Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Initial experience with installing a Groove 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder

Initial experience with installing a Groove 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder 26 Aug 2019 12:14 #1

• Damon Rockwell
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey Gadgetman-land
Just cut my first throttle body groove this last weekend.
Go here to see a 6:42 minute vid of my experience and some early results.

\

Thanks for all the help and clues. No real snags in my experience due to the education I received from Ron and your inputs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd Gilbertson, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Damon Rockwell.

Initial experience with installing a Groove 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder 26 Aug 2019 12:29 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Damon -
it seems I need permission from the video owner to view that, so you must have it set as a private video.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damon Rockwell

Initial experience with installing a Groove 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder 26 Aug 2019 12:56 #3

• Damon Rockwell
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks GregK
See if it works for you now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

Initial experience with installing a Groove 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder 26 Aug 2019 17:04 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Indeed it does work now. awesome video! a 20% gain right off the hop is nothing to sneer at in a car with over 100k miles. (think of all the fuel/money you didn't realize you wasted!!)
Very Happy that you didn't get any engine codes on your re-learn drive. Did you have a puddle of water at the tailpipe while it was coming up to temperature at the first start?

it can go higher than 36 MPG: (Now it's all about eliminating all the tiny parasitic stuff that drags your car down - how are your wheel bearings, for instance? brakes dragging a bit maybe? an MPG or two here or there can really add up.)

1 - Cap that PCV. seriously. if that doesn't get you at least another 2-3 MPG, I'll eat my favourite trucker hat. (make sure what the factory intended to come out of the crankcase goes back into the intake). Bonus points in terms of mileage if you go through a full vacuum check, and find and fix any leaks. hoses/o-rings/gaskets break down over 10 years of heat cycling, remember.
2 - I've taken to cleaning my MAF sensor at each air filter change, which I do every 2nd oil change. Even though things are supposed to burn off the filament wires as they come up to temperature, they still get patinated, especially if you live in a humid environment like me. (replacing the air filter is always a good idea - you know how you feel when you're all stuffed up and struggle to breathe, right?)
3 - open up your spark plug gap

I don't know if you run synthetic oil or have the intention of joining Ron's Snake Oil club, but one/both of those will help the engine be more efficient, especially after the 10 years of carbon start clearing out of things.
try a few more pounds of air pressure in your tires too - lower rolling resistance.

Crossing my fingers for a 40+ MPG report in the near future.
Good work, congrats and welcome to the club.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Damon Rockwell

Last edit: by GregK.
  • Page: