Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2016 KIA SPORTAGE

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 23 Dec 2018 19:08 #1

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 70
SUV has 63K miles and runs great.
Did the plug gaps from 44 spec to 50 and capped off intake hose from PCV.
Did the groove with no IAC since it looks like partially opened butterfly is what gives engine air at idle as seen in pic 1.
Ran post grooved about 700 miles and didn't see a difference so I disconnected battery, turned on headlights, heat blowers on high
and stepped on brake for a minute with all the rest for a minute to bleed out any charge left in system.
Ran another 200 miles. No smell in exhaust but I failed to smell exhaust pre groove so I cant make a proper comparison.

No change in gas mileage or torque that I noticed. Did I do something wrong?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron Hatton.

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 23 Dec 2018 20:16 #2

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
HI kman, I was wondering which bit you used on the kia. It looks like a medium bit but I am looking at the pictures through my phone. Also have you done the ecu conditioning after the battery disconnect? I am just trying to see the whole picture before I can say I can help with any ideas. It took me a couple gas tank fulls after my conditioning to see some results. I hope all of us can help one way or another. Have a happy holidays in the mean time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, kman

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 28 Dec 2018 21:53 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Kman- did you notice any change in power anywhere, off idle, higher RPM's, whatever?

I agree w/ Claudio, that looks like a Med. bit Groove, even a bit like it was done w/ a full ball cutter. Could be just camera angle though. The flat Groove floor doesn't look right to me.

W/ more details from ya, maybe we can help better.B)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, kman

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 29 Dec 2018 16:40 #4

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
First, I didn't see the PCV mentioned. Also, if you are NOT "Driving it like you STOLE it!" you're not telling the ECU that it needs to adapt to the new fuel capabilities.

Karl, which training manual are you using? I can send you the latest revision (Sept 2018) if you shoot me an email.

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Last edit: by Ron Hatton.

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 06 Jan 2019 21:05 #5

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Claudio/Tracy,
It was the large bit. Not round bit since the scores on the butterfly show the Groove design.
No other conditioning after that since the brain drain was used in the past forums if read correctly supposedly to drain ECU of memory.
Read that draining without the long course of stopping and starting was enough.
As far as power change, I dont gun it to really notice a difference and it did have plenty of power when needed but havent noticed extra power.
Bought it used so I have only had it for 8 months now and never thought of taking a drag on the tail pipe before but its clean now that I have.
Have gapped plugs from 44 to 50 and now again to 52 and added RVS and have about 1k on it since doing both. Intake man vac is capped over 3k miles ago.
Will update if I see difference in MPG but for now there seems to be no change. The torque I cant tell a difference but I do rarely gun it but have more in the last
1k miles since its supposedly good to have the ECU rewrite itself with different pedal treatment.

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 07 Jan 2019 10:56 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
why didn't a full width groove get cut along the bore of the TB, from one side of the axle to the other?? You're missing a good inch or so of grooviness...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: kman

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 15 Jan 2019 11:09 #7

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Thank you received: 127
I agree with Gregk. I would lengthen the groove and check the dept. I have to a couple of re grooves because of those specific reasons. Then do a relearn and make sure get some highway accelerations from 55 to 65,65 to 75 at wide open throttle. I noticed in my Acura Mdx that it really benefited during that part of the re-learn. I hope that helps and i hope you keep us informed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, kman

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 29 Jan 2019 23:47 #8

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Re-grooved deeper this time.
Before grooving the first time I did a test on 0-60 and did it in about 13 seconds.
Didn't try this after the first groove but noticed a little more power after the second groove so tested again and did the 0-60 in about 10 seconds this time.
Do notice more power from dead stop. Haven't noticed MPG gains yet but did the power dump to relearn the CPU. Will know in a week or two.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 30 Jan 2019 00:04 #9

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
If you're noticing you're pulling away from a stop with more power, that's low end torque you've opened up, unless you're REALLY putting your foot in it...and it means you're headed in the right direction with a deeper, wider groove.
(I notice the same thing on mine, and I don't feel I'm being particularly aggressive. It's just I seem to pull away from the car behind me faster than I expect without more effort.)
Good Job.
Now that we've talked about the groove, did you do the PCV stuff? how about opening up the spark plug gaps? If you like the improvements so far, you should really try going a bit further...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: kman

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 30 Jan 2019 00:15 #10

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg,
No PVC on this throttle and so glad there isn't for the fact of more parts to give problems and dealing with the reroute on it.
The plate is slightly open on close, thats an oxymoron, so I guess its the manufactures way of an IAC. You can see the open plate on the first post pic.
Did the plug gaps from 44 to 52 already and RVC in the crankcase.

Last edit: by kman.

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 30 Jan 2019 10:47 #11

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
PCV is generally in the valve (or rocker) cover, with a hose to the intake manifold, the breather is a hose from the intake before the TB to the same valve cover to bring fresh air in to replace what engine vacuum gets rid of. all you need to do with the re-route is disconnect the hose on the manifold and cap the port, and then T that hose into the breather line.

RVS in the crank is a great thing to do! and upgapping the plugs...you can probably go wider. keep at it!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2016 KIA SPORTAGE 30 Jan 2019 11:34 #12

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

kman wrote: Greg,
No PVC on this throttle and so glad there isn't for the fact of more parts to give problems and dealing with the reroute on it.
The plate is slightly open on close, thats an oxymoron, so I guess its the manufactures way of an IAC. You can see the open plate on the first post pic.

Karl, you have a computer-controlled throttle. When you turn the key on, it alters the plate position. This has nothing to do with the PCV (NOT "PVC". That's a kind of plastic) as it is located elsewhere.

Look it up on YouTube if you can't locate it. That's what I do.

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1