Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting Started

Getting Started 08 Jul 2014 13:37 #1

• sbitney
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi: I have been trying to get a hold of the Gadjetman to get started with a personal license for over a week now. So I was wondering if there was something up or does it take a while for a response.
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Getting Started 15 Jul 2014 19:30 #2

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sbitney,
Sorry nobody answered you quickly.
I will send off a message to Tracy who is in contact with the person responsible for the personal license.
Hopefully you should hear a response within a day or two.
Karl

Last edit: by Karl411.

Getting Started 15 Jul 2014 19:45 #3

• sbitney
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Karl thanks for helping out, but Collette has gotten back to me a few days back and my license is in the mail!!!

Getting Started 16 Jul 2014 16:01 #4

• ColletteThomas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey everyone, I'd like to introduce Gary Sbitney from Canada. He is a new Personal License holder, and anxious to get started! Welcome Gary, and we look forward to all you have to offer here in Gadgetmanland. Whether it's solutions, problems, or pictures, we'd like to see whatever it is :)
Talk to you soon! Collette

Getting Started 16 Jul 2014 21:00 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Gary I'd like to welcome you to Gadgetman Land! :cheer:

You're already registered in the forum. So if you like, tell of what you want to apply the Gadgetman Groove to, ask Q/A, take and post pics of what you work on so we can chime in and help if ya need it. Personally I've been priveleged to learn from many Gadgetmen here. You never know where an answer is going to come from, or from who... ;)

Welcome aboard, Gary!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Getting Started 17 Jul 2014 16:42 #6

• sbitney
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you for the warm welcome Tracy and Collette. Yes I am looking forward in getting started. got my dremel set up ready to go, a couple tubes of JB weld. I have a few engines to do, I want to start out on my 02 Avalanche with a 5.3, next is a 95 BMW 318is then if my wife lets me I will tackel the 2013 F150 with the 5 litre. And then there is my one daughter's 08 Mazda 3, the other daughters Triumph TT600 and the a couple of Acura integra's my son is tricking out not to mention the yard equipment. So yeah I am looking to get started.
Thanks

Getting Started 17 Jul 2014 20:33 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Thats a great lineup for starting out Gary. I think the 02 Avalanche may be cable driven not drive by wire. There is significant diff in grooving the 2 types. If you can post a pic or two of the Avalanche TB it will be obvious. If it is DBW, first off don't clean the dark carbon stain out of the TB! A look at pics of this one and we can tell how to go.

The Ford must be DBW. For each one pics of the TB first will help us help you.

Good idea to have small container of power steer. fluid at hand to dip bit in for cooling. Might consider a first try on any old throttle body you can, maybe a junkyard cheapo one just to practice the feel of it. Most basic technique is to set flat side of bit flat to underside of throttle plate, about a bit-head width in from left end throttle shaft. Hold 'er steady and cut straight down, holding tool steady as you can. I use mostly 15-20 setting on my dremel 4000 speed wheel, not too fast. After first cut, it's a series of overlapping "chop cuts" to the right, I try to go a half a bit width to the right each cut. I 've tried Dan Merrick's idea of going not quite full depth each cut, doing a section of cuts 1/4 of total legnth of final Groove, then doing a right to left cleanup cut to full depth in that 1/4 section. Go for full depth of cut, without wallowing the cut out, cutting more and more to try for perfect shape just ruins it. I dip in oil after each cut to cool bit. I use a Panavice to hold the TB so I have both hands to steady the Dremel flex shaft tool. You will find your own best technique.

Remenber to check your Groove w/ a bright flashlight watching for breakthroughs both inside and out, do this every time on every Groove!

But do watch Ron's DVD until you feel you understand his technique.

Happy Grooving Gary, keep us posted as you go, this stuff is a blast!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: ColletteThomas

Getting Started 27 Jul 2014 23:26 #8

• Isaiah
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I don't know but i would reach out Collette.

• Page: