Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2000 5.3 Vortec MPG

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 05 May 2012 01:45 #13

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

If the TB follows the design that I have seen on several years/models of GM the venturi wall follows the arc of the throttle plate so you have to take that into consideration when determining the bit angle.

On the 07 TB there are a couple of recessed spots on the outside that will need to be filled with JB-Qwik. I think I have the pic's posted on my thread about the vehicle.

As far as where to put the Groove, use your scanner to get the throttle plate idle position, usually 'TP%' or 'TPS%' depending on the scanner.

Get all your pre-groove readings while you have the scanner plugged in. Engine up to temp and all.

After you remove the TB, plug it back in, turn the key to the'on' position and manually position the throttle plate to get the same reading on the scanner.

There really is not enough of a gap to put a business card in to set the plate position by hand.

What I did was position the plate and use a bit to score the venturi wall to give me a line to work with. If you are going to use the old method of using the throttle plate as a guide, add a couple of degrees of angle before marking the wall.

If you are going to use the new angle of 22.5-30 degrees of angle on the bit then it will take care of itself.

I don't know if anyone has applied the new angle to a GM TB of this type yet, if Ron has a suggestion on which to use I would definitely go with his recommendation.

The PCV line... move off the manifold, if the 06 is the same as the 07, there should be a secondary line coming off the other side going directly to the intake plenum that it can be 'T'd into.

Lastly, make sure the bit goes to full depth (Lubricate), ie: the shank on the bit should be what is stopping the bit from going any farther(Lubricate). That will insure the shape of the bit applied correctly.(Lubricate)

Take your time, being in a hurry to do these does not necessarily get it done right the first time.

Almost forgot, resetting the ecu - use the standard method... both leads together... key on.

Hope that all makes sense :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 05 May 2012 11:40 #14

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
On these Vortecs with the angled wall I always use a cylindrical metal cutting bit to take out the angle. If you don't do that, your bit will not go very deep and you won't get much of a Groove.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 05 May 2012 16:28 #15

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Not sure what you mean there Nick.

Are you removing the material where the groove would go so that it is straight and not following the arc?

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 16 May 2012 16:23 #16

• Vortec 5.3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
*** Added 1 bottle Techron additive (both downstream O2's were stuck in .9 voltage signal (no switching). Signals are alternating .1v to .8v now. (noticed varying signal switching on 2nd and 3rd day).

5-16-12. Test run:

28 mi. @ 40-50mph.
40 mi. @ 75mph.. Eng C temp 196.8 FT's 00. to + 4.7
25 mi. @ 80mph.. Eng C temp 197.6 FT's -3.1 to +2.3

Gal. 5.44
Overall mpg 17.09
Water/alcohol

This engine has been in cleaning mode since the groove and enhancer. I've been watching for signs of excessive heating (valves cats) but everything seems ok.
.......................................................................................

5-17-12. Testing after receiving stable downstream O2 signals. *TECHRON cleansed
Now at(.1 to .8 ) volt switching downstream O2's.

Miles 141 .. 60-65 mph (25 city).
Gal. 6.523
MPG 21.65

***Misting ( T structure allows less back pressure).
Fuel additive (.50 cents)
water/alcohol/Fa @ 30/20/50

Last edit: by Vortec 5.3.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 31 May 2012 13:47 #17

• Vortec 5.3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The latest test involved bypassing the inline air baffle obstruction. One can expect an audible airflow transformation akin to a young lions roar when stepping it up while maintaining a gentle throatiness during tamed driving. Took the 5.3 Vortec for a 75 mph run that (current indication) results in better fuel trims than last speed run.

Info:
75mph..FT's 00. to + 4.7 (70/30 wat.alc mix) 5-16-12.

75mph..FT's -2.3 to +3.1 *air baffle bypass 5-28-12.
*Inline oil catch

Have a great day. :)

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 01 Jun 2012 13:12 #18

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys!

I ill be repeating this message until we start getting our performance and mileage gains in the new section on the Groovy Forums started to centralize these reports.

This is all about making it easier for our visitors to find out what they want to know... "What can I expect from The Gadgetman Groove on my vehicle?"

So, if you get mileage or performance gains, please please PLEASE make an additional post there in a manner that makes sense for the casual observer. In other words, Year, Make, Model, Engine size as the Topic, then detail what you got in the message!

Thanks for all your posts. You guys are the GREATEST and I am proud to call many of you "Friend".

Ron

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 09 Jul 2012 17:58 #19

• Vortec 5.3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This was on post #1 and rendered inaccurate when adding hhhn.

E89 Octane - Worse mileage. - 3-6% loss below manufacturer suggested mpg.
87 Octane - Good mileage 8-12% above manufacturer suggested mpg.

Experiment w/HHHN:

E89 Octane w/hhhn 17mpg hwy. (temps 3-3.5 lower than 87 octane)
87 Octane w/hhhn no mpg change. (temps 3-3.5f higher)

Negative resetting ECM experience:
*Experienced bad mpg (15.3 hwy)... Tried resetting (three times overnight) by clamping pos/neg bat cables together which did not reset ECM.

Positive resetting ECM experience:
**Pulled and reinserted the ENG1 (10amp) and ECMB (20amp) fuses in conjunction with normal + and - battery resetting procedures has reset my ECM. Not known if it was one or the other or a combination of both fuses that helped reset the ECM appropriately.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 10 Jul 2012 02:39 #20

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
how many amps were you running on hhhn max 4 i prefer 2 or less youll see an increase. We are consistantly seeing results with the proper settings. If you were higher amps cut it down watch the fuel trims. Good luck dan gadgetman mo.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 10 Jul 2012 02:50 #21

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Don, replacing the ECM fuses, hmmm...has me thinking. The other day a freind asked me to replace several fuses and relays on her '89 Nissan Maxima. Her car started running better soon thereafter. She believed the fuses/relays were worn or bad, though no fuse was blown. I've always taken fuses for granted, but after how her Maxima did and now your post, I'm thinking there may well be something here. Perhaps age results in oxidation of the metal, hence resistance, hence??

Anyhow Thank You for this, Don! Does anyone else have any input here??

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 10 Jul 2012 03:01 #22

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes, Tracy sometimes the power doesnt discharge fully which leaves the ecu somewhat in mid term.
I believe Don is working on a car doing several fuel tricks and the ecu is confused.
Now with his true reset he should see better results.
Ive had a couple that Ive pulled fuses just to hurry things along but usually the discharge will work. If we eliminate the long term fuel trims the ecu has nothing to reset back to.
My sons suburban is avg 19.2 its a 5.3 4x4 started with 14.4 Ive done away with its ltft so itll have nothing to look back at. Dan gadgetman mo.

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 10 Jul 2012 14:05 #23

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
While I do so love the mind of the inventor, Don has indeed been trying other things along with The Groove.

Sometimes, the ECU appears to get confused when there are too many things going on at once and refuses to cooperate. While I can't say for certain the other things (being such a broad term) caused its failure, I can say I have known it to happen, resulting in the frustration such as must have been happening to Don.

You guys are really AMAZING!!!!

Ron

2000 5.3 Vortec MPG 11 Jul 2012 18:13 #24

• Vortec 5.3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Dan… I concur with your findings of low amperage usage… Currently I am adjusting the flow based on mpg readings since I do not have an amp meter on the system -I adjust the setting when driving the flats to maximize effectiveness. Had I known, I wouldn't have spent the money for the 40 amp pwm but it is obvious the satisfactory zone is easily around 10-15% dial strength.

Hi Tracy… It's not the first time I heard of that either; I recently had a conversation with a friend who mentioned (someone) gaining 5mpg (vehicle unknown) by replacing their fuses with an upgrade, which I am unaware of the type of metallic being used.

Hi Ron… You’re definitely right on that. Ha I love it! Got to test to be successful though. To date, their are no negative results from doing the Groove/Vacuum changeover despite what others are stating. I’ve also reached my goal increasing performance, mpg’s, lessen the gumming in engine and boost the potency of winter blends –come the time.

Deduction of fuel potency: (Depending on load)
22-23 mpg on the first 100 miles (23.34 personal best)
19-20 mpg over 200 miles (20.75 personal best)
17-19 mpg over full tank. (19.07 personal best)

Other tests in conjunction with the groove:
ECM over-controlling factor try's to stabilize 15.5 mpg.

Have a great day all!