Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oxygen Sensor Extender

Oxygen Sensor Extender 08 Jan 2014 14:09 #1

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone know how oxygen sensor extenders work with the groove??

..........Greg P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Oxygen Sensor Extender 08 Jan 2014 15:47 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Greg, if memory serves, Ron Described this some time back. Idea as I recall is that in the exhaust pipe (or any pipe w/ gas or fliud flow gas thought of as a fluid) fastest flow is towards center of pipe diameter. Slower flow against pipe walls. Remember the Coanda Effect or perhaps boundary Layer effect. OK now HC molecules/particles in exhaust stream have more mass than just hot gas. These will tend to gather in gas rolling down pipe inside wall.
By adding extender to O2 sensor, we move sensor tip closer to pipe interior wall,away from center of gas stream where there is more HC and other larger molecules present than in center of gas flow. The heavier stuff against pipe walls will displace more oxygen than the lighter stuff towards center of gas flow.
In effect we are making O2 sensor tip sniff an analogue to a "richer mix" of exhaust gas, one where some less O2 is present. Theory goes that as O2 senses less oxy., it will cause ECM to trim back fuel. If you did the O2 extender, could be useful to have scantool O2 readings w/ hot engine, before/after the extender install. Also remember the caution about O2's w/ more than 50 K on 'em.

Also the Groove does not "lean out" the A/F ratio. A successful Groove will cause more complete combustion, that uses up more oxygen, so O2 sees less oxygen in exhaust. Basic rule for O2 sensor voltages is "Lean is Low" so hot engine O2 values ideally go higher voltage within the range. That's for simple O2's dont remember all the tech for newer A/F ratio type O2's and other multi-wire ones.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Oxygen Sensor Extender 05 May 2014 16:16 #3

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Also there are what are called 'mini cat' extenders which have some catalyst built in.
These are said to work without a catalytic converter! For off-road applications only of course.

Look here:
Mini Cat 304 Stainless Steel [MC-01] - $39.95 : Innovative Performance, Home of Voodoo Manual Turbo Boost Controllers

Any experience or ideas?

Oxygen Sensor Extender 05 May 2014 22:43 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hmm, JV this is new to me. Just guessing here- but the dinky catalyst in this extender, well it's going to "treat" the gas before it touches the O2 sensor. Got me scratching the head what result might be for a rear O2 sensor...do ya know any more 'bout this gizmo, who uses it and why? Is this to fool a rear O2 when there is no regular cat for offroad?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Oxygen Sensor Extender 06 May 2014 20:22 #5

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
I know next to nothing about this, the email response I got back from the company was, "it's for off-road use/testing purposes, etc."
However, I heard from an exhaust repair-man that he seen it work without a catalytic converter.

Question:
I wonder if the absence of a catalytic converter would improve fuel economy since there would be less blockage? This is assuming that the o2 sensors were satisfied of course.

I might experiment with this concept.

• Page: