Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: MPG Basics - Tire Pressure

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 23 Jul 2014 22:41 #1

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Since tire pressure is being focused on lately and many who never over pressured their tires before are finding the benefits of it, I thought I would post this video on an expert pushing experience on tire pressure.
I am not a hyper-miler but I have for years overinflated my tires for less friction and better coasting to improve my MPG and save at the pump. Even by only buying trucks with a manual stick for the very purpose of coasting to save fuel(longest coast was 5 miles in NC). Now am learning other more efficient ways of saving fuel and $$$ by dealing with the engine to improve fuel economy from the experts like Ron,Tracy and Dan on this site.

Here is an experienced expert supporting the claims on here of over-inflating tires for better mileage.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Karl411.

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 23 Jul 2014 23:32 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
A BIG Thank you to you Karl411!! :woohoo: :lol:

Mike Hollar is a Serious Guru for us Gadgetmen! I LOVE this guy! He has been around for years now, I can't even tell you guys how many cutting-edge mods and programs he has taught/run or supervised. Mike is a walking Library of Knowledge, I've taken one of his courses by mail, he knows his stuff.

I don't know where you found this series by Mike, but I'm glad ya did, Karl! Mike Hollar is who I learned the tire Press. trick from, and a lot more too...Ron Hatton visted Mike 2 years ago when I was about to become Certified, and they did research together on Mike's computerised Super Flow bench.

Awesome, thanks again Karl! We should make you Chief researcher and Info finder!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 24 Jul 2014 09:12 #3

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Tracy,
Been doing much research in the last few months and have come across hundreds of videos but very few I thought contained info that would benefit the groovers here. Most MPG improving videos were related to HHO.
Seems like I feel that there are easier ways to get much higher MPG without having to rig up a complicated device that robs voltage from your battery and then find room for it next to your engine.
Then to find it only gives nominal gains for many as so many have complained about(maybe the ECU being the culprit again?)

Was going to post the whole series he put out(6 I see so far) but thought this one was the easiest to implement that had noticeable benefits immediately.
I tend to take for granted people know this stuff about tires since I think its common sense but seeing that it seems more of a secret, I will be more aware of posting things. Just dont want to crowd this board/site with posts that seem to just take up space where important info/posts can be pushed to another page where newer people wont benefit from the info that could help them.
How about posting all MPG Mikes videos in one post where it can be easily accessed.
If you want me to do this then let me know and where it should be posted.
Karl

Last edit: by Karl411.

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 24 Jul 2014 11:26 #4

• Isaiah
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The video was informative.

I'm gonna try the recommended tire pressures of 5 over in the back and higher ing the front.

Isaiah
1995 GMC Jimmy 177,000 miles

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 24 Jul 2014 13:44 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Karl and Isaiah, Yeah the tire Press trick is so cool since it's basically free. Definitely worth trying. Mike Hollar is a favorite of mine for sure! :woohoo:

One cool thing about youtube vid's is that at end it always shows more related ones. When I watched MPG Mike's vid (Mike Hollar's "handle") it showed more of his to choose at the end. And I don't think ANY of Mike's video's would be clutter here, if wanted could just post a bunch of link's to them in one posting.

I understand about HHO-so much work and $$ for often so little gain. I first learned of Mike Hollar thru Dennis Lee's HAFC program in '07. I got one of the very first kits made in that program, and we were all waiting anxiously for the vaunted PICC "super System" that never came out due to development issues and Big Brotha... :angry: Mike was there the whole way, teaching classes in NJ hosting call in's and on and on...IT was a whole big deal, it was... Even Ron Hatton was into HHO, and even some of us G-Men have had success w/ it! Dan Merrick, well in addition to all he's done for us here, there is another type of Hydrogen gas supplement he came up, called Merrick's Gas, no kidding...

One Rabbit Hole at a time...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 24 Jul 2014 23:33 #6

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I bought one of those HAFC kits back a few years ago when Dennis Lee was pushing it.
Then I found I had to go to Jersey to get trained mechanics to hook it up.
What a bummer. :pinch:
If I would have known, would not have paid good money for it to sit in my attic.
Then someone else who bought it before me out in MO said she constantly was having to have it tuned and had her car konk out a couple of times because of it. Between the two problems, I didnt even consider hooking it up. Dont want anything to do with HHO now from all the effort and money with so much negative I hear from it.

Will get MPG Mikes videos together in one post. Just let me know where it should be posted.
Karl

MPG Basics - Tire Pressure 02 Aug 2014 23:26 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I just wanted to add a caveat to this thread---

Common sense must prevail w/ this "trick"!! We must remember that by increasing the tire press. to above rated limits- the rating in pounds per square inch is on sidewall of all tires- then of course vehicle suspension, brakes, front end & alignment AND the tires themselves MUST!! be in good/ top shape. Increasing the pressure reduces size of the contact patch- the footprint of how much tire rubber contacts pavement. Too much and tires will wear too much in center of tread. IF you "pump 'em up" and it feels weird too hard or squirrely- back it off some.

Equally important- in wet weather, sudden or panic maneuvers, or aggressive driving on curves- the smaller contact tire patch can reduce Traction :angry: :ohmy: :blink: . We MUST keep these in mind when increasing tire pressure. I expect to reduce my tire's press. when winter comes for example to the rated sidewall pressure. This is a great idea for MPG's, but might not be ideal in ALL situations. Use Common Sense. Enjoy the better mileage, but don't go Overboard either! B)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: