Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mapster result

Mapster result 14 May 2013 23:00 #1

• Peter Gries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
A while ago I grooved my 2000 Honda Insight--originally pegged at up to 70 mpg. Though my lifetime mpg is a respectable 56.8, it's no where near 70. Did the groove with the first Personal License instruction, have not yet redone it with the corrected version. While the mpg was about the same, it was noticeably quicker of the mark, though top end torque was still wanting. Just installed the mapster. No amount of tweaking seemed to make any difference in the TPS percentage, I left it about halfway.

Just completed a 244 mile run down I-5 and while the OBD II scanner indicated "only" 52 mpg, filled the tank and it only took 3.47 gallons, which equates to a fraction over 70 mpg. Nice! However, it consistently kept pulling a code--P0172, "system too rich". Further info given:"Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust)."

Does this mean that the "too little oxygen" is the result of the fuel burning more completely?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mapster result 15 May 2013 01:15 #2

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61

Peter Gries wrote: A while ago I grooved my 2000 Honda Insight--originally pegged at up to 70 mpg. Though my lifetime mpg is a respectable 56.8, it's no where near 70. Did the groove with the first Personal License instruction, have not yet redone it with the corrected version. While the mpg was about the same, it was noticeably quicker of the mark, though top end torque was still wanting. Just installed the mapster. No amount of tweaking seemed to make any difference in the TPS percentage, I left it about halfway.

Just completed a 244 mile run down I-5 and while the OBD II scanner indicated "only" 52 mpg, filled the tank and it only took 3.47 gallons, which equates to a fraction over 70 mpg. Nice! However, it consistently kept pulling a code--P0172, "system too rich". Further info given:"Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust)."

Does this mean that the "too little oxygen" is the result of the fuel burning more completely?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Peter

Peter,
Was the code consistently showing up since you did the groove or only after you installed the mapster?

If it was only after you pulled the code I would start reducing the mapster down to the point that this code no longer appears. Just in small increments to find the sweet-spot, unless you don't mind the code popping up. A rich condition read by the computer is going to tell the vehicle to add less fuel, which is what we want because with the better combustion we are achieving with the groove we don't need as much. But to answer your question, more of the oxygen is being used up as well as mixed with the fuel more efficiently so that less of it is getting to the first O2 sensor.

I have yet to play with a mapster, but seeing the results posted makes me want to grab one or two for testing.

Hope I answered your question.
Ken

Mapster result 15 May 2013 16:48 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hey Peter, that's my common-sense conclusion of that.

h How is driveability now? Hey if ya get great MPG, good driveability, and no issues but this too rich OBD11 code, I'd say the car is in Fat City! :lol:

'bout all I might suggest is to see if you can get any better w/ spark plug upgrade.

Good for You, Peter!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Mapster result 17 May 2013 13:52 #4

• Peter Gries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for your comments, Ken and Tracy. To answer the question: No, the code was only activated after installing the Mapster. The groove had no effect on it. I've turned down the setting one revolution, we'll see what happens with that. Tracy--spark plug upgrade? The Insight uses only "specially calibrated" 100k mile spark plugs, and I let the dealer do it, since the car was 350 miles away, being driven by my wife--who was teaching at UO (Eugene OR). She still has it, which is why I turned the knob a full revolution, rather than in smaller increments.

Also, just installed the mapster in my daughter's previously grooved 1997 Honda Civic (non Vtec). She had complained about the poor mpg, so I grooved it and got somewhat better, but not much-a little less than 30 mpg on the road. Did not touch the PCV as from what I could see, it entered the system before the throttle body.

Installing the Mapster got better results, 42 mpg on I-5, going over Snoqualmie Pass, from Seattle to Ellensburg- about 100 miles. But still could not get any discernible differences in TPS no matter which way I turned the knob. So I left it about halfway.

• Page: