Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 29 Jan 2014 09:11 #1

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I just have a personal license , wonder if i can do a free job as practice, it is 99 Ford F150 4x4 4.2L engine short bed about 170,000 miles and if OK what kind of response would this truck get....
..........Greg P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by namtegdag Ky.. Reason: forgot to sign it

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 29 Jan 2014 12:50 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Greg based on what Ron told me a few months ago, I'd say go for it! you could feed my a a aaddiction for pics and document it if you like. And get some more Groove practice too.

I would ask owner if the O2's have been replaced...and a scantool that allows viewing sensor data streams would be real helpful. Seeing the sensor data stream as engine runs, you can watch st/lt fuel trims, O2 sensor values, and whatever that particular tool will do.

I've not done the smaller Fords yet, but all Ford TB's I've seen/done so far have been real easy. IAC's are mounted separately, I haven't modded any Ford IAC's yet. PCV systems-well see what I posted re: the '03 F150 Super Crew 5.4 Triton it was real cute, but I did get it. Based om my own exp. so far, I think Ford's need the PCV mod, the one I just did got stronget throttle response after the PCV mod, before I re-Grooved TB w/ the double Groove.

I'd turn it into a learning and sharing experience.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 29 Jan 2014 17:07 #3

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
the way I would approach this is offer him half price and if he likes the groove have him do the other vehicle or his relatives for full price. remember your bits will only last so long and you will need to purchase new ones. You will do fine as for practice if you have the toools you will do fine.

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 29 Jan 2014 18:06 #4

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok thanks Guys.....if i do it , it may be a while depending on the weather. Does any one know what kind of response this motor could expect??...........Greg P

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 29 Jan 2014 18:17 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I drive one every day they are probably only getting 13mpg on highway right now as they are way under powered. with groove 18 add my cold vapor system 23 to 25 mpg thats with the groove.

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 29 Jan 2014 18:26 #6

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK Thanks Dan...................Greg P

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 11 Feb 2014 20:08 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hey Greg, this Ford 4.2L is this a V-6 or V-8? I did a V-6 '05 Ford plastic one last week, think it was 4.0 L? Excellent results customer is thrilled w/ increased throttle response and broader power band, and overall driveability. He believes he will see a MPG gain as well, too early for that yet.

This one was black plastic, took extra time and attention, esp. w/ the integral IAC air duct. I took your lead from your GM TB's on that. Cust. said he would post here to share, if he doesn't soon I will ask to post his email/pics he sent. So-is this Ford you speak of a V-6?

Here's a peek at this Grooved, IAC mod'ded Ford V-6 TB

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: pics

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 11 Feb 2014 21:02 #8

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy G. The Ford i was talking about is a 6 cylinder. It has aluminum TB two butterflys. Best i can remember. I,ve been watching your posts on the Fords , taking some pointers. for the iac reroute. I noticed you put lower and upper groove on the plastic TB . I think if i do another upper and lower groove i will send it to someone who has a back bit for the upper groove, just to see if there is a difference in performance and mpg. We have been haveing lots of cold weather here for about a month now. Not so good for mileage. I was out today for a few hours in town had to make few stops , and after the last stop over about 2 and half hours , my truck seemed to just run better i guess every thing finaly got warmed up......... The iac 9/64 hole on the chevy so far seems to be o.k. no codes yet , thought i would wait a bit longer then make a post about it.
Nice smooth work you did on that plastic TB with the jb weld . ...............Greg P

Is it OK to do a groove for free 99 Ford f150 4x4 4.2L 11 Feb 2014 22:20 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks, Greg! :cheer:

Yes cold weather plays hob w/ mileage. Good for you that it's a 2-bbl Tb on your end, I've had very good results w/ those too. I'm still learning the Ford galaxy of engine and Tb combo's (ooh that was Bad!) I haven't yed modded any of the remotely mounted ford IAC's, just this plastic one's air duct. I'm waiting for cust. to post here 'bout it, said he would, he's real happy w/ it. One way or another I'll do a post about it, think I've got the Formula for this one. When you wanna try the double, drop me an email.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: