Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 29 Nov 2018 16:34 #1

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Hey everyone! I am helping a friend and taking on a project that involves a 2001 honda insight hybrid 3 cylinder. My friend drives almost 2 hrs one way to work and I was able to get ahold of him recently to tell him about the groove. His was more than willing to try it out and see if we can boost his mileage up. At his best cruising behind semi trucks, he was able to achieve up to 62 mpg! I told him i would do my best to get him in the 70+ range! Here is some pictures of the tiny tb that is about as wide as a small redbull energy drink can. The car has coil on plug so you know we are going to have fun with spark plug gaps too! And wont forget the pcv mod! Wish me luck.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 30 Nov 2018 22:35 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Claudio looks to me like this Tb has a huge IAC channel on the left side. Looks like that channel enters around the wall on the middle left on both sides, and on the side the Groove should go. I know what I'd do about that channel, but it's hard to write it all out. Try looking in the Service bulletins and other tech sections on the site for ideas, if ya want.

IF ya need help, just post! This car sounds like a good one to get super MPG's on!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 30 Nov 2018 23:02 #3

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
While I have no access to the channel any more, I've put up a number of service bulletins on YouTube about this very configuration.

Please go to YouTube and search for "GroovyServiBulletins" and filter it by channels. You'll see it. Then, start browsing the vids for one showing this type of throttle and follow the instructions as detailed.

I just bought a new camera and recorded the process on a Toyota TB that was similar, but the camera glitched and I lost the important segments. As I don't get one of this type but about every six months or so, it might be a while until I can do it again.

So, RECORD THIS STUFF WHEN YOU'RE DOING IT! That way, everyone who ever sees it can see how to handle it.

I love you guys. You are the TRUE innovators!

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 01 Dec 2018 10:33 #4

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
I will do my best to document the whole thing and I have the service bulletins saved on my youtube channel. I will take my time since my friend provided a tb from the junkyard and its not having to deal with a car down. I am going in fearless and hopeful! Thanks for everyone's support!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 01 Dec 2018 21:59 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again Claudio. IF you do as Ron says, you can find examples of the method ron and I speak of. but, just in case it can help, i'll try to describe it in outline form.

Refer to the first pic. Toy see those two areas either side of the raised full depth center bore wall? Those two areas where the wall of the bore is cut down, provide a huge flow path for the Idle Air Control air to enter. We know that some IAC's stay open longer or more open than absolutely needed to support idle RPM's. Like the stock PCV system, this "extra air" from the open IAC valve, acts to rob manifold vacuum- and acts as if it was a vacuum leak. The goal here- is to use JB epoxy or similar, to fill in the low spots behind the cuts in the bore wall. IT's important to do this- not only to reduce airflow thru the IAC valve into the main bore. But also to replicate a full bore wall as much as possible. "cause those notches in the throttle bore, will disturb the waveform the Groove will generate. Your Groove, will be immediately upstream from these bore notches. It's therefore good to fill those notches, like constructing two "dams", and giving one or two "air spillways" for IAC airflow. The "spillway(s) you want to be as close to the throttle shaft as possible- as far away from the Groove centerline as can be done.

To make the dams to fill those notches get a toilet paper center tube or similar. Cut it down so that you can place it in the bore up against those notches on the left. Open the plate, and have the plate hold it inn place. When it fits well, it will be the form to backfill the low areas with epoxy. "This tube will give shape of the bore, to put the epoxy against. When the paper tube fits OK, remove it and use a 1/8" drill bit or etc. to rough up the aluminum in the low areas, to give the epoxy a better grip. Get some clear box tape, and tape over the side of the tube facing the bore wall and notches. JB Weld won't stick to clear box tape..

Look in Service Bulletins, look at anything re: IAC mods. I've posted w/ pics on several examples, but they are scattered in various Groove reports. I Think I would fill the top notch fully, up to the TB mounting surface, make it flush with the bottom of the casting, and extending back about halfway to the rear, towards the IAC itself. The lower notch i'd backfill flush to the casting edge, and extend the fill to or close to where that square well is.

IT would likely help, to make another cardboard taped form, inside that square well that leads to the IAC itself. This to make a walled off area to fill in for both notches. JB will want to flow at first, especially in large amounts as it will take to fill these areas. So having the cardboard forms gives control of it. However far back from the main bore you go w/ the epoxy, be sure to slightly overfill above the casting flat surface. Then when it's all set up, you can sand it flat after removing the "forms". You want to have a uniform flat surface for the TB mounting gasket to seal against, otherwise, air will leak into the main bore.

The last step after sanding flush the setup epoxy- will be to cut one or two channels in the epoxy leading to the outboard edge of the throttle shaft. The top notch has a good side contour that leads right to the shaft end. The bottom notch is kinda weird with that rounded shape. So I'd cut the top channel "spillway" along the curved edge of the notch, in the epoxy, with a small drill bit, to connect the square IAC port to the end of the throttle shaft. Make the channel about 1/8" wide. A little wider if you don't cut one at the lower side.

Be sure also, Claudio, to pull the IAC and get it and the whole well it's in totally clean! VERY important.

I hope this makes sense- it's awkward to write all that I see in this TB. After doing this kinda thing maybe 2 dozen times, it's second nature to me.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenneth Smith, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 02 Dec 2018 12:43 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
And there's always this document to review as well for further insight:
Library
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 02 Dec 2018 21:27 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks Greg! I'll remember to use the Library for examples in the future. A picture is worth a Thousand words...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 03 Dec 2018 11:16 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
You're most welcome, everyone. But please, DO look around and do some digging into this forum and the website in general for answers, especially if you're new to the family - chances are we've been there, done that and you can learn from what we have posted. This is why Ron is adamant about videos - show the world what you're doing as you do it, if possible: while written descriptions are great for those following along, not everyone speak-a eeenglish so good (or read it for that matter), but a picture, especially one that moves, can be understood by anyone if they have an inkling of what's going on. If you've a smartphone/tablet made in the past decade, you have the capability in your pocket/hand. you might need a tripod or 3rd hand for the phone while you work, and it would be best to start/stop for each phase rather than one long continuous video (you'll thank me when uploading). You don't even have to appear in it, other than your hands.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 06 Dec 2018 11:35 #9

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
SO, I showed my friend the bulletins and pictures of the re-route of the iacv path way. This PICKLE (my friend) wants to first start with groove,pcv mod,gap plugs first and see his results. Now i have showed and explained to him to get the max benefit I would have to route and limit the iacv path way but he does not mind taking it off again and let me do that to his his tb later. With that being said, I told him that whatever he wants to do and I will go with it even though the proof is in the pudding. This a picture of the grooved tb....

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 07 Dec 2018 16:10 #10

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Day 1 update: AFter install,pcv mod,spark plug gap 20% wider and re learn he achieved 75mpg! This was at a steady throttle 61 mph flat road and has never came close to that number before. Tomorrow he goes back to work and his long commute and will update me on more results. 57.1 MPG was is old over all .Hopefully I can convince him to get on video with his happy results. Here is a picture of the information cluster.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee

Last edit: by CLAUDIO CORDOVA.

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 08 Dec 2018 03:23 #11

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
looks just a bit higher than 75 to me...AWESOME!! a 32% improvement, just from what the car is telling us. Is this the manual transmission version?
(what if he drives faster???) now he won't fight you on the IAC re-route, I'll bet...and that'll get him some mileage gains too. (fuel saved at idle makes for more miles out of the tank)
The best way to verify this is to keep a mileage and fuel log, either analog (with pen and paper,) or digital (I have an app on my iphone called Gas Manager)

Have you discussed treating the powertrain with RVS with him? maybe switching (if he hasn't already) to synthetic lubricants? what about increasing tire pressure? could he switch to resistorless spark plugs? Does the car run on 87 or higher octane? (the higher octane stuff is more expensive, but he might find, over time, his mileage goes goes up still more with a change in fuelling)
He could also add an EFIE to the o2 sensor. Does the car have a MAP sensor?

Great job!!!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

PROJECT 2001 HONDA INSIGHT 11 Dec 2018 11:50 #12

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Greg I have not talked to him about the rvs treatment yet but I know he has been running mobil 1 full synthetic religiously. The honda is a manual transmission and I have not asks about which octane of fuel hes using. I will get more info as soon I can and hopefully get him close to 80 mpg! Thanks to all gadgetmen for the support.