Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993?

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 30 Oct 2013 13:52 #25

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I combined the #2 and #3 leading to this part attached to the Power Steering Pump which has another hose right beside it leading to the air duct (#4 that is).

That #1 hose is attached to the Air Duct. I have nothing going to the exhaust. But I did reduce the opening of the EGR to about 20 percent of it's original size to see what that would do. No difference was noticed with this modification.

The noise started from the moment I had the #2 and #3 hoses attached to their original spots at the Lower end of the manifold. It kind of felt like if the converter was being deprived of something in particular.

Yes, it is starting to make sense to me now. The EGR was narrowed and by reconnecting those two hoses back where they go (lower manifold section). Perhaps that created havoc. The engine actually seemed to well with it but not that converter (the sound was like rattling every so often).

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 30 Oct 2013 14:01 #26

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
No thanks to all of you in the Gadgetman Family for all your help and hard work.

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 30 Oct 2013 16:19 #27

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I meant :NO; thanks to all of you!

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 30 Oct 2013 23:58 #28

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
OK Carlos thanks for posting the pic. Got some eye strain tracing out the hose routing. Notice how the letters for the hose nipples on the TB correspond to the connections on other end of hoses?

That is a clue for anyone who gets lost w/ vac. hoses.

Also Carlos has helped prove that taking a shot of the vac. hose sticker (when it's there) helps illustrate the various hoses.

that being said--

Carlos I'm sorry I know you're trying here--but I'm still messed up trying to understand your hose mods. I've never heard of any hose on a power steering anything unless it was a hydraulic fluid hose! :P

Simply ensure the PCV manifold vac source is properly sealed off. And that the hose from PCV is routed to the air duct before the TB.

I'd put all the rest of the hoses back to bone stock. you've restricted the idle air passage already.

Too many folks in their zeal are wandering into the hose jungle and getting lost...

The following is a preachy statement for General Audiences not just you Carlos: :angry:

As Ron has urged till the poor guy is ready to drop--read the training materials, again again. REPEAT Doya understand what Ron is trying to say?

The Gadgetman Groove is a very advanced technique requiring more than casual understanding of how engines and all the systems involved work. That is why Ron keeps saying what he does. One can have great results by just studying the training materials and trying to stick to them. BUT...

Even folks with experience still go astray with the advanced stuff like playing around with hoses and all kinda other stuff. Most Mechanics today don't know Jack about Carb's unless they hook up w/ an old guy like me or self-train, since Carb's are obsolete on cars now. Not relevent to Carlos' car here but an indicator of the current state of things.

SO- I would kindly advise to anyone who wants to go into the Hose Jungle,

do your own study to understand what you are messing with. EVERY ONE of those hoses are there for a reason. Alterations can work for you, but will mess you up unless you completely understand what all components are. Lots of devices connected by vac. hoses are switching types responding to tenp. changes or other changes in operating state.

I'm adventurous with lots of engine systems, and do experiment. And i've studied how vac. hose operated devices work for 35 years, I'm still learning believe me. I didn't even really have the full picture of the PCV system until I met Ron (thank God I did! :woohoo: ) What I've learned from Ron and others here (thanks to all who have been patient w/ me!) has enabled me to design a new type of air oil separator for the breather side of the PCV system. And that's just one idea that invaded my imagination since Ive' been cluttering up this Forum...

OK. Enough of this Ivyleague banter from me.

Again Carlos thanks for posting that vac. diagram sticker pic. I'm gonna ask for those when needed from now on!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 31 Oct 2013 00:42 #29

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Ok Carlos, So ya put those 2 hoses on bottom tee from lower intake manifold back to stock then the converter started rattling? Not sure 'bout that...You've mentioned about a hose from the power steering? Ya sure you don't mean a hose Near or Next to the power steering?

Only thing coming to mind here--years ago Mfg's used different type of air injection to the exhaust, upstream from the cat. converter. Purpose was to add oxygen into ehxaust to help cat light off to operating temp, esp. during engine warm-up when fuel system usually is run on the rich side. This air inject. helps early cat light off, reducing emissions helping Mfg's meet Gov't standards.

Often (like on my 85 Subaru) there is a vac. operated control valve inline to an air supply hose leading into the air injection system. Earlier on, like the 70's and early 80's there were air pumps, or even just simple reed-valve type systems that allowed air to go in one way but not let exhaust back feed into the system.
So if that rattle in exhaust persists it may be related or a coincidence, but get the car safely on a lift or go to muffler shop to check out the cat. and system in general. I've seen the muffler guys just bang on the converter to see if it rattles if it does it may be going out.

so I dont really know, never worked on one of these, but might this mystery (to me) hose you say is from Power Steering just look that way but really be something else? I do know that often there is an electrical connect. on the pwr steer. system to signal the computer that the steering system is under load (and therefore the pump, therefore the engine) and to let the comp. know to compensate for the added engine load.........

But if this car has a hose going between the power steering system and it DOES NOT route pwr steering fliud somewhere, well then teach me something new, please!

I just wanted ya to know I'm tryin' to help. Regarding pics--often it has been helpful to take a wide shot of as complete a view of the modded hose connections, marking out those black hoses w/ colored tape, masking tape, whatever to visually mark the different ones. Close up shots do justice to seeing detail of THAT connection but obscure understanding of the Whole system. Before/After type shots really help as well! It's hard for visually impaired folks like yours Truly to sort out all the black hoses (even in person), That's why I have studied how these systems work to un-mask what's up w/ 'em!

The old saying about needles in a Haystack--well there are sewing, knitting, pine, hypodermic, basketball inflation,............See?

Thanks for your input Carlos, keep goin'

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: even MORE stuff....sigh....