• Page:

TOPIC: 2002 Volvo V-70-Groove Placement problems SOLVED

2002 Volvo V-70-Groove Placement problems SOLVED 28 Jan 2012 19:32 #1

• mcleodm02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey,

I did a 2002 Volvo v70 yesterday.

When you start it up the car revs a little high and it stalls at red lights and when it is corning sometimes.

Not sure what is up with it but I could use some help. Maybe a vacuum leak?

Thank, Matt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: Volvo problems 28 Jan 2012 20:09 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Matt,

Can you give a summary of the steps you took, ie: what was done on the throttle body, what hoses were moved, what was capped, etc. Give us a better idea of what to zero down on.

Never hurts to check all your vacuum lines and double-check the throttle body for any small break that may have occurred. Know that one first hand :)

Best way to check that is take the TB and a flashlight and go into a closet, really dark in there, flashlight on the inside of the TB, you will see any breaks in the wall.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: Volvo problems 28 Jan 2012 20:51 #3

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did you forget to connect the electric plug to tb?
As i did, and when i started it was reving a bit mutch,
oh the v70 has no wire right it is electrcaly controlled plate,

Last edit: by mob.

Re: Volvo problems 28 Jan 2012 21:04 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
One thing I would check is your egr system if the vaccum all checks ok. The egr may be sticking or the vaccum to it is not hooked properly. Dan Gadgetman Mo.

Re: Volvo problems 29 Jan 2012 16:35 #5

• mcleodm02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate the help.

As mod pointed out the v70 has an electronic throttle. And I used the wrong spacing (a piece of paper rather than a business card) so the groove was far to close to the butterfly. So i filled it back in with jb weld and got the correct spacing. And now is working great.

Just to add to the "corporate knowledge" I thought I should mention that if you are doing a early 2002 v70 and you make the mistake I did the symptoms will be as follows. Cruise control will go out, shuddering in the transmission while driving, stalling at red lights, reving very high, car putting itself in "limp mode", and sometimes the car giving itself throttle without warning.

Once again thanks for you guys help!

-Matt

Re: Volvo problems 29 Jan 2012 18:02 #6

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
super

Re: Volvo problems 29 Jan 2012 19:47 #7

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Something to consider for future mods, with the electronic throttle, you can read the throttle position using a OBD II scanner while it is running to find the idle position.

When you remove the TB to do the Groove, plug in the scanner and TB, turn the ignition to the ON position and set the throttle plate to the idle position while reading the scanner.

I had to do that with the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche because of the venturi design in the TB. I had to use strips of transparency sheet to block it in place.

Good catch. Always good to put the info up here on the forum, someone is bound to say something to trigger an "Ah-ha" moment. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

Re: Volvo problems 30 Jan 2012 15:47 #8

• mcleodm02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The OBD2 scanner is a good idea! I will defiantly start doing that. A lot more precise!

Thanks!

Re: Volvo problems 30 Jan 2012 16:55 #9

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You just earned One Karma, Matt! This is because you failed AND went through it, AND shared the experience with others AND you followed up with those here in need of that knowledge.

SCORE ONE FOR MATT!

Way to GO!

Ron

• Page: