Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1996 Toyota Previa supercharged Groove and other mods

1996 Toyota Previa supercharged Groove and other mods 27 Jan 2016 17:15 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I just got off the phone with Alex, a cool dude who's coming to Reno next week to get his 96 Toyota Previa van Grooved. I'm buying a used TB on ebay for this van, I will have it here, and done ready to go before Alex gets here. If the weather is OK, and all goes as planned, then I will be posting on this in detail next week. There will be epoxy work in the IAC channel to do, to back fill for the Groove, as well as control IAC air some. This one, at least Toyota directed IAC air to the throttle shaft area, so that's a plus. I'm wondering about the fact that it's Supercharged, and how that will affect things.

Alex and I spoke about doing a PCV re-route and plug re-gap, I'm also going to give info on the MPG Remedy and other stuff as well. So, this is a Coming Attraction for the Forum! More to come...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1996 Toyota Previa supercharged Groove and other mods 05 Feb 2016 23:41 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
OK now this 96 supercharged Toyota Previa is Grooved, and back down the road. I got a reman. TB from Ebay, and Grooved it before Alex came to town. The Groove itself came out very good, a good full depth Groove. The bit fits pretty tight too, only a little side play when seated in the Groove. I did a lot of Epoxy work, to back fill possible breakthroughs, and control the IAC circuit. There actually were no breakthroughs, though I think it came close in spots.

Once Alex got here yesterday, I set to work on it. First, I re-gapped the spark plugs from 0.044" thousandths up to 0.052" thousandths. Then I swapped out the original TB for the Grooved one. The ECU went thru the normal battery disconnect, and then a re-learn drive sequence. I did not touch the PCV system on this vehicle. IT's a really different animal....

To get to the spark plugs requires removing the passenger seat entirely, then pulling back carpet, and removing an access hatch in the floor. Then a cover comes off the engine and the plugs are right there.
So far, so good. Replacing the TB, though.....was an ordeal. You raise the front hood, and it's visible down there on the right side, under the intake duct, and a maze of pipes and hoses, EVERY step of working on it, was difficult. Bad angles, cramped space, just basically No Fun. By far the hardest TB Ive seen yet to R/R. You really can't see the whole engine, and there are some different things about it. Like, it has two air inlet ducts, one to the TB from the air filter box and MAF. And another one heading back into Can't-see-it-land, that when the engine is revved, you can see the supercharger clutch engage, and hear an air whoosh sound in it. I won't even try to describe what is going on with the various tubes and hoses, some of it is Deviant.

The owner, Alex, is going to have some other issues looked at by a Mechanic he knows. But this Groove job Worked. I drove it before swapping TB's, and drove it on the re-learn sequence. Decent boost in off-idle torque, it has a really nice deeper exhaust note now. Oh, and- did I mention, the tailpipe now has

NO SMELL!!! :woohoo: :evil: Alex had had the cat. converter and both O2 sensors replaced recently, and I noticed some converter smell yesterday before the install. This tailpipe reminds me of the one in Ron's driveway 4 yrs ago, just hot moist air, that's it!! A BIG indicator of success, both a power boost and clean exhaust.

I was amazed at how much power is in this Toyota van. With the Supercharger, I opened the throttle to about 3/4 open on the relearn drive, and it just goes Hyperspace!

Worth in the end for the torture session :pinch: :S :ohmy: :angry: :P ;) :cheer: :woohoo:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: add pics

1996 Toyota Previa supercharged Groove and other mods 05 Mar 2016 20:22 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder