TOPIC: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Oct 2019 21:28 #85

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Andy,
This does not appear to be a stock throttle body. It seems this is an aftermarket based on my experience.

If you wanted a stock throttle body, I could have seen you get an ORIGINAL, and for a LOT less than you paid.

You know, I may be just tired (because I AM!!!) of people that jump off the reservation without talking to me, regardless of my offer to help if you just call. It's like you think you know better than I, and I've done over 5,000 now.

Cool. Don't call. I may not care enough to answer you anyway.

Nevermind. You guys just go ahead and run with whatever comes to your mind without talking to people with more experience. Maybe I should just change my telephone number because it's like my own family-the family that would not be without my work (or Tracy's!) don't find any potential value in consulting us first.

You go ahead, Andy. But be sure to tell us about your adventure as you go! Just don't expect any more feedback from me until you're finished. Not just YOU, but for everyone else that thinks they know better in a year or less what I am STILL discovering after almost 11 YEARS of experience.

Follow the instructions or don't. That is your choice.

Get on with ya bad selves.

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron Hatton.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Oct 2019 22:17 #86

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
Wow! Sorry Ron! This was supposed to be an OEM TB replacement from Rock Auto. It was $100.

I thought this forum WAS consulting you - and everyone else. I know your time is valuable and didn’t want to waste your time asking about details that are already in the manual. I’m doing my best, Ron. And I’m try to document all my errors as well as successes for others to learn and avoid the mistakes I make.

Not exactly sure how I wandered off the reservation...big lesson learned.

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Oct 2019 23:32 #87

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
Don't take it personally, Andy. I really like and respect you. There's a few things happening at this moment, and I am really considering strongly the value of offering my advice to people that disregard the value of that offering.

I'm ready to take a spoon and take out my left eye, those in my home I believed in have betrayed that trust and those I have sacrificed my entire world to help seem to keep disregarding that sincere offer (from which we ALL benefit) and I have to watch as those folks-my Family- suffer as a result.

It's very frustrating to me. Especially when those I love dismiss my value to them, and the value to me to be of service.

You wasted your money. That's cool, but as everyone that DOES call me before they act will tell you, I save them money. As a result their lives are better, and I get to know that my (sometimes painful) experiences are benefiting others.

The day you (and anyone else out there) start turning to those that truly want to help for advice, you start on a path to humility. And by accepting gifts, you honor The Giver. AND!!! You set yourself more firmly on the more speedy path to success while developing true humility.

And humility will lead you to the even greater appreciation of your blessings.

Don't mind me, Andy.

Just been a rough couple of months...

Ron
Ron Hatton
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 23 Oct 2019 08:36 #88

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I hope things start working out in a better way for you, Ron - coming here to vent off some pressure has been a bit of a regular thing for you lately. If we’re all you’ve got, we’ll find a way to make it better for you if we can.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 23 Oct 2019 08:46 #89

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
My energy was a bit negative, but all the words were true, Andy.

I feel very unappreciated most days as I fight to keep this thing moving forward. After all these years, I am still managing the entire operation on my own. It seems the vast majority haven't bothered to think of how demanding my life is as Gadgetman. Just the business aspect demand over 12 hours-every day.

Now, I am forced to surrender the Groove side to relieve some of the stress, my Beloved Gadgetman Groove.

And as the Snake Oil begins to explode, I'm already planning on surrendering the fulfillment to others who have proven their value through the years.

I appreciate your sympathy, but let me ask you this. How many people could dedicate their entire lives to something that puts you in crosshairs for the ignorant and antagonistic, while maintaining a helpful attitude to all?

And still manage to handle a diminished personal life?

Did you know that I love fishing? And I haven't picked up a fishing pole since I became Gadgetman. My commitment to others and to my Creator is much more important.
Ron Hatton

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 12 Dec 2019 14:28 #90

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Hey Andrew how are things going with the truck?

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 12 Dec 2019 14:45 #91

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I’m back!

Rumors of my untimely demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Been super busy working a lot and with the holidays having a bit of trouble finding time to post. My apologies!

Over the past month + I’ve been able to Snake Oil the fuel, engine oil and coolant. Still have to find time to Snake the transmission. I’m going to have the transmission oil changed and have them add the SO. The stupid tranny is sealed and no easy way to add oil or even check level - no dipstick!

The SO for the differential is going in soon, I ordered a spiffy new differential cover - just waiting on that to swap out and put fresh gear and SO in it.

The SO is pretty amazing. The engine runs quiet and smooth from the get go. I’ve gained almost 10% in MPG’s - 13+ to 14+. Here’s a screen shot of my Car Care gas manager app:

AND - get this! I installed the groove!! Yay! It sure is nice to have that extra boost of power! Upon first start up, the tail pipe looked like a steam gun! Lots of steam and water coming out the back. Pretty sure the ECU is up to it’s tricks, too, though. There is a little bit of black smoke, now when I start it up. It clears after a few seconds of idling. Some exhaust fumes still present when I leave the house. Once I get to my destination the tail pipe smelling like a clothes dryer! There is also a slight sweet smell to it. The MPG’s have gone down on the first 115 miles since the groove install. I think I may still have some leakage from those massive holes I broke through during the grooving process. I’m going to remove it and reinspect my work when I get back home. Otherwise, she gets up and goes!!!

Here’s a screen shot since the groove install:

Also, I have not had the chance to condition the ECU properly after the install. I’ll do that after I reinspect the integrity of the groove....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 12 Dec 2019 15:46 #92

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Thank you received: 127
Great job Andrew! Thanks for finding the time to update us. I really appreciate it. When ever you can come back and let us know how the groove responds after the snake oil too. Keep on brother!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 13 Dec 2019 09:49 #93

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
that black stuff at startup is carbon the steam from complete combustion is cleaning out of the pipes...an awesome sign!
so the groove is on, the snake is helping your engine oil slither, your ignition is upgraded and you still have some unburned fuel in the exhaust. that's injector duration and ignition timing slop; get your EFIEs and MAP enhancer on and that'll tighten things up on the fuel and fire side to the tune of 18-20MPG or more, I expect. You've noticed that you don't need your right foot to be as heavy or aggressive to get and keep the truck moving, yes?
Your initial (pre-modification) mileage numbers were 10-12mpg as I recall, right?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 Dec 2019 23:25 #94

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
That's correct. Pre mods was 11+ mpg. Ignition + intake + exhaust 13++, just shy of 14. After the Snake oil, the mileage went to 14.8, 14.3 and 14.5 for the last 3 fill ups. Then the groove; mpg dropped a bit to 12.3 and 13.3 for this last fill up. I've traveled 300 miles on the groove. At each first start up, the exhaust still smells like......exhaust. When I get to my destination - smells like a clothes dryer, with a slight sweetness about it. It seemed to idle a bit low and almost like it was about to stall, occasionally - but not quite right. I thought maybe one of my JB Kwik patches may have sprung a leak. I was going to remove it to inspect the integrity of all the patches.

So, here's what I've done. I saw Gadgetman Michael's video of the Jet Power Flow follow up
. What a beautiful groove! It's a piece of art! I was inspired. I took the original TB I replaced with the Rock Auto OEM replacement TB I originally grooved (hacked up hatchet job, actually) and grooved it. I tried to correct/avoid all the mistakes I made with the first TB. I think I did a much better job this time. The groove is much more consistent. I anticipated the break through and pre JB Kwik'd the areas I figured I'd breach. Here's the result:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 Dec 2019 23:40 #95

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Immediately after I installed the new and improved groove, I conditioned the ECU by restarting the engine about 20 times. Then took her out to condition it at the various speeds (wide open, of course!). I must say, each time I floored it, then shut it down the next time seemed to gain even MORE power! The idle seems to be more normal. I have only 10 miles on the new groove, the ECU conditioning run....

I'll keep y'all posted.

And, yes, the EFIE will be the next project.... :)

....then the MAP enhancer.......then the bifilar coils.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 18 Dec 2019 11:31 #96

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
That's a pretty Groove, right there. Good job!
let's consider 14.5 MPG as the post-groove result (and ignition/intake mods, and snake oil too, right?), an improvement of about 30-35% is not too shabby at all.
EFIE and MAP go hand-in hand, sir...in fact, I'm of a mind to put the MAP mod just a wee bit ahead of EFIE because in my understanding, it corrects/adjusts base timing and fuel delivery, and EFIE is the "checks and balances" after that.
I can see 16-18 MPG in your not-too-distant future, a 50-70% improvement over "stock"...but I'd like to be wrong on the conservative side!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

Last edit: by GregK.