Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1992 GMC 350 v-8

1992 GMC 350 v-8 17 Nov 2013 13:47 #1

• shale
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wondering if anyone knows what might be my problem.

Until recently I thought I had a 350 V8 gmc throttle body. Now it seems that it may be a 305 V8 gmc witha throttle body carb etc. Ron did the Mod through the mail and it actually got slightly less mileage after installing it.
I checked all the vauum lines etc. Could it need an effie? What about the catalytic converter? When it goes bad will I still have to replace it? If it's bad could this be the problem?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's eating gas and all of my money.

Also, if I were to experience increased mileage it would mean that more power is being extracted per volume of gasoline. In this case there is likely to be an experienced power gain. Will this unduly stress the automatic trasmission and burn it up early etc.

I really want to get an increase mileage so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shale

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1992 GMC 350 v-8 17 Nov 2013 14:58 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
tbi throttle body injection is what you have, and yes you can use effie or get rons map adj to cut the fuel back. No it wont hurt the trans. Most of these show increase your o2s Good? When were they changes last. Yes we must have a good cat converter and o2s they are the fuel controllers if not working properly it will use more fuel. Dan

1992 GMC 350 v-8 19 Nov 2013 12:29 #3

• shale
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks,

when cat goes it rattles for a while before it goes out?...yeah?...

O2s (four of em) to... to be replaced? whoa...I'm a uhbroka...a....

so Just doing the groove is the first step in a host of things?...eh?...

Shouldn't I have experienced at least a 30-100% increase?

Why might this be?...

Hey...I'm needing a credibility check here. Hey Ron man...I loved you when I met ya and wish that you are truly a man of your word and are true to what it is you are doing and what it is that you are doing with me. My heart is a little heavy with the possibility of You being a scam. I have no way of telling at this point. Do you have a resource of information that will give me the overview of the process or list of the host of things that need to happen before it will work?... so I can make a decision whether or not I want to continue? I already feel taken and I'm wishing to be done either with this and/or the van...ha...ha... it's eating me and I can't get anywhere...haw...haw...Youch!!! Not too many people lookin... Precise descriptions will be appreciated... and send money...!!!

1992 GMC 350 v-8 19 Nov 2013 17:13 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Not always will you hear the cat rattle, if the cat doesnt fire up the o2s will get a false reading, remember the o2s are the fuel controllers. If the o2s are slow or not working they wont let you gain mpg. The groove does work, it wont make worn out parts good so if you expect that your`e on the wrong path. Many times I have had people wanting the groove, but they need a good engine and parts for the process to work effectively. I don`t do the groove unless they get repairs first or I repair for them. Most of the gadgetmen are mechanics or strongly mechanically inclined and these are the ones that have the succes stories. A scanner is a very good tool as it helps us diagnose the obd2s yours being obd1 parts change trial and error. I`ve been working on cars for 45 years and I specialize in fuel economy and fuel chemistry and yes the groove does work on most vehicles,some show mileage gains some smoother shifting,more power and low end torque and better emission readings. Dan

1992 GMC 350 v-8 20 Nov 2013 19:43 #5

• ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Shale,

What we are talking about is considered routine maintenance. All things made by man have lifespans. The 02's have a service interval of around 50K. When they are old, they cease to respond appropriately enough and the ECU will cease using them as a valid reference point to re-map the fuel trims.

One of the weaknesses of the small block chevs is in the design of the intake manifold. The gasket there is paper. Paper burns at 450, gasoline at a minimum of 500. Fel-Pro makes a very nice aluminum one for replacement.

Can't be helped, my friend!

Go to to get a head-start.

Now, if something's broken, you really should just bite the bullet and fix it!

Ron

1992 GMC 350 v-8 21 Nov 2013 12:03 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Shale, how many miles on this Chevy?

The Groove is a worthwhile mod but the engine and computer input sensors must be in worthwhile condition as a baseline. So take stock of what ya have there. There are lots of knowledgeable folks here who are able to give proper advice to help.

Any muffler shop ought to be able to let you know about condition of converters. Take it to a few to confirm what they say...

Ron and Dan are absolutely right w/ what they say--and study info in the link Ron provided. This site is a goldmine of info to use.

Cheers and good luck! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1992 GMC 350 v-8 21 Nov 2013 19:47 #7

• shale
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks, It's got around 160k. I'm sure it's going to need everything cat, O2s, metal base plate gasket etc. I got the message. Thanks for the encouragements. Once the )2s are replaced will it need effies?...then what? Just trying to get an overview here.
thanks, Shale

1992 GMC 350 v-8 21 Nov 2013 20:11 #8

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
you got it, o2s first then see what you get most will show mpg improvement with the groove.Effies are my last resort ,the next step would be a vaporizer then add hhhn Im getting 26mpg on a 1997 ford 4x4 f150 v6 groove and vaporizer then with hhhn ive gotten up to 43mpg Do you see the possibilities? Remember a vacuum leak on carb model is lean on fuel injection is rich as ecu will command add fuel. Keep thinking.

1992 GMC 350 v-8 21 Nov 2013 23:12 #9

• shale
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok so it's the money that I'm hurtin with. But that's not the issue here.

So the vaporizer is what just a bubbler?...and the hhhn as you put it is what hho?, hoho? water hydrolizer? Yeah I'd lvoe to get 46. Don't worry I know there's no guarantees about actuality but drastic increase would be good.

I believe my engine has 4 o2s. Does it take a rocket scientist to replace them? the cat is obviously hired out in my case. The gasket I can do. I'm just making conversation trying to ellicit anything that might be of use. Thanks for everything... Mostly the curiosity is the bubler and the hhn as you put it. What's unique about the hhn unit that makes it? Ok...Much thanks again...

Shale

1992 GMC 350 v-8 22 Nov 2013 00:34 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Shale,
the HHHN is also called Merrick's Gas do a search for that. Dan here is the one to thank for that...(shameless plug for Dan follows)

We have some BIG minds on here, Dan is one for sure (along w/ Ron of course!) Merrick's Gas (hhhn) is his baby I believe. do a good search you shall see...Moreco Energy isn't it Dan? We are fortunate to have Dan and Ron around to help us...

On your Chevy, IT's about basic stuff/maintenance first. Plenty to focus on to get the stage set. Exotics can follow if needed, But I bet if ya get the basics ironed out, Ron's Groove job will start to shine forth. gotta play Whack-a-Mole ahwhile! :lol:

One thing at a time. Maybe do cheap things first, like TB base gasket and intake manifold gaskets. Get fanatical on posibble manifold vac. leaks- ANYthing exposed to manifold vac. Be studious and methodical buddy, you WILL get there! We're here to help ya!

Basics can be surprising when ya get 'em right. Heck I've a ton of mods to my Subie for years--then I just finally did a Weber carb swap, and Shazam holy power band Batman! I'll get more when I soon Groove it too.

Glad yer' here Shale, and remember pic's of whatever you're working or stuck on give everyone a chance to add their minds amd eyes too!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1992 GMC 350 v-8 22 Nov 2013 04:58 #11

• ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I must remind all here that to move from the basics before completing them WILL generate problems.

You MUST get the vac system taken care of. But one should check it to be sure. I have covered this in several other places here, but will once again for those who haven't found the posts.

In the small-block chevy's, all you need do is to get yourself a 1/2" and a 9/16" box end wrench (one of the two will work) and tighten the intake manifold bolts from front to rear, paying attention to put the same amount of force on each bolt.

Should the central bolts require more turning to hit the same torque, your gasket is bad.

No IF's, ANDS, or BUT's about it.

And the gasket set (the cheapies) only run about $15, so you only have to sacrifice just one trip to Starbucks to have it repaired.

AFTER you do, then you should consider "Dan Merrick's Super Fuel", EFIE's or whatever else you want to experiment. But so long as the engine is in a state of neglect, you're going be building on a shaky foundation.

So, start at Stage One: Make sure the engine is sound.

You are doing great and I am proud to be a part of this.

Ron

• Page: