TOPIC: 2000 Chevy Astrovan

2000 Chevy Astrovan 04 Aug 2018 11:33 #1

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
You are now good to go, Steve!

You can now edit, delete and post as much as you please. Please delete your test posts.

Sorry it took so long, but the site was down due to an alleged ICANN violation. It was just a glitch, but they still shut us down for about 18 hours!

Amazing how these people can exert their power over our worlds without concern for how they damage people.

That's why we do the things we do, though. So there are more GOOD people out there, acting to benefit mankind!

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2000 Chevy Astrovan 04 Aug 2018 17:11 #2

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Ron, how do i changed the title of this post to 2000 chevy astro? I've tried edit, but doesn't do it? Delete and start over? Thanks!

2000 Chevy Astrovan 05 Aug 2018 17:41 #3

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
You can't! I CAN!

So, I did...

(You welcome!)
Ron Hatton

2000 Chevy Astrovan 05 Aug 2018 23:57 #4

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks Ron, so I'll add my story here!

Hi, again I'm new here, found this site online, ordered a throttle body for my 2005 chevy suburban....

Really this all started a few years ago, like with my suburban, trying to improve gas mileage, which has been around 16 L per 100 km, no on board computer display though...

Recent work is as follows like my suburban: new magnaflow stainless y pipe, steel tail pipe and flow master muffler, muffler is much quieter than the magnaflow... oxygen sensors, plugs, wires, cleaned the throttle body with seafoam spray and seafoam tank additive..... plus other regular maintenance, none of this improved the mileage here either.....

So I decided to do some of these things to my astro van as well. Gapped the plugs at 70 thousandths, tried 80, but she hesitated a little, re routed the the pcv valve as suggested on this forum....

The result of doing these two things was an increase in gas consumption... talked to Ron and he said, number 1, there must be a vacuum leak, number 2, valves might be sticking..... so these i would have to address....

I removed the intake plenum, found the gasket was dead, an original, replaced it and the spider injectors, I had these parts, I rechecked all vacuum hoses... replaced all but one (they didn't appear bad, but just in case), installed the round vacuum reservoir, the heater control valve and another control valve, all are plugged into vacuum.. the hose off the control valve goes into the firewall to control heat, and air, not sure how to check inside, or if this valve solves anything... i also found that the plastic pipe that fits onto the throttle body was a little loose, can't get a replacement o ring, so wrapped throttle body with electrical tape, now fits a lot tighter, and hesitation off idle is at a minimum, almost gone.... so this was letting air into the throttle body.... will get some form a gasket or something to help here...

A friend who i told about the gadgetman groove, decided to get licenced since he has three vehicals, so we grooved my vans throttle body.... Did the ECU re learn.

Results are... van runs awesome, smoother, more powerful, quieter, it sounds great, when first started has a slight fuel smell from the exhaust, after warming up it is like a dryer vent... been driving it only a little, been on holidays so not in it as much as normal. Excited to see gas mileage after the next fill.....

I forgot to mention that i also wrapped the stainless Y pipe to the cat with exhaust wrap. Thats probably why its quieter!

2000 Chevy Astrovan 09 Aug 2018 20:09 #5

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks Ron, so here is my story, I found this site online, ordered a throttle body for my 2005 chevy suburban....

Really this all started a few years ago, like with my suburban, trying to improve gas mileage, which has been around 16 L per 100 km, no on board computer display though...

Recent work is as follows like my suburban: new magnaflow stainless y pipe, steel tail pipe and flow master muffler, muffler is much quieter than the magnaflow... oxygen sensors, plugs, wires, cleaned the throttle body with seafoam spray and seafoam tank additive..... plus other regular maintenance, none of this improved the mileage here either.....

So I decided to do some of these things to my astro van as well. Gapped the plugs at 70 thousandths, tried 80, but she hesitated a little, re routed the the pcv valve as suggested on this forum....

The result of doing these two things was an increase in gas consumption... talked to Ron and he said, number 1, there must be a vacuum leak, number 2, valves might be sticking..... so these i would have to address....

I removed the intake plenum, found the gasket was dead, an original, replaced it and the spider injectors, I had these parts, I rechecked all vacuum hoses... replaced all but one (they didn't appear bad, but just in case), installed the round vacuum reservoir, the heater control valve and another control valve, all are plugged into vacuum.. the hose off the control valve goes into the firewall to control heat, and air, not sure how to check inside, or if this valve solves anything... i also found that the plastic pipe that fits onto the throttle body was a little loose, can't get a replacement o ring, so wrapped throttle body with electrical tape, now fits a lot tighter, and hesitation off idle is at a minimum, almost gone.... so this was letting air into the throttle body.... will get some form a gasket or something to help here...

A friend who i told about the gadgetman groove, decided to get licenced since he has three vehicals, so we grooved my vans throttle body.... Did the ECU re learn.

Results are... van runs awesome, smoother, more powerful, quieter, it sounds great, when first started has a slight fuel smell from the exhaust, after warming up it is like a dryer vent... been driving it only a little, been on holidays so not in it as much as normal. Excited to see gas mileage after the next fill.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2000 Chevy Astrovan 11 Aug 2018 22:20 #6

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Here is another update... today I worked on both my vehicals, probably for five hours... can't do that very often, ignores my family and frustrates my wife. Found a leak using a can of carb cleaner, so I fixed it... also drilled that filled in IAC hole on the throttle body, about twice the size now, doesn't loop or stumble at a light anymore, awesome! I'll let you know mileage when i know!

Unfortunately I can't give results from incremental changes like Ron suggests... i just wanted better gas mileage damit, so I basically did the four things all together... Steve

Last edit: by Steve Goosney.

2000 Chevy Astrovan 11 Aug 2018 22:23 #7

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Here is the throttle body now!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ron Hatton. Reason: Insert image

2000 Chevy Astrovan 11 Aug 2018 22:27 #8

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
This was the throttle body after we grooved it! The hole was too small, it looped and stumbled at idle when I sat at a light....

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ron Hatton. Reason: insert image

2000 Chevy Astrovan 12 Aug 2018 09:05 #9

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
I received a text from Steve last night around 10 pm. He's been having REAL high fuel consumption issues since The Groove was installed. He was at 17 or 18 L/100 Km (Canadian) which is RIDICULOUS! But once he actually did the work, and found the leaks I kept TELLING him were there, he dropped his consumption to as low as 11.3 L/100 Km.

That's a savings of over 60%!!!!! And he hasn't capped off the PCV Leak, EITHER!!!! Wait until he DOES!!!

The Gadgetman Groove WORKS, boys and girls.

As I have always advised, vacuum leaks are CRITICAL to correct. You have to be thorough in your search for vacuum leaks! Or the same thing can happen to YOU!

Here's the text message, and I quote...

Hey Ron...
Today I worked on both my vehicles, probably for five hours... Can't do that very often, ignores my family and frustrates my wife,

Started with our Suburban, re attached vacuum hose, then searched for vacuum leaks with a bottle of carb cleaner... Found that I had two. At the very back of the throttle body and the lower cover. Tightened five bolts. I could no longer stall the engine, nor does it affect the idle.

Drove it into town tonight, the on-board display was at 16.9, then 17. Frustrating...

I decided to reset this and let it go through its cycle, thinking maybe it would take too long to realize there was a change... After hitting the reset, the display went to 99.9 L/100 Km. Wouldn't that be scary? It quickly started dropping. Within a block it was at 25.0. By quadra and the pat bay it was around 13. So I decided to take her on the highway...

Used cruise control, by the time I got to Mt. Newton where I turned around it was at 11.3 L/100 Km. It takes a little while to settle down once you reset it... Probably a week or so of driving.

Every time you hit the gas you can raise the numbers. By the time I got home it was at 12.5 L/100 Km...

YAHOO! I found the problem!

You said I needed measurable changes. Well, this all started at 17.7, increasing plug gap only dropped it to 16.8. The only other change at the moment is I installed your Grooved Throttle Body... The PCV is as normal. I'll disconnect that once things settle down... After that, I'll wrap the exhaust!

Found a leak on the van too... Also drilled that filled in hole on the throttle body, about twice the size. Doesn't loop or stumble art a light anymore. Awesome!

I'll let you know when I know more!

Steve
Ron Hatton

• Page: