Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternative ECU reset technique for Hyundai

Alternative ECU reset technique for Hyundai 07 Aug 2013 20:17 #1

• Grant
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone,
I saw this on a Hyundai forum for resetting the ECU

"
Firstly bring the car to normal operating temperature by driving for 15 minutes or so.
Now open the bonnet and disconnect the earth lead from the battery, ensure this is not touching any part of the bodywork - insulate if necessary - and wait 5 minutes.
Next depress the foot brake for 20 seconds - this will completely discharge the ECU's capacitors via the brake lights.
The next step (to be carried out immediately, while the engine is still warmed-up) is to carefully re-connect the battery earth lead, close the bonnet and now drive the car in a spirited fashion (accelerating rapidly through the gears, full-throttle straights etc. etc.) for a full 30 minutes. Try to choose a quiet time on the roads for this, (i.e. early on a Sunday morning!)."

This is different from a method previously suggested whereby both battery leads are disconnected from the battery and electrically connected to each other to discharge the capacitors in the ECU.

Question: will either of these methods work ?

Thanks
Grant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Alternative ECU reset technique for Hyundai 08 Aug 2013 21:08 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Either method will dump the computer's adaptive memory taking back to a stock baseline. The Hyundai method I would use on whatever Hyundai's were referenced on that forum.

Gadgetman re-learn procedure is similar but more methodical, I've done it about a dozen times, and got immediate results 9 times. MY Subaru is one of the 3 that didn't immediately respond completely, though there WAS better throttle response after my 2nd Groove job. But, hey, THAT car seems like it's in a world of its own.

Si I would say-use that Hyundai method on the Hyundai's that forum was talking about. I stick to the Gadgetman re-learn method as developed by Ron Hatton and some other top Gadgetmen.

But feel free to search for other methods for this, if ya find anything else that sounds promising, let us know, Grant. BTW, have you done a re-learn on anything yet?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Alternative ECU reset technique for Hyundai 12 Aug 2013 11:51 #3

• ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
While that method sounds like it would be a lot of fun, when I'm serving a client, they are usually not the sort to like driving "in a spirited fashion". I think to have them do that would only scare them! Not only that, but it would use more fuel that is not necessary to clear the ECU.

I prefer keeping things simple.

Is there a reason for seeking an alternative method? The approved clearing method has always worked for me (sorry, Tracy!) and it happens as you're doing The Groove. No wasted time and (better yet) no wasted fuel!

Ron

• Page: