Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: I am new to the forum

I am new to the forum 12 Jul 2012 01:34 #1

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone...I am new to the forum and hope to learn a lot from reading your posts.. and if I get stuck with something I am going to be asking a lot of questions..
My best.. Patti

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: I am new to the forum 12 Jul 2012 21:07 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Patti/Groovygal welcome to the forum!! You are welcome to ask questions, we all learn that way:) Some of those on here have been grooving for several years, some for months or less. All are here to share and learn as we go.

BTW that's a great handle ya picked!

Do take time to look around the site including documents section. The youtube channel GadgetmanGlobal has tons of testimonial/experience vids and more. When I was new I watched Ron's videos on this site and everywhere I could on this site repeatedly to study them.

Overall this is a freindly bunch here and there is a TON of knowledge sitting around here. The insight and advanced concepts could equal graduate training if you want to really dig in. Or just want to find out about grooving your own ride, that's great too!;)

When you get to asking questions, attaching pic's to a post really helps if you can. Speak right up and ask away! You might start by telling us about your vehicle, year make model engine size etc.

And again, read everything you can on both the Website and all over this forum to help you understand the concept of Grooving an engine. We look forward to learning with you!!

Welcome to the forum and Gadgetmanland, Gadgetgal!:cheer:

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: I am new to the forum 12 Jul 2012 21:25 #3

• Kimchiman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Also new here. Just sayin' hi from Canuckistan, on the Left Coast. Lookin' forward to being 'groovy'!

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 04:38 #4

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Hi Tracey I do have a lot of questions..Ron grooved my 2010 4 door stick shift Focus 3 days ago. He said he could not find the place on the engine where the vacuum line or PCV line came into the TB side of the engine..besides it was 110 degrees ambient temp.. it was hot working on it. I have the suspicion that you can't get to it unless you are under the car to find it.. I did get the personal license from him and I have looked at the DVD twice and many of the videos on line..Lots of good info there but I still cant find where that line is that I need to disconnect and plug..

The other thing is that my mpg digital read out after the mod was still 34.5 mpg's.. bit when I filled up it dropped down to 25 mpg.. I realize that disconnecting the battery and grounding it during the mod should have reset it but it didn't until I reset my trip meters...then it dropped..

If I remember what he said correctly I need to plug the intake side of that vacuum line near the TB to shut that off..If I am wrong about this please let me know and please give me a clue as to how to get to it...Let me know if I have to take some pictures of this engine..

Many thanks to any groover who can help me out there... groovygal

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 05:03 #5

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy I just did a groove a few hours ago on a small Echo engine I have...Next will be the carb on my Trencherman...it was not hard..groovygal/Patti

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 06:40 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Groovygal, wow you're quick! Good for you on the small engines! Maybe its just me but I found Grooving a lot easier with a vice to hold the TB or carb being grooved. I bought a Panavice model 301 from they are here in Reno NV. You are off to a super start, my congrats to ya!

Ok on your Focus... I dont have any info here on the PCV setup for that car. I would first try searching the Net to look for info/pics.. try Google-ing 2010 Ford Focus PCV location. OK I just tried that on the first page of search results I found links to a few focus forums where people were asking same question. I tried to paste in the link but it came up here as lines of code! Just Google-search that and look through the results. I did read folks talking that it's easier to see/access from underneath the car. Look under exhaust manifold driver side for starters.

Once ya find the critter follow the hose on PCV valve to how/where it connects to intake manifold downstream from throttle body--that will be a connection to manifold vacuum. Idea is to leave PCV valve intact If the PCV Valve itself is connected to the Crankcase. One end of PCV will always be into man. vac other into crankcase. A PCV Valve can potentially be on either end of the hose. We just want to cap off the Manifold Vacuum port the PCV hose connects to and move the open end of PCV hose to tee in to the breather hose.

Breather hose will go from downstream of air filter to crankcase, most often to the valve cover. If you find and identify these hoses/connections you can realize they form an air flow path. Fresh filtered air enters between air filt. and TB, goes into crankcase. This fresh air mixes w/ blowby and crankcase fumes. It's then drawn through PCV valve and into intake manifold to be burned w/ air/fuel charge in cylinders.

Whole "curcuit" is "powered" by MANIFOLD VACUUM, and this acts as a big Vacuum Leak reducing manifold vacuum level. Any reduction in Man. Vac hurts the Groove effect and MPG! So we just allow crankcase gases to enter engine BEFORE TB, to be burned as before. As airflow increases w/ more throttle opening there is a slight pressure drop (vacuum) in the air intake duct. This along w/ slight crankcase pressurization from blowby ensures these gases will travel this revised path into engine. But this way we conserve vital Manifold Vacuum.

Groovygal, have a good look around the site for more about PCV Re-routing. There is another thread on this page with good pics of how another Gadgetman re-worked the PCV hose, I cant remember the name its late here! Just look around here you will find it.

PLease keep asking questions you are doing GREAT!!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 07:00 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hey Kimchiman Welcome to the forum! Gadgetman Land is growing right now, we are excited to see lots of new folks! Canuckistan is cool I played music up there MANY years ago...You guys have the best beer....

Well if you want to tell us about you vehicle, and ask questions, just fire away. Lots of experienced Gadget-Folk here and lots of new blood too! Do look around this website extensively watch every video and read everything you can in documents and forum posts. If you have a Personal Liscence, watch the DVD Closely, lots of critical info there. If you do this you will likely answer many questions, and have new ones too...Thanks for coming to GadgetmanLand!!

TracyG GadgetmanReno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 17:54 #8

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Tracy I think your sent a message to me that was meant for Kimchiman..it was in my mailbox this morning.

groovygal/Patti

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 18:14 #9

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy, I see where the PCV valve lives... There is a line coming out the top to the top of the air intake just at the flexible part of the rear air intake hose and then there is another hose/tube attached to the front of the air intake right next to the TB that goes off into the back top side of the engine. I have taken five different pictures with my Smart phone but do not know how to upload pictures to the forum yet..I am going to load them into my computer now..

groovygal/Patti

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 18:31 #10

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Patti,

Welcome aboard.

Down below the text box where it says attachments, click on add file, select the image file you want to upload and click okay.

After you have selected a file it gives you the option to insert the image into the text box. Where ever you have the cursor at that time is where the image will be inserted.

On the Ford Focus...

When you get your pic's loaded we'll have a better idea of what you've got.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 19:00 #11

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:cheer: OK here are some pictures..

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: I am new to the forum 13 Jul 2012 19:07 #12

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl I think I put too many pictures on my reply..some of them definitely got cut off...groovygal/Patti

• Page: