Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 27 Jun 2013 02:00 #1

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi there. This is my first groove.
The idle channel was too large so I used JB quick to reduce it.
The groove started quite nicely but then my dremel threw a wobbly, litterally.
The cheap insert in the chuck chewed out causing the bit to sit crooked.

I filled the messed up groove with JB and did it again with my new proper dremel this morning.
It cut through in 2 places so JBed those.
Removal and install is very straight forward. 3 hoses, 2 plugs and only 2 bolts. 5 minutes.

The car runs noticeably better but the check engine light came on.
I made the new idle channel a little bigger thinking it was too small, no difference.
I have a basic OBD2 unit but it comes up with an error while scanning.

Ron thinks it will be the throttle position sensor.
I will do another post when the issue has been resolved. May reset the computer again.

The pics show how I prepared for JB quick. The brush is holding it all in place and the waxed baking paper peels off really easy once the epoxy is hard. There is a bit of a step in the shape so I used the foam type double sided tape to pack that. The plastic case makes it nice and flat.
I cleaned it out with a mini flapper sanding drum on the dremel, great little tool!

The re-routed fix came up good but I forgot to take a photo :-(

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rino Stoof. Reason: Added pics

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 04 Jul 2013 05:00 #2

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just did 230km on 13.6L which is 16.9 Km/L.
Best ever before was just a hint short of 14 but on average 13 on the high way, about 10 in town.
That includes a bit of city driving and climbing over a 800m (2400ft) hill range from sea level.

So that's 30% better!

Need less to say I'm chuffed :-)

Just for our US g-men, that's 39.75mpg :-)

Last edit: by Rino Stoof. Reason: Completeness

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 04 Jul 2013 13:56 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
VERY Nice work, Rino!! :woohoo: Congrats on Xclent results!!

And this is your first one...

I give you a 10 Score for Improvisational Abilities during the Re-route period of your Performance.
Even the East German Judge is holding up a 9.1 card!

You handled the challenges as they came along w/ this one well. As Gadgetvolk, we develop and increase our ability to think and reason our way thru problems. I for one will pay close attention to your work, Rino! ;)

So how many jams did ya help McGyvver outa? He's still calling you for help, eh?

I note that you are near Sea Level there in NZ? I think that MPG will be best at low altitudes.
Did the code clear up?

So for the IAC channel you basically built up a dam and wall, then cut a small opening in it at top when cured to give a reduced air path? How big an opening, if i'm right?

Thank goodness for JB Quick!

good on you, Rino!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 04 Jul 2013 15:24 #4

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you Tracy, You've just about got me blushing :blush:
I'm sure there are many guys that would have done the same.

Hey I just want to run an idea past you.
When the plate is a bit open, say at cruise speed, some air will always get sucked in at the top of the plate.
This can't be good for the effect we want.
So how about getting some metal putty and doing something like this:

Grease proof sandwich paper is thin and won't stick to anything, including epoxy.
So if you put some of that at the top, pushed the putty into it, rotated the plate back and forth while gently pushing up you should end up with a nice ball shaped section that will stop 99% of the air coming in there.
At full throttle you will lose a little 'throat' but you could always experiment with the size of it. The vapor will make up for some lost power there anyway.
Ron reckons the flow there is minimal but if a tiny vacuum leak can upset the apple cart then surely this will not help.

You can buy the putty in tubes and it doesn't run so you won't be frantically chasing moving epoxy.
Yet it holds just as well and sets steel hard.
You'd just rough up the plate before you do it.
If you're worried about it coming of you could put some small bolts through the plate and mold the stuff around them.

I'm interested to hear what you think as I'm keen to give it a go..

Oh and no, the light did not go out. Didn't affect the usage though so I'll wait till I get my OBD2 gadget.
It takes about 1-2 minutes to come on after starting.

I live at about 400ft above sea level but my daughter is in a coastal city.

Cheers
Rino

PS Thank you East German judge LOL My McGiver shirt got epoxy on :-( LOL It's good to be a bit crazy!

This message has an attachment image.

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 21 Jul 2013 00:16 #5

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well I did the above mentioned experiment on my little Daewoo today.

Using Selleys KneadIt epoxy I put a dam on the opposite side of the groove on my butterfly plate.
Two small bolts and nuts embedded in the epoxy make it all but impossible for it to fall of.
I made it a bit on the big side as it's easier to trim down than build up after.
This ensures there is very little air entering at the top ensuring almost all of it has to go through the groove. This should help the process.

Unfortunately I still don't have my OBD2 reader so the engine light keeps coming on. I can't be sure about mileage till this is sorted. It went back to standard after a few hundred kms with the light coming on.

I'll post again when there's more to tell :-)

This message has attachments images.

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 21 Jul 2013 18:01 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Rino that's a Very interesting mod idea. One question, are there any vacuum ports in the area of throttle bore this air dam rotates past? if so those port(s) may not "see" a vac. signal till the dam clears them? :huh:

But is is a great creative idea. IF top-end power suffers it could be trimed down a bit.

Be interesting to hear if seat-of-the-pants power changes...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 21 Jul 2013 22:59 #7

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy

There are 2 tiny holes, you can see the tubes into them on the last photo.
One is capped already and as the other one only 'opens' when the plate has already got a fair amount of opening I think that the air leaking past my plug ought to be enough. At that time the vacuum is low anyway.
The car has lost its initial 'want to go' impulse which I actually quite like, it was very touchy in bumper to bumper situations like traffic jams. It now behaves pretty much like it did before the groove. It makes it a bit easier to drive at slow speed.
Full power is only down a fraction, if at all.

I have a feeling my error will be the second O2 sensor.

Where's that OBD2 thingy?? Lord give me patience, but give it to me NOW!! :-)

2005 Daewoo Nubira 1600 wagon in New Zealand 22 Jul 2013 19:22 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Very interesting results Rino. Almost counter-intuitive when you think the air all has to go on Groove side at low throttle settings, I'd almost expect it to have more "jump" not less. but ya got useful results all the same! :cheer:

Time and KM driven will tell the story. I'll sure look at those kind of baffles on throttle blades differently from now on. Making throttle response smoother might be the whole reason factories use 'em to begin with? I saw a far more subdued version of this as OEM on a full sized Buick TB w/ 3800 Series II '99 model year a year ago. If these baffles appear on Grandma-type cars like this Buick but not on other cars from same MFG co (think GM) with same engine same model year then this theory might make sense...? :huh: HHMMMmmm... this type baffle is a "de-tune" device...maybe?

First time I ever saw anyone de-tune the Groove to make throttle less sensitive, so it will be of interest to see what your experience is w/ this. thanks, Rino superb pics and explanation as usual! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: