Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 27 Jan 2015 10:17 #1

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
After collecting 3k miles of data I will finally be grooving our newest family member. I've located the pcv and will try to be creative in moving it to the passive side. She doesn't need to look modified. And i've read a lot of folks on the 9th gen. civic forums that love the throttle body spacers for power. That gives me lots of hope right there.

Does anyone have experience with this engine? Would regapping plugs do anything for such a small engine? Each plug has its own coil so it would be a gradual process. And if anyone does have experience with this engine would it benefit from a top groove as well?

Hoping to get this completed in the next 2 weeks, comments are welcomed.

11,500 mileage
Currently 31 mpg in town, ECO mode on.
Best 47 mpg hwy, ECO mode off.
Ultragauge installed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 28 Jan 2015 11:23 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Ken, what's a Ultragauge?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 29 Jan 2015 07:49 #3

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Tracy, its a poor mans scan-gauge. Has a larger screen and still includes tons of info from your OBDII system. I tried to post a link, but the forums said I was spamming and locked me out for a few hours.

ultra-gauge.com

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 16 Mar 2015 10:21 #4

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Update:

With MPG Remedy in the last few tanks we are seeing a jump from 27.5 (winter gas) to 33.4 city mpg; and on a 460 mile trip this weekend with lots of headwind I saw 50 mpg.

Its time to groove this thing. Just need to find the pcv hose on this thing and i'll be good to groove. Working on this on is a little different as there is no printed material for a service manual.

Ken

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 16 Mar 2015 18:07 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
wow, Ken you hit the big 5-0!! :woohoo: that's excellent, and it's still pre-Groove.... B)

Later I'll tell details of my little tweak to the MPGR deal, my Subie really seems to like it this way...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 19 Mar 2015 16:42 #6

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I am hoping to hit 55 or better yet 60 after the groove and some magnets on the fuel line. Need to get some junk TB's though as I haven't grooved anything in months and don't want to go in cold to a brand new TB for this honda. I'm doing this motor in stages, one upgrade at a time to see the difference with each step.

Has anyone had more success with these small 1.8 liter engines and a pro groove on the top side as well? I'd have to go see Dan in MO for this, but was simply curious if it helps these smaller engines. There is a lot of potential for this engine I think, as at highway speeds it just needs a little bit more and she'd hold 60 mpg on most roads.

Ken

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 19 Mar 2015 17:34 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
hi Ken, I don't have any experience w/ the Honda's. Practice on used/junk TB's a good idea.

now that it's springtime the MPGR seems to have greater effect in the Subie, tho no MPG #'s at the moment. Mixing it in a closed jar then heating in a water hot bath made aspirin crystals dissolve well, and gave a violet color to the resulting fluid, and this batch, well Subie just loves it!

Happy Grooving! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 20 Mar 2015 10:34 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652

KGB_Oklahoma wrote: And i've read a lot of folks on the 9th gen. civic forums that love the throttle body spacers for power. That gives me lots of hope right there.

Does anyone have experience with this engine? Would regapping plugs do anything for such a small engine? Each plug has its own coil so it would be a gradual process. And if anyone does have experience with this engine would it benefit from a top groove as well?

If Reynolds Number has anything to do with the results of the groove (I believe it does), the Throttle spacer comments on that forum show the intake isn't properly tuned for the engine's maximum potential. So I would say Yes, you should have high hopes.

I thought double groove, top and bottom, had become the accepted norm but if you're more cautious, who am I to suggest otherwise? As far as process, why not re-gap before groove? Mr Hatton showed improvement on a lawnmower, and there are others who have shown improvement on generators, etc...similar small engines. I'd also be sure to feather the throttle plate while you're in there grooving.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 20 Mar 2015 11:49 #9

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I have thought about the top groove, but unless i can reach it from the other side I don't have the correct bit needed. The throttle plate is pretty thin, i'm not sure there is room to feather it like the GM plates can be.

I was thinking about the plugs, maybe regap them 10-15% over stock to see how she does at first. Finally did get some technical information on the engine, i'll post as I print them off since there is not a printable book for this year model.

I will let you all know how it goes.

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 20 Mar 2015 11:58 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Coil on Plug is efficient energy transfer; my guess is you can go 30-40% over stock gap (if not more) as the voltage is stepped up AT the plug rather than before and subject to transmission losses.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 20 Mar 2015 21:31 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Torquemaster plugs, all stainless, might be an option. Extreme Spark – spark plugs ,auto parts is the source, I spoke w/ Danny when I got mine. Should last a LONG time, you don't gap 'em. I think they should work well for COP ignition, would be my opinion.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2012 LX Honda Civic 1.8 Liter 06 Apr 2015 20:37 #12

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Update:

Went to 30% Hydrogen Peroxide food grade, keeping everclear 190 proof with aspirin ground with mortar and pestle for 12 hours before adding peroxide. Try to add the peroxide within an hour of filling up the tank, and i'm adding 2 small eye droppers full.

Last tank of city driving, both my wife and I over 2-1/2 weeks with ECO button OFF. 425.1 miles and the tank wouldn't tank more than 11 gallons. This car loves premium with the mpg hooch (as my wife calls it), but 38.6 mpg is nothing to sneeze at. EPA estimate for this car in the city is 28, thats a 10 mpg increase with nothing but the remedy.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

If I wasn't in the last 5 weeks of the semester I'd be driving up to see Dan for a top groove on this baby after I put in the lower groove.

Time needs to be my friend.

Ken