Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008

Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 29 Jan 2012 08:51 #1

• power-center
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello everybody again!
I found a leak under the throttle position sensor gasket with my smoke tester, which I made by myself. The smoke was blowing out really well. But I wonder, as it is placed before the groove, what do you think, guys, can it be the reason of non geting results in economy?
Anyways, yeah.. I know that vacuum leak is a LEAK! And its' size doesn't matter... But still, what is your opininon?

Here is the video:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by power-center.

Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 29 Jan 2012 09:29 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If the smoke is getting out via the TPS gasket then air is getting back in and if your piping the gas into the intake,ie: manifold, TB and plenum, then it is probably getting there by way of the Throttle Plate rod.

That being the case it could very easily disrupt the effects of the Groove.

With the air drawing in from the side of the TB at that point it could very easily wash out the effects of the bubble.

First thing I would try is sealing that gasket. If that doesn't work, you might need a rebuild kit or it may be as simple as replacing an O-ring.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 29 Jan 2012 13:05 #3

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It might effect the Groove and it might not. We are mainly concerned about the vacuum on the underside of the plate. If air is leaking in where air is flowing past from the air filter than it doesn't matter. It just may be the way the throttle body is built. So, I think, you need to evaluate the situation a bit more before you go rebuilding the throttle body. When the engine is running does this place where the smoke comes out suck air in? If it does it's a vacuum leak. If it doesn't it's probably fine the way it is. Power-center feel free to call me if you need help over the phone. Nick 607.590.0391

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 29 Jan 2012 20:18 #4

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
You mentioned having made a smoke tester, and after looking at the video, it looked like the engine was running. Could you fill us in on how you made the smoke tester and was the engine running?

Lots of wisdom from lots of "Groovers" - This is VERY encouraging. The Groove does work, it just takes patience and DO THE MODS.

Scott
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 30 Jan 2012 07:34 #5

• power-center
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello !
Yes, I will shoot he video of the tester I've made and share with you here a little bit later.

I use it only on the turned off engines

Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 30 Jan 2012 16:31 #6

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here is a drawing I made that will show the "Visual Thinkers" to see how a leak at this location CAN cause a leak that will negatively affect The Groove.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 30 Jan 2012 20:56 #7

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Good visual. :)

Now, my perception is that any leaks that would flow on the top side of the throttle plate I would consider harmless.

Coming in under the throttle plate could have a variable effect on the groove.

One example is the TB for my 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, the TB design is such that intake air is blocked until the throttle plate reaches an angle that opens the top edge of the throttle plate allowing air in from the backside. If the shaft has a leak coming in from the side, under the throttle plate, depending on the severity of the leak, it could actually act negatively on the effects of the groove.

One could perceive that the air being drawn in would come straight down the venturi wall but air is no different than water in that respect. The air being drawn in is due to a vacuum so the air would come straight in and as the effects of the air flow in the TB and the source of the vacuum draw the air down it will follow that flow.

In the case of my TB there is no intake air on the backside to neutralize a leak like that so the effects would be greater than a TB that is open on that side normally.

So it's not so much a "big" concern as to whether or not there is a leak there but if you are having problems, "Could this be part of the cause for the problem that you are having?"

It's all something to keep in the toolbox when troubleshooting, I think. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 31 Jan 2012 00:44 #8

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hia i would fix that leak . I dont know the exact effect but the air flow meter would give a wrong reading to computer in this case it reminds me of the tape covering some resistors in air flow meter to make computer think less air is comming in and thus less fuel being injected. The air flow meter is incharge of 80percent of fuel delivery and oxigen sensor 20. Maybe som jbepoxi or cut a milkcarton to make a gasget and then check with smoke to make sure its not leaking from anywhare else . If you have more power i guess the groove is working best wishes to all from sweden

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.7 2008 31 Jan 2012 04:02 #9

• Scott Castleberg
  • Thank you received: 12
Thanks a million!

FYI for anyone interested. This mornings temp was 0 deg.

Scott Castleberg
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

• Page: