• Page:

TOPIC: 2005 Chev Venture

2005 Chev Venture 27 Dec 2011 01:35 #1

• Aaron Knorr
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Folks
I have grooved my 2005 chev venture, the complete process went quite well I would say. I capped pcv line and rerouted it over into intake line just after the mass air flow sensor.I noticed an increase in power and thottle response but no increase in fuel milage so I'm not sure where the problem is. I want to check for vaccum leaks next and if any of you guys out there know anything I should know about I would be happy. I metioned this grooving I have done to a friend of mine, he could be a possible customer.
thanks Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 27 Dec 2011 07:28 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Aaron,

If this has an Idle Air Control, it's opening needs to be reduced to 1/8". Some are built into the TB others are seperate. If the idle air is routed via the base of the TB and opens out near the Groove, you would need to move it as far away from the apex of the groove as possible to optimize the groove.

Also, something Ron has mentioned in the past about regapping the plugs, approx. 20% more than what they are. There is a youtube video addressing that procedure.

You can go to Youtube and search...
GroovyServiBulletins's
or
GadgetmanGlobal
There's lots of information that can help with different situations.

Hope this helps and have a great New Year.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 27 Dec 2011 15:27 #3

• Aaron Knorr
Hi Karl
I do remember the idle air control opening in the throttle body. I had spoke to Ron over phone about it and he told me to not worry about it for now, by the way this is a 3.4 L eng. same as a lot of GM cars as well and this opening this also part of air intake manifold which makes it a more complex or harder opening to modify. I do understand the need to move this opening so the air coming through doesn't get altered from it's path, but untill I get it figured out how change this or anybody else for matter I will keep driving.
Thanks Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 31 Dec 2011 05:23 #4

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Aron!

My first groove was our 2002 Olds Silhouette with 3.4 Liter engine. I too capped off pcv and added rtv to the rubber portion that goes in the top of the intake. I have not messed with the IAC path yet, but like yourself, have not had an increase in mpg. I will hopefully be adding a few HHHN generators to the van soon and need to monitor the fuel trims when I can get the scan tool from work.

As I have time to possibly look into the IAC situation, I'll let you know.

P.S. gas went from 3.33 to 3.49 today - Go Iran!

Scott
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 31 Dec 2011 15:58 #5

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey all!

Be aware! If you cap off that hose, remember it's a "TEE", the other side feeding the evaporative emissions.

Cut the hose on the PCV side and put a cap there.

The same applies to the 3100 series. The 3800 series has the PCV installed at the other end of the valve cover. There, pull the PCV valve and fill with JB or PCV or some other HC-Safe sealant and reinstall.

Great to see all your posts!

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 31 Dec 2011 16:51 #6

• Aaron Knorr
Hi Folks

Just to mention about the last post, I do remember that tee that Ron is talking about I might take pic. uload it and then maybe some of us beginners may benifit from it, as there are a lot of 3100, 3400, 3800 gm engines out there, and maybe that is an under statement. I will try to back as soon as possible.

Thanks Aaron

Take a look at pic. let me know something wrong with setup.
Thanks again Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Aaron Knorr. Reason: Adding a picture.

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 31 Dec 2011 21:34 #7

• Scott Castleberg
Good Job Aaron!

My "cap off" job is similar, except I just removed the rubber elbow to the pcv valve and capped it off there. I also, like I said earlier, removed the "T" going into the aluminum intake and sealed the rubber "barb" better with rtv. Ron did tell me that changing the IAC positioning will improve the groove, but I also need help and wisdom in this "repositioning"

Again, good job!

Scott
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 05 Feb 2012 00:29 #8

• Aaron Knorr
I just checked the fuel trim values on my venture I was unable upload a snapshot I took.

The LT Trim was -10.9
The ST Trim was 0.0 to -3.8

I need more directions on this acording to some of the other posts these numbers should be furthur into the neg

Thanks Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 05 Feb 2012 02:34 #9

• Scott Castleberg
Hi Aaron!

Based on your numbers, the computer is learning the groove. Did you reset the computer by removing the positive battery cable and connecting it to a ground using a jumper cable? If not, do this and your ST & LT trims will drop.

Also, are these numbers on a up to temp engine, at idle?

One more thing. I noticed your using OBDCOM v2.4. Is this the diagnostic software that comes with the cable for $87.00? How is it working for you?

Looking forward to your response.

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 05 Feb 2012 02:52 #10

• Aaron Knorr
Hi Scott

Those numbers are with temp up and at idle I'm going to try and reset the system again I had also checked vaccum and it was at 16 psi. And yes that software seems to be working fine for me I had paid 99.00 for mine it moniters tps,speed,rpm,mileage,hp,torque,lt and st fuel trim,water temp,air temp,map, and if you own a fast car you can clock your 0-60 with it, I like to program so far no complains, will see you later

Thanks Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 05 Feb 2012 03:19 #11

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Aaron those fuel trims are right where they need to be it`s teaching the long term. Good job!!!!!

Re: 2005 Chev Venture 05 Feb 2012 03:30 #12

• Aaron Knorr
Hi Dan
This van was grooved over a month ago and I do have more power but fuel mileage is not any better maybe I'm expecting to much to soon and also this throttle has a idle air passage coming in and possibly afecting air the air flow this was one mod that I yet not have figured out yet I'm just started thinking about maybe trying to plug th hole then drilling a small hole to reroute it away

Thanks Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

• Page: