Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 04 Dec 2013 21:26 #1

• 4wheelBill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This car was groovy and has a 20% gain in mpg and goes like there's no tomorrow .the rpm dropped way down to 1500 in 5 gear at 75 miles hr. This is by far the best mod done to any car i have own .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 4wheelBill.

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 04 Dec 2013 22:27 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
CRACK! goes the bat..."IT's over the fence, folks! 4WD Bill has another home run!" :evil:

and the crowd goes wild... :woohoo:

Cool, Bill.

Ya know what a detail freak I am, (don't know 'bout anyone else :blink: )

Ya got any more details, any pics, what's the De-Tails, ...(sound like a dog panting)

interested folks wanna know.... :P

'nother notch on yer dremel...!!

Congrats, Bill, the Gadgetman Groove wins Again!
and so do You!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 31 Jan 2014 22:56 #3

• 4wheelBill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok some time this week i will be fitting Dan`s cold vapor system and give it a good test i am very excited this car already has the groove plus gets 47 mpg

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 02 Feb 2014 20:32 #4

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
way to go GadgetmanGroove works again hope mine is that good
geraldc

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 12 May 2014 18:34 #5

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Could you show any pictures of the PCV valve re-route?

God Bless,

Joseph

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 12 May 2014 19:22 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Joseph! I won't go into PCV reroute details now, I've done that subject to death here already, posted many times--but I'll remind of my current opinion on that mod- My and others' experience this past Winter, is that certain engines experience water vapor buildup in crankcase during cold operation. Not much a factor now, but remember this if you do reroute PCV when next Winter shows up! :S PS- look around in the Index section here, lotsa data there on it.

Cheers, Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 12 May 2014 21:50 #7

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks, I shall look at those.
The reason I ask Bill for a picture is because I recently bought a 1994 Honda Civic Vtec-E 1.5 :)
I have been doing a thorough documentation on what the car's mpg is currently capable of doing - city, hwy, 50/50city&hwy etc.
I then plan to groove the car using the smallest bit to exploit a theory that I thought of base on what Ron had said: sometime the groove is so overwhelming that the sensors, computer chip etc. thwart the progress of the groove. So I thought of starting out with the smallest bit to see if this car can achieve better results than what Bill had, since we know from Bill what the large bit can already do.
If the car achieves the same results, that would just indicate that my theory may be correct because my car's engine is not in excellent shape like Bill's car is. Of course, if I get better results than my theory would be correct on this make and model.
Both Bill and I believe that the compression test done on my car was not accurate (108,90,92,92) due to it being too low making it not possible for the car to still average 45 mpg on average - 49.71 being its best but still that car without the groove should be getting 50/55 on the hwy.
I bought it at 326989 miles and currently it just past 330k, so I do plan to groove it soon and post the results before and after the groove :)

Naturally, I want to groove and reroute perfect this time so to avoid the disappointment that I had with me 1994 Civic EX Vtec that I did.

Last edit: by Joseph33.

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 13 May 2014 22:02 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yo Joseph, have ya thought of treating your Honda with RVS? Remember it's described in the fuel savers button here. I can say that Justin Clark is highly knowledgeable of this tech. oils, and engine stuff. And impressed me as a decent guy.
That's a lot of miles on it, but I'm not especially informed of Honda's. I will admit having been scanning craigslist a lot lately for cars and I've looked at lotsa Honda's and Subaru's. Both makes have a great reputation, maybe this one will cooperate better for ya! Is this one auto, or a stick? Yeah, those comp. test #'s aren't so hot, was that dry, how many rev's, I usually go for 7 or 8 rev's.

Your theory on bit size is quite interesting, I'll watch for your updates!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 14 May 2014 10:27 #9

• Joseph33
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I remember correctly, RVS can not be used with synthetic oil. This Honda Civic VX has had a full synthetic Mobil 1 oil in it for the last 170K at minimum. I would have to double check with the first owner to verify if he had used the full synthetic when he owned the car. So in that case, I wasn't planning on using the RVS; instead, I was going to switch the VX over to what I believe to be the best synthetic oil out there: AMSOIL.

If I end up keeping the 94 Civic EX, I planing to use RVS.

Oh yes it is a stick :) only sticks are capable of those mpg numbers that are not grooved or are hybrids.

Unfortunately I don't know for sure if it was a dry or wet compression test or how many rev's. It was conducted under the last owner by his mechanic that he trusted.

It may take a bit before my experimental results are published due to it being done very thoroughly. Example: I shall publish the 3.5K or 4K records without the groove and then show the 3.5K or 4K records with the groove. Currently I have driven the car just over 3K and plan to wait for another .5K or 1K to groove it so that I can see what the car can do mpg with a new thermostat. I have reason to believe that the old thermostat is not working properly because the radiator hose at the top is very hot after driving it and the hose that leads to the thermostat is just a little hot. So another .5K or 1K without the groove and then 3.5K or 4K with the groove for the grand posting :) I to can hardly what :)

This thoroughness should convince my critics and skeptics. You see I did not get in the end any favorable results from the Civic EX groove because I continually was doing something not right. My CRX was done right and did get favorable results but I did not do any thorough documentation and it was winter so the good results could have been better (getting 52mpg on hwy with 35 Fahrenheit temperature when the car is only supposed to get 47mpg according to the EPA in summer time); so my critics and skeptics disregarded it as inconclusive :( But NOT this time ;)

God Bless,

Joseph :)

Last edit: by Joseph33.

1993 Honda Civic vx VTEC 1.5 14 May 2014 11:50 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Joseph, you are to be admired for using an exacting method style in your efforts. At least we can do as we please and we are not seeking to publish in peer-reviewed journals or obtain university tenure.
You might contact Justin Clark anyhow and ask him of the synthetic oil issue, even if you don't decide to do RVS he's a great source of info, I'd mention you are a Gadgetman up-front. No doubt the synthetic has extended this engine's life. But is it a oil-leaker? I Strongly advise use Honda Factory t-stat ONLY!! You're doubtless aware of the coolant air purging issue/procedure for Honda's...Temp issues can arise if all air isnt purged from cooling system in Honda's. Search youtube for Ericthecarguy, he has a vid there how to fix this. 4WDBill will be informed I'm sure too.

In Asian/Japanese cars, heck any small engine I really prefer a stick! I'd sure rather do a clutch than an auto. trans rebuilt nowadays! Best for power and MPG's! Except driving in San Francisco :unsure: I've always liked Honda's, I once got a '84 CRX stick w/ dead engine, a freind needed a new ride, so I put in the larger of the 2 for it (1.5?L) and new clutch. he drove the $%^&& out of it for like 10 yrs, then passed it to another buddy who drove it for more years then I think it went to another, it was a little armored roller-skate a blast to drive! :lol:
I wish you all success in your endeavours good sir- ;) through sharing your efforts we ALL win in the end!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: