Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 09 Mar 2013 11:37 #1

• RogerJohnson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have got my bits and studied my manual. Now the big ?? I have not got a vacuume pump, extender for my dremel or any resonable way to check emisions. I'll be driving it 150 miles tonight and 150 tomarrow. Do I or don't I. Your thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RogerJohnson.

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 09 Mar 2013 11:44 #2

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Roger,

You should be fine. It may be a bit tricky using the dremel without a shaft depending on how handy you are. You don't have to have a vacuum gauge or emissions tester to do a mod.

Also look into the service bulletin on how to reduce the idle air control on the TBI's. You don't have to do it, but my '95 Suburban showed no response until I did.

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 10 Mar 2013 13:00 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Roger,

Just take your time, let the bit do the work.

This is where you learn to have more patience than you thought you had . :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 10 Mar 2013 13:34 #4

• Mark Bachelder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I used the redneck gas-analyzer to check emissions on my Honda CR-V: I sniffed the tailpipe. Recommended in the manual!

Get a good sense of the smell before your mod, with the engine fully warmed up. And do the same after. Ron says to do this after your first run-in drive when you are re-setting the ECU.

My Honda exhaust is very clean smelling. Unfortunately, I did not get a good baseline on this. And it's pre-mod smog test last year was extremely clean.

I look forward to your results. I friend of mine has a Dodge 318 van with TBI's and is eager to do a mod on his.

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 11 Mar 2013 00:01 #5

• RogerJohnson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Nick, I got the groove installed the PVC blocked, (there is a pre TBI vent coming from the other rockerarm cover)and mechanical idle drilled out and turned up since I blocked most of the idle bypass making the groove. Also I caused the ECU to reset to defaults. The exhaust smells wounderful better. The only downside is a couple weeks ago I had replaced the radiator because it was leaking between the header and the core. It was holding until I tested my new found power. The head gasket was nearly dead before I pushed it. Once I get the head gaskets replaced and radiator repaired I will be able to get my first MPG check. That 350 has 0ver 236,000 miles on it. Maybe I should have chose a newer one for my first. All well, I'm still stoked to get it going and see if it is as good as it seems.

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 11 Mar 2013 09:08 #6

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You are going to be VERY pleased once you get these repairs made.

While some of these in the Suburban class (as Nick will tell you) have a real difficult time in giving up mileage. It is my position there are some issues with the climate control system among others, but stick with it and you will find success at the end of your labors.

Already, you are creating less pollution, and THAT, my friend, is a GOOD THING!

Ron

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 12 Mar 2013 19:17 #7

• deshear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
i love the burb'e--i have a87 ,bought it is my 8th one--had to groove it 2 times but i now have it right!! study the GT vids then it gets easier--good luck!!

1992 Suburban-Throtle Body Injection-Today or Latter 12 Mar 2013 23:41 #8

• Mark Bachelder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It's great to hear about your success with the Suburban. Can you tell us more about what results you got - like mileage, power. cooler exhaust manifold, lower emissions?

• Page: