Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Groove on Tiburon SE

First Groove on Tiburon SE 20 Jul 2013 16:37 #1

• Grant
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello all, good to be on the forum !

Question, Does it matter if the spark plug gaps are tuned and the TB mod are done to the car at the same time ?
If not, which one should I try first ? the plugs or the groove ?

My Tiburon currently has the PCV mod done, and the fuel consumption is still factory, about 26/28 to the gallon city and 31/gallon highway however I have noticed it is a little smoother accelerating from low revs.

Special thanks to Ron for helping out with my forum registration :)

I look forward to driving with the groove, I will post some pics of my TB before it's fitted.

Grant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

First Groove on Tiburon SE 21 Jul 2013 18:14 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hi Grant and Welcome to GadgetmanLand! Sounds like a new Disney theme park doesn't it? :cheer:

Doesn't matter which you do first. But if you're waiting for your bits, then could gap plugs first. And if the Tiburon has over 50-60 K miles would help to replace O2 sensors as well. If you have access to a scantool w/datastream could get readings of O2 voltages and see how fast they switch hi/low, then re-scan w/ new O2's for before/after data. Many have had no MPG gains w/ Groove 'till thet replaced tired O2's, so it matters.

Anyhow welcome aboard, and we LOVE to see pics of the project and your work!! ;) IF you have been following the Site ahwhile you know we pitch in to help each other w/ challenges.

Welcome, Grant!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

First Groove on Tiburon SE 21 Jul 2013 20:31 #3

• Grant
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,
Thanks for the warm welcome, and the advice !

Attached is an image of my first groove. The angle of it is the same as the brass plate, and as close as I could get it. The cutting tool I ground myself from a ball burr which is 8mm diameter.
How did I do ?

Question: Even if the engine check light is not coming on, and there is no code for an O2 sensor fault, can they still be faulty ? that is to say, working, but poorly.

Thanks
Grant

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

First Groove on Tiburon SE 22 Jul 2013 14:28 #4

• Grant
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here in ova Scotia, emissions testing is not mandatory. This makes getting the exhaust gas analyzed quite tricky.

I guess if the engine is running better the fuel consumption will have reduced. I can't afford to have time on a Dyno either, so it will have to be the old fashioned way.
Unless there is some kind of trip computer could install on my Tiburon ? has anyone tried this method ?

Grant

First Groove on Tiburon SE 22 Jul 2013 18:19 #5

• Grant
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have just replaced the spark plugs, and set the gap to .o7"

What has been everyone's experience of gapping their plugs ? what gaps have you guys been using ??

Grant

First Groove on Tiburon SE 22 Jul 2013 21:52 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hi again Grant. Yes old O2's will still work but at reduced efficiency w/o setting codes, MPG power and emissions will likely degrade on same path.

Plug gaps, Ron recommenda 20% over stock, so a .050 gap would become .060". .070 is pretty big, but you could pick easiest one to get to and add another .005" in steps till misfire then back off some, then put rest at that size, but .070 is pretty big.

Your home-made bit is cool, but not same as Ron's. If ya get a Personal Liscence setup and compare you'll see. I had a carbide ball bit cut down by a pro toolmaker for my iron Subie's carb base to save Ron's bits and he'd never seen anything like Ron's w/ 40 yrs. experience.

Don't sweat the gas-analyzer, just cup hand at tailpipe then feel/smell. Hot moist air there w/ no smell is sure sign of success! MPG calc's and driveability-power will tell the story.

Remember to do a re-learn procedure after re-install of TB, you will know within a few miles if you're in the zone.

Glad you're here Grant. I met Ron and the Groove 'cause of Peter Lindemann and Aaron Murakami as well! Definitely power-thinkers all 3 of those guys.

I'm guessing you are at/near Sea Level In Nova Scotia? Lots of moist Maritime air off the Atlantic. Good for power.

Keep comin' back!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: