Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ

BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ 08 Jul 2013 04:21 #1

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The main thing I noticed was that both the ventilation intake and PCVvalve went into the rubber tube between the filter and the TB. I.e. there was no full vacuum used for the valve that I could see.
The cable linkage is quite fiddly and took a fair bit of fluffing around to get off, and back on again
This car has a quite large vacuum gauge factory built into its dash. The owner reckons this was showing a bit higher after the mod.
The car is more responsive, mileage remains to be seen.

I needed to lay quite a chunk of JB as the body is very thin.

Groove done.

In the car showing the groove from the other side.

Whole job took under an hour, 20 mins of which was spent waiting for the JB to set.
Reset the computer by shorting batt terminals.
Please note, the battery is under the back seat!! :-)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ 10 Jul 2013 00:26 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Rino rides Again! :P I'd like to come see you, what's the best season for the drive to NZ? guess I might need a couple gas cans in the trunk...

A very straight-forward one to Groove even if the Linkage and battery location are "Interesting". The Germans seem to take a superior approach re: crankcase ventilation. I have an AOS on one of my crankcase vent hoses on my 85 Subaru originally made for a BMW of similar vintage as this one.

I think it's also interesting that you and Ron live in towns named Hamilton. Plus Ron told me your name is pronounced same as my city, Reno, Nevada?

I doubt it will be possible to restrain you from Grooving most of what strays into range of your Dremel...

Tear 'em up, Rino! :evil:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: forgot sumthin'

BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ 10 Jul 2013 04:05 #3

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy

Summer (your winter) would definitely be best but you'll need an amphibian to 'drive' here LOL
It would be great to meet you, our upstairs spare room in our 1948 Ford Trader house bus awaits you :-)
Anyone from a city named after me is always welcome :-) (they just got he city's spelling wrong!! LOL)

You're right about my hungry dremel! It's going to attack a 198? Toyota Corolla with a carburetor in the morning. No computer..

What are the adjustments I should make after the groove, apart from the idle?

There's probably a hyundai or two lined up after that :-)

I look forward to hearing from you!
Rino

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ 10 Jul 2013 15:37 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yo Rino!

Maybe I can get a used Military surplus amphibious assault tractor, and tow a BIG gas tank behind it, maybe a deck w/fishing platform atop the tank, a rain catch ststem......

OK the Toyota how many miles/KM on this ride? Be aware most Oriental carb's I've seen use an Iron throttle body, are small, and have mounting screws going up into main body from TB base, and these screws' bores often impinge upon the Groove area.

Count turns in to gently seat idle mixture screw before Grooving or before adjusting. See if after Groove if it can tolerate less turns out for a stable warmed-up idle speed/quality. Some carbs very sensitive, even 1/8 turn can make difference. Use yer nose at tailpipe clean smelling moist exhaust is best. If opened up can drop float level a little talking a millimeter or two dont go too far risk a trip in the Maze! Check everyplace for vac. leaks highly likely in something 30-ish yrs old.

Xtra work to be sure--but can use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in fuel line to drop fuel pressure, obviously best to check fuel pressure to carb first. AND has this carb been rebuilt before, 'cause most ANY carb. on the road today is OLD, decades old w/ likely issues, gaskets, accell. pump wear, mounting gasket, grunge varnish crud inside. Possible throttle shaft wear w/ attendant vac. leak, spray carb. cleaner at base while running watch for RPM reaction.

To me, nearly any carb seen is likely needing a rebuild unless already recently done properly. Fuel filter, how new, and does the whole shebang look all-original? Condition of choke and any vacuum pull-off diaphragm and vac. secondary diaphragm? Easy to test diaphragm integrity for leaks, suck or push gently closed block vac. source see if it holds. DON'T hit any diaphragm from any carb w/ carb. cleaner can kill the rubber diaphragm! :oops:

BTW Weber replacement carbs can be a great solution on small 4 cyl. engines, some I've looked at look Groove-able if JB were built up on outside of Groove area, tuning parts available, all mail-order of course. Check local smog regs re;replacement carb's if applicible. All I've spoken to who went w/ Weber were happy!

Rino you likely already know all this, just sayin for whoever reads this. Carbs can be a lot of work, but if problems are present your Groove job could be blamed for no good results. Examine this one w/ a keen eye. If it looks suspect in any way ( I forgot to say casting warping does happen w/ age) warn vehicle owner upfront, decide w/ owner if rebuild is needed, and would you do it? I have made my own replacement fiber/paper base carb gaskets before w/ OK results, but any other gasket would require Saintly patience to reproduce.

Also check all vacuum hoses rarely have I seen 'em maintained. Auto Mfg's got real happy w/ vacuum gizmo's in the 80's esp 1985 model year (ask why I know) I keep a roll or 2 of new vac. hose in carb. sizes and use a fair amount of it.

fuel Injection stuff is a breeze compared to carb's IMHO.

Other side of coin- in NZ maybe whole deal is much less complex than what was foisted upon we long-suffering Yank vehicle owners, no gubmint EPA mandated fun extra stuff, or less of it anyhow..?

Sorry for this long ugly post, but those bumpy things in the meadow may not be Easter Eggs!

Also carb. vehicles are old enuf that better Ignition parts often help a LOT it will have a dizzy, check cond. of cap/rotor, plug wire resistance. tune-up's w/ top quality parts usually get a good bang for the buck w carbureted engines. More so if it actually has Points(!) in the dist.

Good luck Rino good hunting!!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ 11 Jul 2013 04:37 #5

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks very much for all that info Tracy!
I actually now preciously little about carburetors in real life, just a bisic understanding how they work, that's all..

I'm going to start a new post for the corolla now :-)

Cheers
Rino

BMW 520 2L 1994 Auto in NZ 11 Jul 2013 15:42 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Back at 'ya, buddy!

I'll gladly try to help ya w/ any questions you have. Carbs can seem exotic, but all break down into a group of systems. Took me years to get familiar w/ 'em. Don't do many anymore but I did get my neighbor buddy and his son un-stuck w/ a Suzuki Samarai carb the other day.

Ron is right, Be Bold. We learn from every job. We help each other along the Way.

"when you can snatch the bit from my hand, Grasshopper, then you will be ready..."

I see your Dremel is still hungry... :evil:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: