Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved By Mail

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved By Mail 06 Aug 2016 18:50 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
This was a throttle body I Grooved a month ago for a nice guy named Dick Frase, in upstate New York. Dick's 2010 Honda Accord is a Drive By Wire TB. It was very straightforward to Groove this TB, as the important telltale black carbon stain was present to mark throttle idle position. To be safe, I used a small piece of paper on the non-Groove side to wedge the plate slightly open past natural idle.

It's a Large bit Groove, but as usual my photos aren't the best! I sent along my extensive instructions and tips w/ this TB when I sent it back to him. Dick followed them exactly, and soon after re-installing the TB, plus the ECU re-learn, he called me.

to say Dick was pleased would be an understatement! :cheer: He was thrilled with the increased power and throttle response. I don't remember the exact numbers, but he said the MPG had improved substantially, according to the onboard readout. I could tell that Dick has been studying online here about the famous Gadgetman Groove, from his pertinent Q/A. Dick, I believe you are a Gadgetman, without your bits! ;)

I asked Dick to join here with us in the Forum, and report his findings, and just say Hello! :) So when you see this post, please feel free, Dick!! As it happens, I think Dick lives about in between Karl in Long Island, and Greg in Canada....(hint hint)...

Ron Hatton wanted us to be a Family, and co-operation and meeting of minds can yield a lot!

OK, here are my sub-par pics...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: Subject details

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 16 Aug 2016 19:37 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Just the one Groove on Dick's TB, Tracy??

Hey Dick - any chance you can chime in here with your evaluation of the results? If you're in Upstate NY, we're just a few short groovy hours apart.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 17 Aug 2016 02:23 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yup, just the one, that's all it took! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 14 Sep 2016 19:28 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Dick called and left a message on my phone, I heard it last night. He said the Groove mod is working well on his Honda, but he didn't give details. Dick was mostly speaking about Ron, and new developments.

I really hope Dick will drop by here and tell us more of his story re: his Honda! ;) :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 14 Sep 2016 19:47 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Dick, please check in and add your firsthand two cents worth!!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 14 Sep 2016 20:25 #6

• Gadgetman2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am so pleased with those of you who keep applying this tech. You are pioneers!

Just a little word to the wise: if you've been applying the tech, but not participating except as a witness to what others are doing, you are missing out on the greatest value of all: The love of Family.

'When Wave-Form Technology' is released in the Spring (or soon after) Those who have shown ALL the characteristics will be given first shot at the tech.

And there won't be many. Not because there are too few of quality-God knows!-but it is due to the availability of the tech. I'll be investing almost a thousand dollars just to produce the first re-manned throttles, and the growth must be fed according to the demands of the market.

I WILL say to you all: "If you don't get at LEAST 33% better MPG's, then you should hang up your Gadgetman tool kit, 'cause you didn't do something right!

AND you will receive all the other benefits of running Groovy...

So, to you one and all, I will close with two items worthy of this board.
  1. I am so proud of you, one and all. Even the guys that just hang around, reading what other people are doing. You all have made The Gadgetman Groove great!
  2. Keep your eyes and ears open. I'm looking for someone, preferably another Gadgetman like us, that would be available to invest something like $100K to $250K in this amazing technology. I can tell you they will be very pleased with the ROI. VERY pleased!

So, let's go forward and get the second generation up and running.

The world will be grateful.
(even if the car companies and Big Oil HATE us!)

Ron Hatton
Gadgetman

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 10 Oct 2016 18:47 #7

• FraseR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello All, Here's my report on my 2010 Honda Accord.

K&N Air Filter. I have used K&N air filters on my cars for the last 15 years. Its low resistance and reusable feature make it a solid investment in performance and economy.

Throttle Body Spacer. Before I learned about grooving I installed a throttle body spacer which gave some added low-end torque and power, and some better mileage, maybe +1-2 mpg.

Re-route Vacuum. I wanted to cut my own groove, but no bits were available, so I hooked up with Tracy and he did a fine job on grooving my TB. But before I did the grooving, I first went for the low hanging fruit. I found the PCV valve, disconnected the hose and plugged it. I then ran a new vacuum hose from the PCV valve, across the intake manifold and up to the existing vacuum hose coming off of the camshaft cover.

This existing vacuum hose fed into the air intake hose running from the air cleaner and the TB. Re-routing the vacuum hose like this had the effect of increasing the vacuum in the intake manifold, which promotes better vaporization of the fuel.

Over-gap Spark Plugs. Next step was to install new iridium spark plugs that were over-gapped to about .075 in.

Gettin' Grooved. My modifications on the 2010 Honda started about 30 months ago with the TB spacer. Three months ago I finally found Tracy out in Reno and shipped him my TB to get grooved. He has already posted some photos of his work, but I captured a few more before I installed it back on my car.

I followed his instructions about re-training the engine computer to the letter. One week after installing the grooved TB I took two back to back 1,400-mile trips. Needless to say, I watched the mileage.

Results. My car is rated at 21 city, 31 hiway, 26 overall with an average user getting 23.9. I think that's low, but that 's the stats I found online. I am consistently realizing 28-29 city, 37-39 hiway, and 31-33 overall, for an over improvement of +38% city, 25% hiway, and 26% overall. I have included photos of my GPS readouts of a couple of long distance runs for confirmation of hiway mileage. Both show 38 mpg.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by FraseR.

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 10 Oct 2016 20:32 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Awesome results! Welcome to the family, Dick!!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: FraseR

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 10 Oct 2016 23:48 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Welcome to the Gadgetman forum, Dick!! :) :cheer: ;)

And thanks for the great pics too! We LOVE good pics here. I'm gratified to see the readouts of your Garmin device, that tells a story.

You did it all the right way. Did your homework, did some key Per-groove Preps. And followed my directions, AND came back to tell your story. I'm Stoked to see this! :woohoo:

To me, at least, your experience is significant. Because yours is a 2010 Honda, and it's Drive By wire. It's shown me that quite respectable results are obtainable on a car like this.

Dick's example here serves to go a long ways to dispell the boogy-Man that has lurked re: late model Honda's, DBW TB's, and newer OBDII systems. IT certainly bolsters my confidence all right!!

Dick, I Think you are a Gadgetman lacking bits and training. Though you self-trained here some already.

I'm waiting to see the results of my recent bit order. Cross your fingers that they come in per specs! If this works out as planned, you could join in as a Gadgetman...! :woohoo:

and, BTW, let's keep Ron in our thoughts now, he's supposed to undergo medical treatment today. I hope to speak to him in a few days. :)

thanks again, Dick, and Congrats on a fine result! :lol:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: FraseR

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 11 Oct 2016 21:48 #10

• FraseR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here are some additional photos.

2010 Honda Accord DBW TB Grooved 05 Nov 2016 14:24 #11

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Thank you for the photos and report, I have been holding back on grooving my wifes 2016 accord. Still only has 9k miles on it and I have yet to see a black mark in the throttle body for me to use. But i'm using Merricks gas treatment, synthetic oil, over gapped plugs and only 100% gas. Currently we see 44 on the hwy and 33 in town, if we can add 15% to that i'll be happy with the groove.

Ken

• Page: