Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ignition and the Groove--update

Ignition and the Groove--update 11 Apr 2013 23:58 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hello all. Well I'm here to shout PAY ATTENTION to your ignition system folks!

I don't have any numerical data yet, just my fanny-Dyno and my senses. But my '85 Subaru, the one I've done a double Groove on and now have seriously upgraded the ignition on, just runs better than I ever thought possible.

I strongly believe that ignition improvements can really support the Groove's results. The recommendation to open your plug gap starting w/ 20% and continuing until there's a misfire is a Great start. If you or a customer are willing to invest more time and $$ then more gains can be had, depending on the vehicle.

My car has a distributor and uses a magnetic type pickup and amplifier, first gen. type electronic ignition. I had no clue how much room for improvement it had.

TO summarize, here's my upgrades:

1. replaced canister coil w/ new old stock Jacobs chrome coil.

2. Added MSD Streetfire CDI ignition box. Lowest output cheapest MSD box available.
3. Had to add MSD Tach adapter to keep car ECM happy, likely needed on many cars/ w/ computer.

4.Replaced stock Nippondenso ignition amplifier (died) w/ GM HEI module, using folded tinfoil behind/ underneath it as heat sink--thanks, Jake for the tip!

5. Replaced stock type NGK resistor spark plugs w/20% increased gaps, w/ Torquemaster non resistor spark plugs. These have a 360 degree gap built in, you don't re-gap these. source: Extreme Spark – spark plugs ,auto parts

6. Today installed Granetelli MPG+ zero-resistance spark plug wires. These use a stranded stainless steel core and a small ferrite ring on dist. end to stop electronic noise. Interestingly, Granetelli says NOT to use the supplied coil wire (for this app.) if using an MSD or other CDI box. So I just left my existing spiral-core coil wire in place. Got these through JC Whitney.

Results......wow WOW! :evil:

And now I believe my theory about Ignition and the Groove has merit. Because I now have so much more torque and response even immediately right off idle. I have to learn to drive my lil' Subie again, I found myself taking my foot out of it, this humble little station wagon!

IT just makes sense to me- since by using less throttle so much more of the time, the manifold vac. has to be higher. That has to directly help the Groove. It truly is like the original effect of the Groove has been doubled.

Again no emperical numbers yet, but mah Fanny don't lie! :lol:

(Vaporised) fuel+ compression + Spark = Power

Ok, I'm done ranting! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: