Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg?

testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 10 Jan 2013 02:39 #1

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
get a clear fuel filter plastic 5sixteenths line plug 1 side and fill 1 fourth full of gas then hook hose to intake vacuum start and take out and drive hose pointed up cap at bottom watch the fuel trims lower. Ive gotten an increase on everyone ive done. The groove inhances the hydrocarbon mix.

the fuel is under total vacuum. No air untill intake, the vapors move slowly into the intake under complete vacuum when the intake valves open and shut they allow the gas vapors only to rise gravity keeps liquid down. The filter will become ice cold as the vaccum increases, its total vacuum.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 10 Jan 2013 03:38 #2

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Dan,

Thanks for this gift. I'm excited about it and want to try it. I'm trying to follow your sentences and getting a bit lost though. So with the intent to clarify, am I right in rewriting the first paragraph this way:

Get a clear plastic fuel filter with a 5/16" line. Plug one end of it and fill the other end 1/4 full of gas. Hook that end to a section of hose and connect it to intake vacuum (do you mean a port on the plenum or something else?). Start the engine and (take what out? or do you mean take the vehicle out for a spin?)...while driving, keep the end connected to the hose pointed up, with the capped end pointed down. Watch the fuel trims lower!

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 10 Jan 2013 05:58 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Perfect!:silly: Makes total sense to me...with a bit of engineering this idea could be incorporated as an installB) but only as a project on one's own car for starters to experiment?

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 13 Jan 2013 05:09 #4

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dan,

Is there any special reason you recommend a 5/16" filter? (the nipple where my PCV used to connect is 3/8" for instance so that's what I plan on using).

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 19 Jan 2013 21:26 #5

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Dan,

I connected a fuel filter 1/4 full as described, to the PCV port on the intake plenum. I added a hose clamp over the cap at the other end of the filter to help seal it.

When I try to start the vehicle I have to give it more gas or it dies instantly. Only with the pedal down can I keep the rpm's up enough for it to maintain idle.

Any suggestions?

I can post a video if it would help.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 19 Jan 2013 21:58 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
use smaller line remember air cond uses orfice small to vapor phase

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 21 Jan 2013 00:14 #7

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jonathan, it appears you have this assembly connected to the PCV port. If this is allowing a flow, then it will need to be stopped.

If the purpose of this is to allow filtration of the oil/water vapor from the crankcase, it should be connected to the breather tube (showing in the lower front of the valve cover) allowing the highest possible vacuum.

Just my opinion, mind you...

Ron

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 21 Jan 2013 02:44 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Johnathan put a hose clamp at the PCV fitting on intake where hose from gas filter is, might be a vac. leak there.

Then tee that open PCV hose into the breather hose visible at front of valve cover. This PCV/Breather hose connection mod is worth doing even if the TB isn't Grooved yet, my 2 cents!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 21 Jan 2013 04:59 #9

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have a close friend that had just had his truck worked on and it still had issues but I did recommend that he remove the PCV hose from the manifold and redirect it to the intake side.

He did that and told me that the difference was obvious, engine runs better, shifts smoother (hmmm... vacuum on the auto trans ?)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 21 Jan 2013 13:23 #10

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
IF the vehicle is not Grooved, then that's fine. Still, I encourage all to remove the PCV from the system. Then, in the case of the condensator, it should be in the breather hose as it is the outlet for the crankcase.

No need for that hose at all...

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 21 Jan 2013 16:17 #11

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. This is a vehicle that has been grooved.

It's my attempt to copy the set up Dan described at the beginning of this thread, so it's not a trap for PCV vapors. I used the PCV port because it's the easiest vacuum line for me to use (normally it's capped). This mod is also not a bubbler and is not supposed to allow any air in, though I don't think I've succeeded in accomplishing that yet as my fuel filter doesn't get very cold, and my engine dies if I don't rev it. I think I'm flooding it with my present set up, but don't know why I have to give it more gas to keep it from dying. (Do those two things normallly go together?) The lack of sufficient vacuum, and need to rev it are where I'm stuck at the moment, so I'm going to try a skinnier line as Dan suggested, put a hose clamp on the line to the PCV port as Tracy suggested and see what happens.

I also need to eventually T the open PCV hose into the breather and add a cool trap like you did Tracy!

In spite of having a hose clamp on it, I suspect the capped end of my fuel filter is still not air tight. Any suggestions on how to seal it better? I could tighten the hose clamp more, but I'm worried about cracking it.

Re: testing your own vehicles, wanna gain 2 to 4 mpg? 21 Jan 2013 17:07 #12

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
EVERYTHING attached to the intake manifold steals a little or a lot of that precious force we call "Vacuum".

Please, please, PLEASE! Remove that line and reattach it someplace else, Jonathan (and whoever else is attaching MORE lines to the intake instead of REMOVING them). It is increasing the likelihood of a leak, and that is something we do not need.

• Page: