• Page:

TOPIC: 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 11 Jul 2013 22:21 #1

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Just got done grooving a '2001' Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic
It went fairly easy I thought, considering I was working in a rainstorm.

I left the idle air port of the T.B. untouched as it was not interfering with the groove side.
Also the throttle plate had a 'scoop' attached to it (opposite the groove location) should that have been taken off or modified? See pics.

The vehicle had a check engine light prior to the groove. The customer did not recall what it was but said it wasn't anything important. I made it clear that any error codes must be looked into in order to expect better fuel economy. So that's to be determined.
Of course after re-conditiong the ECU, the engine light went off but, quickly came back on during the driving portions.

I'm wondering if the ECU should be re-conditioned since the vehicle could not be started without the gas pedal being applied, likely due to working through a rainstorm and on a vehicle that had been sitting for a while.

Anyways, the exhaust was extremely clean, no smell at all, just hot air!
The customer said the response was "snappier" so I'm confident the groove was done well.

The bit was locked in the groove really well I thought.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JV. Reason: additional info.

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 12 Jul 2013 00:20 #2

• Rino Stoof
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi JV

That's looking good!

I'm really interested in the 'shield' bit.
A little while ago I suggested doing something like pictured below. The idea is that it will seal the vacuum in at the top of the butterfly, exactly where your shield is.
Is it shaped nice and round so it seals the top until you put your foot all the way down?
If so, the groove should work really well as all the intake air has to go through it (the groove) when cruising.

Ron thinks its a good idea, we'll just have to make very sure it can never come off as it will obviously end up in the valves.
A couple of small bolt through the plate with the nuts put on after molding the metal putty while still flexible will permanently hold it there.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 12 Jul 2013 18:28 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey JV looks good to me, I think the scoop on the low pressure side of the plate is forcing air thru Groove side until "foot in the throttle" and should help Groove function better. It's also a restrictor, and speeds up airflow.

Thinkin' out loud, might make a metal flashing gasket w/ restrictor hole over IAC port?

The code needs checked into of course. IF that was Med. bit might of built up inside of IAC inlet to allow a large Groove"?

Your clean exhaust results and snappy throttle response show a good job the car likes!

It's good that the Groove holds the bit like that!

the extra stuff is extra work of course, and in the rain, you want done quickly! IF ya see customer and car again to check out code you could add a flashing gasket as experiment, don't think a re-learn would be necessary.

Sounds like a job well done, but I'd want to know 'bout code at least for best results. :)

Happy Grooving,
Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: forgot a compliment

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 12 Jul 2013 21:00 #4

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

Rino Stoof wrote: Hi JV

That's looking good!

I'm really interested in the 'shield' bit. ...Is it shaped nice and round so it seals the top until you put your foot all the way down? ...

Yes, It's very similar to your drawing.

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 12 Jul 2013 21:24 #5

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

TracyG wrote: ... Thinkin' out loud, might make a metal flashing gasket w/ restrictor hole over IAC port?

Yea, that sounds like an idea worth trying, especially if there's no positive economy results after solving the error codes.

... IF that was Med. bit might of built up inside of IAC inlet to allow a large Groove"?

I used the Largest of the 3 bits from the Personal/Extended License kit. I was suspecting that it would break through so I first built up the thin wall above the Idle Air solenoid chamber. I forgot to mention that earlier, sorry.

Unfortunately all the vehicles I grooved so far have had error codes that have not been addressed, so I can't claim any great results in economy yet, however, in every case the pollution was massively reduced and the vehicles ran better!

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 13 Jul 2013 22:32 #6

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
JV did you do the idle air adjustment for this gm motor that Ron shows off in the service bulletins. This thing will idle with a 1/8" hole, a lot smaller than that monster of an idle intake it has.

Don't let the metal cutting get in the way of trying a roll of it for the idle air adjustments. You can cut the stuff with child safety scissors. Get you a pack of 10 or so for 5 bucks at your local store and you'll have enough to cut tons of gaskets.

Groove looks great man, fantastic pictures and explanations of where the pvc is.

Ken

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 14 Jul 2013 06:21 #7

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
No, I was thinking it wasn't necessary since I was told it doesn't really matter what happens prior to the groove, however, I think I'll offer to do it anyways next time I get back to the vehicle.
I'm assuming the video you're referring to is:

Bulletin: Cutting Vortec Gaskets

In that video Ron makes a custom gasket from aluminum flashing.
The gasket is cut to intentionally block off all but a small amount of the Idle Air chamber by drilling a small hole thru the gasket.

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3Ltr 4x4 LS Automatic 15 Jul 2013 01:34 #8

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
I believe the gasket could really help, especially if the vehicle ever idles in traffic. It doesn't take all that long and could really help the efficiency of the groove.

Ken

• Page: