Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2006 Silverado 1500, 4.3 liter Vortec V-6

2006 Silverado 1500, 4.3 liter Vortec V-6 11 Jul 2012 01:14 #1

• jbyrtus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have the Personal License, and I am getting ready to groove my truck. The training manual instructs me ask if anyone has advice on this model before I grab my tools. This is my first Groove, and any advice toward this model would be appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jbyrtus. Reason: accuracy. since I'm not a visitor

Re: 2006 Silverado 1500, 4.3 liter Vortec V-6 11 Jul 2012 04:23 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Jbyrtus, welcome to the forum!! I have no experience w/this engine orTB. I advise you take some pics of this throttle body and post 'em here. Others may know of this one. Look to the documents section of the site. Go to GroovyServicebulletins and look through there too. If this is the first time you have attempted to Groove ANYTHING, stop. Get ahold of some used TB and practice on it First. See if you can get one cheap (Pick-n-Pull junkyard, check around w/ freinds, shops in your area, even Ebay). That's how I did it. The more you put into learning about the Groove, how it works, then doing it a few times to get the feel of doing it the better your results on your truck shall be.

This is a freindly forum and bunch!:) We support each other and learn from each other's experiences! I've found that this whole deal is a process of learning, not just one destination. Karl Fortner has posted some great info/pics about Grooving his '07 Chevy Avalanche, which I think may be a little similar to your Vortec.

So again, Welcome! Be adventurous, but be Informed is my advice. Tell us what you have in the way of tools/supplies to get started with. The more we understand your situation the better the advice can be!;)

Thanks, TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbyrtus

Re: 2006 Silverado 1500, 4.3 liter Vortec V-6 11 Jul 2012 15:05 #3

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
With this engine, you can look forward to a very straightforward modification. As a computer-controlled GM throttle, the first thing I need to tell you is about "The Gadgetman Plop". This is an event that occurs at engine shut-down and is peculiar to GM Trucks.

The Groove is always pressurized. When the engine shuts down, because of the engineering of the TB, The Groove releases the air on the engine side of the throttle plate, forcing the plate completely closed in a split second. The result is akin to slapping the end of an empty paper towel roll or the end of a hose.

Doesn't hurt a thing, but it's there!

Other than that, just find the natural idle position by spotting the stain (looking at the filter side) and lock it into position with a business card. Then, cut the groove!

About half the time, the casting is thin and you may wind up cutting through the side wall. Have some JB Kwik handy and build up as soon as you find out whether it's going to cut through. It's a LOT easier to build it up than it is to fill it in!

No matter what, your engine is going to LOVE the mod!

Re: 2006 Silverado 1500, 4.3 liter Vortec V-6 12 Jul 2012 03:02 #4

• jbyrtus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the advice from you both. I have downloaded and read quite a bit on the site, and noticed the recommendation about using a scanner to record engine and throttle data. So I got the Cen-Tech with the ability to see the 0xygen sensors. What parameters should I record before I do the removal? And yes, I will find a junk carb to practice on before I begin. Great advice. When I do begin, I will post the data here, if that helps, and of course photos.

Re: 2006 Silverado 1500, 4.3 liter Vortec V-6 12 Jul 2012 03:23 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes, you need to check load at idle and steady 2200 rpms also look and write down the fuel trims at same rpms.
Some scanners show load others will read the map and mass air flow. This will get you started.
Happy Grooving, this vehicle mpg normally gets 16 to 18 mpg if two wheel drive.Id expect

around 21 mpg after groove if no vac leaks and engine is in good shape.

Dan gadgetman mo.

• Page: