Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2002 Olds Silhouette "whistles" a tune now.

2002 Olds Silhouette "whistles" a tune now. 07 Dec 2011 04:32 #1

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Well, I added some RTV to 2 vacuum caps and really sealed the large port which fed the pcv and emissions purge valve solenoid. It was very loose. For now I also removed the hose to the purge valve solenoid and capped it off as well - to try it out. Started the engine and can hear the "whistle", especially when the incoming air passes over the groove. My wife will be taking a 200 mile round trip on Friday, so we will see if the mileage increases.

On a sad note, had to put the Snow tires on tonight - dreaming of warmer climates!

Scott Castleberg
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2002 Olds Silhouette "whistles" a tune now. 07 Dec 2011 16:31 #2

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Capping off the purge valve for testing MAY be all right for your personal vehicle. I would not recommend capping it off for a customer as doing so messes with emissions equipment we don't have clearance to alter. Discussion anyone.

2002 Olds Silhouette "whistles" a tune now. 07 Dec 2011 18:58 #3

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Regarding the Evaporative Emissions line...

The way the Evap system works is this: It will apply a slight vacuum throughout operation of the vehicle, and then call for a "Purge" every so often when it pulls the HC's it captured backwards through the canister.

Normally, this doesn't represent that much a detriment to the Gadgetman Groove modification, and it WILL cause a check engine light in most vehicles. It cetainly will for all OBD-II apps.

My recommendation is to keep it connected, although I am ALWAYS interested in RESULTS. So, let it ride for now, and check the mileage later with it connected and report the data here.

Thanks again for all the good work, Scott!

And enjoy all that white stuff! It only comes for about 3 months a year!

Ron

• Page: