Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 08 Jul 2019 19:47 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I'm confused - first you say you were considering installing an EFIE but had concerns about it being "dangerous", and now you say it's been done and set to 130 mV.
whose EFIE did you install, as in who made it? Is the installation is correct? have you had someone else who is knowledgable about these things check your work? we all make mistakes sometimes, right?
and you've also increased your spark gap...you're really motivated to save fuel, it seems, but have had poor results so far, which brings you here.

how's the truck running with the grooved TB on it? did you follow The Hatton's instructions about the procedure to re-teach the computer/throttle? did you repeat them after disconnecting the battery to install the EFIE?

I know these are quite a few questions, but we really can't answer yours as to why your mileage dropped until we're fully aware of what's been done (and not done, or half done) to your truck.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 08 Jul 2019 20:22 #14

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
The Honda is a 1995 Accord 2.2 L VTEC
The Toyota is a 2.4 L 2RZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 08 Jul 2019 20:32 #15

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

GregK wrote: I'm confused - first you say you were considering installing an EFIE but had concerns about it being "dangerous", and now you say it's been done and set to 130 mV.
whose EFIE did you install, as in who made it? Is the installation is correct? have you had someone else who is knowledgable about these things check your work? we all make mistakes sometimes, right?
and you've also increased your spark gap...you're really motivated to save fuel, it seems, but have had poor results so far, which brings you here.

how's the truck running with the grooved TB on it? did you follow The Hatton's instructions about the procedure to re-teach the computer/throttle? did you repeat them after disconnecting the battery to install the EFIE?

I know these are quite a few questions, but we really can't answer yours as to why your mileage dropped until we're fully aware of what's been done (and not done, or half done) to your truck.

I never said anything about being dangerous?? Ohhhh, you are referring to my joke about thinking could be dangerous!!
FuelSaver-MPG, Dual EFIE Deluxe, it will do two O2 sensors if needed.
Yes, installation is correct and no one needs to check my work but yes, we all make mistakes. But I haven't made mistakes on 4 vehicles???
I have increased my spark gap but haven't done a new mpg run yet.
Like I said before, I have done 4 vehicles now and NONE have had any gains??

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 08 Jul 2019 20:35 #16

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

GregK wrote: I'm confused - first you say you were considering installing an EFIE but had concerns about it being "dangerous", and now you say it's been done and set to 130 mV.

Truck runs good, as it always has. Yes, I followed his instructions on all 4 vehicles with no change and usually a major negative change??
Yes, all has been repeated after installing the EFIE.

Last edit: by Ron Kanna.

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 01:38 #17

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I can’t comment on that EFIE device, as I’m only familiar with the one from eagle research. Have you contacted the manufacturer for advice/consultation? Eagle research has a good video on calibration for theirs, and your offset voltage is less than half of where Eagle suggests as a starting point - have you tried increasing yours to 300, 350mV?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 01:41 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Do you find yourself accelerating from a stop faster than others, post groove?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 13:34 #19

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

GregK wrote: I can’t comment on that EFIE device, as I’m only familiar with the one from eagle research. Have you contacted the manufacturer for advice/consultation? Eagle research has a good video on calibration for theirs, and your offset voltage is less than half of where Eagle suggests as a starting point - have you tried increasing yours to 300, 350mV?

I also have George's EFIE unit, they all work the same. BUT if you set it to 300mV without any other enhancements you are leaning out the mixture WAY TO FAR and thus you end up melting your catalytic converter!!
Besides, if the groove is doing what it is supposed to be doing then mpg's should increase without any other modifications and then those added modifications should only be icing on the cake by further increasing mpg beyond what the groove already is doing!!??

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 13:35 #20

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

GregK wrote: Do you find yourself accelerating from a stop faster than others, post groove?

Not really, the groove is supposed you increase mpg and a by product is possibly an increase in power performance.

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 13:39 #21

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

GregK wrote: Do you find yourself accelerating from a stop faster than others, post groove?

Greg, seems like you and I are the only ones talking here. Have you done any groove modifications on any vehicles? If so, what were they and what were the results?

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 14:39 #22

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Right. Rather surprised The Hatton hasn’t jumped in here...have you called him?

I’ve grooved my dad’s mower (easier starts and longer runtimes, and no black smoke out the exhaust any more), my own Buick Rendezvous (see my thread for my gains), a 4.6L f-150 (power increase, dryer vent tailpipe smell, unknown -can’t remember!- mileage increase), and a Nissan Titan (similar results to yours).
I’ve put the EFIE only on mine - exhaust temps seem to have dropped to a lukewarm dryer vent rather than hairdryer on high. I’m less worried now about melting my catalytic, because less fuel means less heat, or so it seems.

For you: try creeping up the offset voltage on your EFIE. A few days of testing shouldn’t do any significant damage to your catalytic. The groove mixes air and fuel better - that’s the power increase from a more consistent air-fuel charge in the cylinders. Tricking the computer into sending less fuel will lean out, as you know. But with the groove, bigger spark gaps and EFIE, you might also need to address the MAP sensor- this will change the timing, and what the sensors see. I’m big on ECU “cheats” because while I’m certain the groove works, along with bigger sparks (you could also close those up to see if you get some mileage back from your loss), I’m certain that the ranges/tolerances it’s used to seeing are ever tighter to get you back into the stealership/garage more often: a little nudging on our part can’t hurt, especially if it saves not just fuel but parts costs/shop labour.

If you think I’m blowing smoke, call Ron Hatton. He might agree at least in part with me, but I’m really the only one testing this method in conjunction with the Groove. There’s a guy in Arizona who is trying these things BEFORE grooving his pickup, but he hasn’t gotten to this point yet. Please consider joining us in this journey.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: Phrasing/clarity

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 09 Jul 2019 22:27 #23

• kman
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 70
Not really, the groove is supposed you increase mpg and a by product is possibly an increase in power performance.

Ron,
Speaking from experience I have not gained MPG on the two vehicles I tried the groove on but for various reasons.
The Ford Ranger had 270k miles and over 5 vac leaks that I found and probably more that I didnt find. It was a problem vehicle and stubborn for
results but I did get a boost in 1st thru 3rd gear where the jump from the pedal was noticeable but lagged in 4th like I was towing a trailer.
Something was wrong that I never found but the torque increase in the first 3 gears and the clean exhaust was noticeable.
One thing I did was change the 02 sensors and that also increased the torque. Hidden problems that mute any benefits the groove should give you.
My second vehicle supposedly has an interior design in the manifold that breaks up the grooves wave pattern thus muting any MPG gain.
But again I do have more power and a clean exhaust which both are results of the groove.
If you are having problems, there must be a hidden ghost that must be found.
I would start by an overall check of basic maintenance that must be done anyway between MAF, 02's, etc. and maybe a smoke test to check for vac leaks.
I had a major vac leak on my Ranger in a place nobody would think of, my oil dip stick! Had a smoke test done by a mechanic and saw major smoke emanating from the oil tube.
What surprised me was that the mechanic said that was normal but my better logic told me different.
Had a leak from a loose seal from the stick not seating tight and once I capped the oil tube with a rubber plug, the vac leak was gone!
Who would look there for a vac leak??? :huh:
If it wasn't for the smoke test, I never would have found it.
So dont give up and keep learning from guys on here who are willing to help you get positive results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

Please! Need help on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 15 Jul 2019 13:55 #24

• Ron Kanna
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

CLAUDIO CORDOVA wrote: Keep us informed on any changes or progresses. In the Honda accord, is it the 4cyl or v6? I might be able to help more in that brand. Also what is the engine in the Tacoma also?

Honda is 2.2L VTEC, Tacoma is 2.4L 2RZ, both are 4cyl.