes like after regooving.

it seems like I can not load the picture now. I will try later.

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 11 Apr 2013 21:50 #7

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Would you be so kind as to scan these slips as a single scan and send them to me with the vehicle specifics?

We're gathering emissions data before and after to start approaching fleets!

Great work, Aurel!

Ron

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 28 Apr 2013 16:18 #8

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Ron, I am sorry for the delayed answerer , but for the last 25 days I have been back to my ship, sailing on Mediterranean Sea. Until now the internet connection on board was a mess. I am going to be home beginning of June and I will gladly answer to you request. I am looking forward to start grooving again. I already spread the word of the groove efficiency to my Croatians and Polish colleagues
All the best!
Aurel.

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 28 Apr 2013 22:04 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Wow Aurel the Med...! :cheer:

That job sounds interesting as can be, so many different interesting ports and varied people!

what kind of ship are you on?

Good for You spreading the word about the Groove, and smooth sailing, Mate!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 30 Apr 2013 14:43 #10

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

You are right, this job is great, it give me the opportunity of being in a new port every 4-5 days , to visit places which otherwise I would pay lots a lot of money to see. Yesterday I had a walk in Genoa, Italy in 4 day I will be in Istanbul, Turkey. Next are Alexandria, Egypt and Tarragona, Spain. I was even in Houston, Texas for so many times, few years ago. But… it doesn’t matter how nice the place I am visiting is or how reach and different cultures I am finding myself in, in the background there is always something missin because I am unable to share this moments with the people I care the most, because they are home, waiting for be to come back. So, home is still the best place to be! And believe me I didn’t meet yet a seaman which would think otherwise.
And there is nothing to groove here :) ! Beside a two stroke Zodiac rescue boat engine, all the other engines are diesel. I am thinking to write a small post on forum about all the maintenance we are doing here to our diesel engines to keep them in top shape.

Thank you for your best wishes!

Aurel

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 30 Apr 2013 18:18 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yes Aurel longing for home is a theme I see in every sailor story or account I've ever read?

Just curious what kind of ship are you on? A feighter? I'mm gonna guess a small-medium size freighter... how many Gross tons displacement? Is it a good ship/happy crew? hope So! :)

Do you have any free time when at sea, or is it just constant work?

Just wonderin'...

Tracy G :cheer:
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

First groove, done on an Daewoo Matiz 08 Jul 2013 13:27 #12

• aurelbatrinu2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

I wanted to close this topic with the latest information of how this car model in behaving after the groove is done on the TB. both cars grooved have, after almost 1000 km of driving most of the time in town, a 25% increase of fuel efficiency and a much bigger torque ( making first gear to be very short). they are two small happy cars now! the mane of the model now is Chevrolet Spark.

• Page: