Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can one change which Long Term Fuel Trim throws a code?

Can one change which Long Term Fuel Trim throws a code? 25 Aug 2014 20:00 #1

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the ECU's breaking point?

For example, when my 'Long Term Fuel Trim' value reaches -17
I get an error code: P0170

Is there a way to delay the error code until the Long Term Fuel Trim reaches say, -25?
How can one, if possible, lower the value?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can one change which Long Term Fuel Trim throws a code? 25 Aug 2014 21:31 #2

• donsbach
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So this is what happens when you get groovy :woohoo: Just Kidding, kind of, anyway
2 choices,
You'll need to find someone that does engine tuning on your kind of car, not someone that sells them,but actually writes the code or
you could check with a injector cleaning shop(In the L.A. area of Ca. there is RC fuel injection)
Ive used them many times and have no prob. recommending them.
You need to see if there is a smaller injector possibility.

is the groove and PCV mod. the only thing done to your engine ????

Last edit: by donsbach.

Can one change which Long Term Fuel Trim throws a code? 26 Aug 2014 00:23 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
JV and Donsbach, I thought I'd try to add a little here. I'm not an ECU tuner, not yet anyway. But this article from Mike Hollar may help

Figuring out how to deal w/ the ECU is one of our biggest challenges, and I encourage anyone w/ knowledge here to please chime in!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Can one change which Long Term Fuel Trim throws a code? 26 Aug 2014 02:54 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
depends on the vehicle HP tuner can raise and lower perameters depending on ecu not done by non experienced people. must have experience on Hp as what you must do is overlay of maps and you must be very careful as if you change too much you can overide the protection device built in the ecu causing engine damage.

Remember if you change any load parameters you must also change your lean fuel limiters,small changes at a time the ecu wont pick up example map mass air are load controllers lean limiters cts iat coolant temp intake air temp all sencors do resistance checks when you start engine and shut down . map uses baro pressure outside to inside variance remember less air equals less fuel. hot engine will cut fuel back unless you pass high parameter as then will go into dump fuel mode to cool engine with extra gas. This is why its important not to adjust too much as it protects the engine. Hope this helps.

Thats why my cold vapor system works so well as the ecu is doing the work adjusting the sensors just enough fuel to maintain just inside the parameters. Ecu is adaptable but it must do the adjusting itself for the changes to stay. Remember it will adapt small incremints at a time.

The ecu must remain happy for no codes or it will go into limp mode or open loop to protect itself Its the gate keepers that protect the ecu. Dan Merrick

Last edit: by dan. Reason: spelling

Can one change which Long Term Fuel Trim throws a code? 26 Aug 2014 22:33 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Thanks for that Dan. Your system is a good example of what I call an "organic" mod, in that it is working w/ the ECU in a "natural" or organic manner if you will. Instead of trying to "fool" the ECU it plays the game the way the ECU wants to...hope this makes sense. I appreciate your explanations, they really help!
Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: