Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 29 Jun 2013 04:14 #1

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did above car today.
The 2 water hoses were a bit of a pain as they are only as long as they need to be leaving very little room to play with them. On top of this the usual spring clips around them did not open up enough to slide them out of the way so they were quite time consuming.
The rest removing/re-mounting of it was straight forward.

The idle air comes in below the groove and the metal is thin so the groove goes through as the pics show. JB quick to the rescue :-)

I chose not to re-route the idle inlet thinking it might be far enough back from the groove. Was I right or should I have done this?

Once the holes were filled in the groove came up good.

The ventilation supply air seems to go in one tappet cover. then there is a link between 1 and 2 and then one connection to the manifold from 2. I re-routed a new hose into the inlet post filter and capped the manifold fitting.
Reset the computer while working on it.

The car has improved pickup, will find out about mileage I guess :-)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 29 Jun 2013 19:17 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hiya Rino! Re; the idle air...Well I'd prefer to see a shot of the TB intake man. mounting surface and the TB gasket to be certain of my advice...but I think I see an opportunity to cut a slot from right edge of the idle air well. There is a pronounced square-ish shaped outboard enlargement of throttle bore on right side of the bore, right by the throttle axle. This outboard enlargement area is very close to the right end of the idle air well. and this enlargement is over throttle axle away from the Groove. Would also be useful to see clearly down into that idle air well behind the Groove to see just how the air path is.

Can you visualize what I'm saying here, Rino? IT MAY be possible to re-direct idle airflow over to the bore enlargement, and simultaneously reduce the idle airflow as well. But It depends on what the intake mounting surface and the gasket look like. You may already know that Ron has taught to reduce IAC airflow and cap PCV vacuum source to improve manifold vacuum and force a higher % of total airflow through the Groove.

but anyhow you're off to a roaring Start, Good On You! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 30 Jun 2013 18:26 #3

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy

Thanks for your reply again :-)

I had a funny feeling you'd suggest that, I guess it seemed a little daunting and I'm also running low on JB already :-(
The gasket just leaves the holes exposed while closing of the rest.
I will have another go when I get some more epoxy. Will post the results then.

I'll be doing a 3 cylinder 900cc Daihatsu Charade next. Carburetor and no computer. Should be interesting :-)
After that a Honda Odisy (or however you spell that :blink: ). That will make it 5 all up so far :-)

Cheers
Rino

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 01 Jul 2013 00:40 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yeah, Rino well at least JB quick isnt expensive!

IF you look at my first post about a Jeep inline 6 TB I did MArch last year, and other posts of Jeep TB's you can get more clues about IAC re-routing. IF I knew how to add graphics to posted pics, I would, but I'm a computer shputz. I think you can imagine the idea anyhow! ;)

I say Bravo to your frontal attack into Gadgetmanland! :evil:

I'm sure that 'lil Daihatsu is a dinky carb. The Japanese like to make carb base TB's from Iron. And they also like to put assembly screws for the base to main body up in wells that impinge upon the iron TB casting thickness next to the main bore. You will discover when ya pull that Daihatsu charade carb off. I'd have your camera handy when you pull it, you may have questions on this one. My Subaru's Iron carb TB had this issue, I was able to Groove it though the Groove didn't go full width. My post thread w/ pics for that was "85 Subaru w/ thin iron throttle body" or very close to those words.

This Mitsubishi, how much oil was it leaking and where? did the crankcase/oil pan gaskets leak, or was it oil aspiration into the new hoses?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 01 Jul 2013 02:16 #5

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy

Wow, those jeep pics look a little daunting. I get your drift though and will do this to the mitsi when it's here next (friend of ours).

It is the toyota that's leaking. Pretty much both cam and crank seals. Just worn out. Far apart oil changes have not helped I imagine.
Still, it was a good exercise and it's still more responsive then before :-) I doubt there will be much if any mileage improvement though.

I can't find your post re the iron subaru body.. Will keep looking tough.
What did you end up doing with the water injection unit?

Cheers
Rino

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 01 Jul 2013 22:36 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Rino Re: my Subaru carb, go to Index, Carbureted vehicles, it's in there, a bit long. The Mistifyer, I removed it. Couldn't get it adjusted right, and it caused rough idle. Too much/or too little water came thru the hose. Probably was developed yrs ago for bigger engines is my guess. I think an ideal water injection would give true vapor so it's more like humidity on a rainy day. The Mistifyer may still work for other app's than my Subaru.

Yeah, engine wear is wear, same w/ neglect. I'm trying to understand the Toyota, did oil leaks increase as result of PCV cap/re-route?

Thanks! Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 02 Jul 2013 17:39 #7

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy

Just want to say, it's cool to have you, and others, to bounce stuff of, thanks a lot! :-)

I'll have a look at your sub blog later. They are very popular here in NZ so it does interest me!

The Toyota leaks are slowed down/masked by the PCV vacuum as the oil get sucked back in as fast as it wants to leak out, at least that's my theory.
So as soon as the proper manifold vac (read PCV valve) comes off, the oil comes out.
The car is now back with its owner and she is thinking about new seals. Fortunately the main rear seal seems to be dry. That's good as it's the trickiest to do. I can do that one later when I replace the clutch which will need doing soon (ahrg, old cars...).
The car is in too good a condition to chuck out so it's still worth the work/money.

Pitty about the water thing! A friend of mine used to own a twin turbo WRX and I recall him showing me a factory button which could be used to put short term bursts of water in...
There are some clips on youtube where people are experimenting with those electronic vaporisers like you see in some water features.
They give of a cold steam that is heavier than air. In one they run an van on that only

I'd love to have a go at that, not sure how much power they draw and you have to keep them covered when cornering etc.
Unfortunately I don't have the money to play with it... :-(

I have been working on a centrifugal force water motor but again, no cash to buy bits

Sitting in water, once spinning fast enough, the centrifugal force will jet the water out faster then the disk is spinning causing it to drive itself faster. It will eventually self destroy unless controlled. I've sussed out a way to do that, the ply circle on top is covering the special holes for that. Search for Richard Clem (or Klem?) and Viktor Schauberger.
Richard got his to put out 360 HP continuously without any fuel! He mysteriously had a heart attack after the dyno tests!!

I burnt out my drill attempting a test run in a pool :-( It weighs close to 10kg.

Any way, one thing at a time eh?!

Cheers
Rino

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 02 Jul 2013 18:55 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Rino your water centrifugal turbine--I instantly thought of Schauberger! :woohoo:

You are a Real Gadget Man for sure! Nice workmanship on that, Interesting theory of operation. Folks like us are always looking for a better way. I'm no inventor personally, I just look for cool things others have done and look for things I can apply. I'm not a real Fabricator, but I discovered Tin Snips (!?) :lol: a couple years ago, here's one result:

The whole Water as fuel thing is interesting, but tweaky. Another Gadgetman, Dan Merrick, has a whole new type of water-gas named after him, Merrick's Gas. I believe there to be real merit in that.

By the way my Subie runs better in wet weather like now I think something closer to humidity might be better for it.

Thanks, gotta go t-storm?cloudburst got to roll up windows!!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has an attachment image.

Mitsubishi GTO 3L V6 1992 in NZ 05 Jul 2013 01:40 #9

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy

That looks cool, or hot rather.
What exactly is it? A highly efficient stove? Excuse my ignorance..

I took the TB of the mitsi again and did the re-routing as dicussed. See pics below

No major difference noticeable from the first attempt to this one, I guess the groove was already working. It should be more efficient now though. :-)
Our friend doesn't really keep accurate records but she will notice having some left in her tank at the end of the week. She has noticed, and likes, the performance pickup :-) She'll be telling her friends about it..

You can see the car in one of the pics, it's a nice low slung sports car :-)

• Page: